National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

national 2 south status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 26>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 21:37
Pedant alert; how can you put Loughborough in the south east and Leicester in the south west? 

Edited by cheshire exile - 07 Feb 2022 at 21:39
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 22:06
Originally posted by stato stato wrote:

So a few weeks back I worked out how the leagues might look if they were split North/East/West or North/Midlands/South. It will be interesting to see what direction they look to go. I think the North is set but whether its Midlands/South or East/West is very much up for debate, just because of how big the South is. These teams were taken as per the positions at the time, so of course some of these teams wont be in it:

North
Tynedale, Wharfedale, Huddersfield, Harrogate, Blaydon, Sheffield Tigers, Sedgley Park, Fylde, Rotherham, Otley, Preston, Blackburn, Chester, Hull Ionians

South East
Worthing, Barnes, Canterbury, Rochford, Bury, Esher, Tonbridge, Hertford, Sevenoaks, Dorking, OAs, Henley, Loughborough, Westcliff

South West
Redruth, Dings, Barnstaple, Leicester Lions, Exeter Uni, Newport Salop, Bridgnorth, Old Reds, Hornets, Luctonians, Bournville, Stourbridge, Guernsey, Hinckley

OR

North
Tynedale, Wharfedale, Huddersfield, Harrogate, Blaydon, Sheffield Tigers, Sedgley Park, Fylde, Rotherham, Otley, Preston, Blackburn, Chester, Hull Ionians

Midlands
Bury, OAs, Henley, Loughborough, Leicester Lions, Newport Saliop, Bridgnorth, Luctonians, Bournville, Stourbridge, Hinckley, Dings, Hornets, Guernsey (I know they arent midlands, but!!)

South
Worthing, Barnes, Canterbury, Rochford, Esher, Tonbridge, Hertford, Sevenoaks, Dorking, Westcliff, Redruth, Barnstaple, Exeter Uni, Old Reds 

Slightly controversial - not sure how Leicester Lions and Hinckley would react to being in S/W in your first scenario - especially Hinckley who are level transferred to N2S this season and could probably expect to return North.

I have to agree that Guernsey could be in either South group bearing in mind they are deemed to be based at an airport (Gatwick, but could be Bristol?).

I presume you have left Clifton out of level 4 as they were top of N2S, although Esher are now top with a game in hand and must be favourites.

My concern with all this is the number of teams being promoted to level 4 as a part of the expansion. Westcliff have just won their 1st game of the season at the 19th attempt and they were promoted of right in the current system.

DR has rightly raised the possibility of player safety - I wonder if this has even been considered.
RAID ON
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 23:26
The RFU won’t announce the Championship structure for next season until the Council has approved it. That is hoped to be at the next meeting. Don’t blame the RFU, the Level 2 Clubs have been their own worst enemies by focussing too much on money and too little on structure.

The probability is that Ealing will go up to the Premiership leaving 10 teams. 2 will go up to Level 2 to make 12 - remember that the 22/23 season at the top level is being truncated because of the World Cup. 

That means 2 up from National 1, leaving 13 so 1 down, 2 up from National 2 leaves 14. Then we sort out the 42 needed at Level 4! 30 left from this season plus 1 down means 11 up from 4 Leagues at Level 5. Dividing 11 by 3 doesn’t work! Whoops!

How the geography is done will be interesting. Previously road distance has been a determinant but will travel time trump that? My own personal view is to base it on the Motorway network so an M1 League, an M5 League and an M6 League. 

I’m glad I’m not on that Working Group!
Darth Raider View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 00:06
some good contributions here......and as usual...Halliford clarifies things quite nicely for us all. Clap

my biggest concern remains with the 11 teams coming up from the lower level and how this impacts the standard of competition that i both admire and wish to be sustained.

if you take am honest look at Nat2S this year....i believe that there are no less than six teams that have put their hands up as potential winners of our league.....yes....some are falling away a bit now, but the standard is uniformly excellent imo and there are almost no easy wins in any week.  outstanding imo Clap

also.....you see the team most recently relegated from Nat1 in 13th place ?  how is that for strength ?

Dings in 12th have 17 bonus points ffs ?  There really are no easy games.

i confess that as a spectator....i am loathe to lose this consistently fine spectacle,  

this is a mistake for me and i hope it gets corrected in the near term

p.s.  Nat2N looks like am amazingly competitive too this year.....and last....such a shame to ruin this high standard AngryOuch

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 08:59
Not quite sure why restricting the Premiership season, presumably by dropping the pointless cup, means the Championship needs to be curtailed - and more importantly why it prevents them going to 14 teams this season - if necessary dropping the pointless cup.

On the other hand, the council has not seen fit to reject the pointless reorganization of the community game, so I am not sure whether they will care overly about the details of Championship fixtures.
Sweeney Delenda Est
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 09:14
You are forgetting it's the same RFU that appointed Jones to the England job and he's still there even after last weeks embarrassing effort from those not on the pitch.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 11:17
I can only assume he has pictures of them doing something utterly disgusting, like playing Soccer.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Darth Raider View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 12:32
i watched the Irish.....quick ball to Sexton who interlinked excellently with Aki and Ringrose......both centres attacking space at speed.....finding gaps and creating tryscoring opportunities.  effective and good to watch.

