National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

national 2 south status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 26>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 14:10
Looks like the Clifton v Esher fixture on 5 March will be significant. 
My team are at Moseley that day so if I don't go there, Clifton could be a good option
Compassion for the conned, contempt for the conmen.
Darth Raider View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 16:20
i do hope that Lions get to complete their fixture list......they have had an excellent season and have recorded many good wins.  That said.....I echo 999 in that I think they will find it hard to push into the top 4.  Not impossible of course.....just very difficult given the standard of opposition, week in week out.

Worth noting that the already excellent Clifton pack and front row, were bolstered at the weekend when the London Scots hooker and skipper, Selway, joined them.   Ouch
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 19:55
Mind you, with one up, none down and the county championship to play, who knows.
I believe there is no penalty for not playing dead rubbers after the official end of the season.
Sweeney Delenda Est
honestinjun View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honestinjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 00:39
Hi Darth, it was a game of attrition at Barn Elms..first half we played well enough but were turned over or knocked on a few times which too often meant we lost attacking positions..a yellow card right at the end of the half passed the advantage to Esher at halftime 6-8. There was a strong wind in our favour too in that first period which didn’t use well enough. In the second half Esher dominated possession (at least 70% I would say) and we were pinned in our own half for much of the time. It was a testament to our defence that we only conceded one try, despite them being camped on our line for much of the last quarter.
HonestInjun
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 00:45
Guernsey’s rearranged match schedule is getting lengthy. The first date available to play Lions is 14th May! Guernsey are due at Esher next week, let’s hope that doesn’t fail foul of COVID otherwise that would go back to 21st May!!

Our match at Barnes was dominated by the strong wind and Esher’s injury list. Barnes players saw this as their Cup Final so put everything into it but never really looked like scoring a try. Esher scored two and controlled the whole of the second half but passing with the wind proved difficult and Barnes defended well. 

Clifton Away is looking like a key match. Clifton have got a lot of reinforcements from Bristol while Esher have lost at least 3 to season-ending injuries. Some of the replacements are good but the cupboard is getting bare! 

Edited by Halliford - 31 Jan 2022 at 00:46
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 19:48
Crazy game at The Haberden today...OA's outscoring Bury 7 tries to 5 but Reed's immaculate display with the boot was the difference. Dan Watt had a conversion to win the match but missed, however the Bury players were unsporstamnlike in their attempted charge down and so the kick was retaken but again, agonisingly slid wide.  Both defence coaches will be having kittens. Bury shaded the set piece but the two wingers for OA's were outstanding.  4on the bounce for Bury now, but a big test next week vs Lions who put them to the sword earlier in the season.

cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 20:38
Pretty impressive win for the Choppers at home. 
With a visit to Clifton next week it’s all to play for.

Edited by cheshire exile - 05 Feb 2022 at 20:41
stato View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 21:06
We spoke to the league this week just to get clarity on May fixtures as a few are going in there. As things stand rules same as before - games in May can be voided if both teams agree and has no impact on any form of promotion/relegation/level transfer (which this year it could do with the league split depending on the formulas they use). League have to agree to the void but have said no reason they wouldnt if all of the above criteria are met. A lot if it will come down to what do clubs feel they may lose out on by not having a home game I would guess, and also their relationship with their CB as it will take players out of county teams
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 21:17
Experience says its the players and clubs that decide if they will play for the CB and not vice versa
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 21:34
Some clubs have preferred to host a County match over a dead rubber.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Blutarsky View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blutarsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 09:29
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Some clubs have preferred to host a County match over a dead rubber.

Depends on the county. Any Cornish club would be foolish to turn down a county game. 

Barnstaple missing 21 players through injury at the moment, including 15 regular first team. Good show on the road from them yesterday considering the team contained 10 players under 22, including three 18-year-olds. 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 12:26
Well done to Westcliff, whose persistence has finally paid off with a win  Clap  Aklso hoping the Barum injury situation improves,  but i suspect that at this stage of the season, they will be far from alone in that regard.

deep craziness at the Haberden......am hoping for good coverage on the National League show.  OA's will no doubt, be gutted to score 7 tries away from home and get beaten. It does remind me of a contrasting occasion when we hosted OA's many years back......scored 5 tries to 1 but lost by 2pts, virtue of no less than 9 pens kicked by their fly half on the day.   Another good win for BSE though Smile.

I had wondered if the Choppers title challenge might be falling away a bit, but they seem to be scoring freely again now.....no idea why ?  They are firmly back in it again.......too tough to call who comes out on top this year.....big shame only one going up really Ouch  

Esher did a minor version of the BSE game......outscored by Guernsey by 4 tries to 3, but still coming out narrowly on top......so the Molesey Rd boys stay top for now.  According to Halliford.....their squad depth will be sorely tested in the weeks ahead, but just two defeats by this point in the season is an outstanding effort.

I still think that Lions have left it too late to take the only promotion place, but that was a thumping win for them against combative Barnes.  Nobody will be looking forward to playing them in the weeks ahead.

Can anybody please point me in the direction of something written down as to the composition of Nat 1 next season ?  I know one team from each level 4 league goes up.......also that (i think) it reduces to 14 teams in total.  so just two relegated ?
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 14:06
I believe there are no dual reg players at Lions this season, they did have one from Coventry earlier in the season, but this is their own lads. The seconds lost away at Luctonians and the 3rds won their Leicestershire league match, the club is slowly growing with some good backroom staff too and a flourishing juniors too.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 15:07
Darth
Principles of promotion 13.2.7 and principles of relegation 13.2.8 in:

Sweeney Delenda Est
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 11:45
Thanks for that Camquin.....i've read it several times now.....not sure i properly grasp what will eventually transpire.

it seems that perhaps, it is still not known if a level 2 side will be relegated at season's end ?  

otherwise.......there will be 16 teams at level 3 next season.
there are 15 currently due to the demise of OE's.
1 will be promoted to level 2......leaving 14.
1 team from both existing level 4 leagues will be promoted......taking us back up to 16
i guess that means that nobody will be relegated from level 3 unless a level 2 side comes down ?

complex stuff and likely, too much for my ageing brain Ouch.

i was really just wondering if we were likely to see TJ's again next year  ?  it seems that the answer is that we don't know yet ?
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 13:48
Originally posted by Darth Raider Darth Raider wrote:

Thanks for that Camquin.....i've read it several times now.....not sure i properly grasp what will eventually transpire.

it seems that perhaps, it is still not known if a level 2 side will be relegated at season's end ?  

otherwise.......there will be 16 teams at level 3 next season.
there are 15 currently due to the demise of OE's.
1 will be promoted to level 2......leaving 14.
1 team from both existing level 4 leagues will be promoted......taking us back up to 16
i guess that means that nobody will be relegated from level 3 unless a level 2 side comes down ?

complex stuff and likely, too much for my ageing brain Ouch.

i was really just wondering if we were likely to see TJ's again next year  ?  it seems that the answer is that we don't know yet ?

Only going to be 14 teams at level 3 so winners of N2S and N2N promoted and 2 relegated, 1 promoted to level 3.

So highly probable TJs will be relegated
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 14:06
But it all depends on what happens at level 2 - there was a post on NCArugby.org saying that ti would stay at 12, but not seen anything on the RFU site - nor have we had confirmation of the Championship Cup format for this season, let alone next.

As Cambridge are still just about in the mix for the second promotion spot, it would be nice to know.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 14:24
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

But it all depends on what happens at level 2 - there was a post on NCArugby.org saying that ti would stay at 12, but not seen anything on the RFU site - nor have we had confirmation of the Championship Cup format for this season, let alone next.

As Cambridge are still just about in the mix for the second promotion spot, it would be nice to know.

Well, we all know who is to blame for the lack of clarity!
RAID ON
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 14:38
thanks for helping to clear that up a bit chaps.   i will now wait and see what is decided at level 2.

i do wonder how much geography will play a part in the composition of the 3 x 14 team leagues.  A great deal i imagine.  i remain concerned about the potential disparity in quality between the best and the worst in the new structure.  I for one would be hugely disappointed if we start seeing 100-0 results. Apart from the obvious concern, as to ridiculous, uncompetitive mis-matches......i think that there is also a conversation to be had on health grounds.......there being a higher risk of injury for teams and players who find themselves at significant physical disadvantage on most Saturdays.

i also assume that only one team will be promoted each year ?  another backward step for me....as the race for the playoff position and indeed, the playoff itself, conjure much interest and drama towards season's end. 
And level transfers.......will they become a thing of the past ?  i wonder how that might work.
either way......teams like my Raiders will have seen the last of Lions and Hinckley for a good while.  Shame...they have been a breath of fresh air and play quality rugby.
stato View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 20:13
So a few weeks back I worked out how the leagues might look if they were split North/East/West or North/Midlands/South. It will be interesting to see what direction they look to go. I think the North is set but whether its Midlands/South or East/West is very much up for debate, just because of how big the South is. These teams were taken as per the positions at the time, so of course some of these teams wont be in it:

North
Tynedale, Wharfedale, Huddersfield, Harrogate, Blaydon, Sheffield Tigers, Sedgley Park, Fylde, Rotherham, Otley, Preston, Blackburn, Chester, Hull Ionians

South East
Worthing, Barnes, Canterbury, Rochford, Bury, Esher, Tonbridge, Hertford, Sevenoaks, Dorking, OAs, Henley, Loughborough, Westcliff

South West
Redruth, Dings, Barnstaple, Leicester Lions, Exeter Uni, Newport Salop, Bridgnorth, Old Reds, Hornets, Luctonians, Bournville, Stourbridge, Guernsey, Hinckley

OR

North
Tynedale, Wharfedale, Huddersfield, Harrogate, Blaydon, Sheffield Tigers, Sedgley Park, Fylde, Rotherham, Otley, Preston, Blackburn, Chester, Hull Ionians

Midlands
Bury, OAs, Henley, Loughborough, Leicester Lions, Newport Saliop, Bridgnorth, Luctonians, Bournville, Stourbridge, Hinckley, Dings, Hornets, Guernsey (I know they arent midlands, but!!)

South
Worthing, Barnes, Canterbury, Rochford, Esher, Tonbridge, Hertford, Sevenoaks, Dorking, Westcliff, Redruth, Barnstaple, Exeter Uni, Old Reds 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 26>
  Share Topic