I then watched a good english pack (and very good back row), manfully regain possession repeatedly, only for us to give the Scots defence all the time in the world to get organised, while we constructed our caterpillar and watched Youngs box kick possession straight back to them.  I find it utterly exasperating.
On the rare occasions Smith got to pass it wider, our own centres elected to put in grubber kicks......ignoring space and width created and again returning possession to our opponents. 

eddie prides himself that all his backs have a good kicking game.  I am heartily sick of it.  Apart from the fact it does not win us games of rugby, it is horribly predictable and terrible to watch.  time for a change methinks.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 12:55
The reason Smith shines at Quins is Danny gives him quick ball to work with and has centres and a back three who want to play running rugby. There is a thread on the Quins board called "Thank You, Eddie Jones", started by a scot.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 13:35
My understanding is that the "Regions" of Nat2 next year are already decided (North, SE & SW) although geographical lines can only be drawn once the participants are confirmed. If indeed we need 11 up from Level 5 then it will be 1st and 2nd from each of the RPL's plus the 3 best 3rd placed finishers.
The question of whether these teams will be good enough to compete is always asked by those that follow the League above
Prem questioning whether team coming up from the Championship will be good enough, Championship questioning if team(s) coming up from Nat1 will be good enough etc etc etc
Truth is very few promoted clubs excel at the level above but surely they deserve their chance and those that actually achieve an improved level of performance should be congratulated 
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 14:05
Originally posted by Darth Raider Darth Raider wrote:

i watched the Irish.....quick ball to Sexton who interlinked excellently with Aki and Ringrose......both centres attacking space at speed.....finding gaps and creating tryscoring opportunities.  effective and good to watch.

I then watched a good english pack (and very good back row), manfully regain possession repeatedly, only for us to give the Scots defence all the time in the world to get organised, while we constructed our caterpillar and watched Youngs box kick possession straight back to them.  I find it utterly exasperating.
On the rare occasions Smith got to pass it wider, our own centres elected to put in grubber kicks......ignoring space and width created and again returning possession to our opponents. 

eddie prides himself that all his backs have a good kicking game.  I am heartily sick of it.  Apart from the fact it does not win us games of rugby, it is horribly predictable and terrible to watch.  time for a change methinks.

Darth, I have to agree - at least twice we had clear overlaps on the left (more than 1 extra player), both times our centres kicked through. Total waste of time.

Edited by Raider999 - 08 Feb 2022 at 14:07
RAID ON
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 14:06
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

My understanding is that the "Regions" of Nat2 next year are already decided (North, SE & SW) although geographical lines can only be drawn once the participants are confirmed. If indeed we need 11 up from Level 5 then it will be 1st and 2nd from each of the RPL's plus the 3 best 3rd placed finishers.
The question of whether these teams will be good enough to compete is always asked by those that follow the League above
Prem questioning whether team coming up from the Championship will be good enough, Championship questioning if team(s) coming up from Nat1 will be good enough etc etc etc
Truth is very few promoted clubs excel at the level above but surely they deserve their chance and those that actually achieve an improved level of performance should be congratulated 

I think that applies to the winners from lower levels - but probably not to those that finish 3rd
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 14:24
It is the downside of trying to have more compact leagues.
You could take the 42 clubs that will be in National 2 and split them into three leagues of 14 by ability, there would be many fewer mismatches but much more travelling.
Remember, all the RFU was trying to do was reduce the travelling it pays for.
It may well find that the travelling in the new cups means it spends as much, but gives it to different teams.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 14:33
Raider999 - true I wouldn't like to think I was finishing 3rd in RPM then going upto Level 4 but remember this is a reorganisation that we all voted for right?? 😂😂
Chopper View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 15:57
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

If this is the new league structure, (N.SE.SW) then I cant see me watching the mighty Reds, might have to make the journey to London Cornish instead
Rothman2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 19:02
I think it is disgusting (unless am misreading this) that in the midst of all the reorganisation of lower levels that it seems there is only one up from Two North and Two South.

We were at the end of a diabolical decision 2 years ago when we were relegated with 5 games to go in favour of teamsv who finished second in National 2 without even having to go through the play offs. It was very galling as we had a great chance of catching Moseley.
This season there are four maybe five teams who could comfortably compete in National 1. Hull, ourselves Fylde  and Sedgley Park, and maybe Stourbridge, yet only one will succeed.

There will then be a lot of mismatched teams next season instead of (if a reorganisation is going to take place) promoting teams who, based on quality, should be at a higher level.

Regionalised Rugby is fine but not at the expense of diluting the product.

I expect that our league will come down to a one off game between Hull and ourselves in March, with the loser not even being given a shot at a play off game against a team in your league.
As one door closes…….another one slams in your face.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 19:38
Originally posted by Rothman2 Rothman2 wrote:

I think it is disgusting (unless am misreading this) that in the midst of all the reorganisation of lower levels that it seems there is only one up from Two North and Two South.

We were at the end of a diabolical decision 2 years ago when we were relegated with 5 games to go in favour of teamsv who finished second in National 2 without even having to go through the play offs. It was very galling as we had a great chance of catching Moseley.
This season there are four maybe five teams who could comfortably compete in National 1. Hull, ourselves Fylde  and Sedgley Park, and maybe Stourbridge, yet only one will succeed.

There will then be a lot of mismatched teams next season instead of (if a reorganisation is going to take place) promoting teams who, based on quality, should be at a higher level.

Regionalised Rugby is fine but not at the expense of diluting the product.

I expect that our league will come down to a one off game between Hull and ourselves in March, with the loser not even being given a shot at a play off game against a team in your league.

Rothman2 - I think a lot of people would like to see the play-off retained for this season. N2S has at least 5 teams in with a realistic shout of being in the top 2.

What happened to Rotherham was unfortunate - they might have overtaken Moseley they might not have - however given the circumstances a decision had to be made, all teams had to live with it.

I agree - there are likely to be a lot of mis-matches at level 4 next season, I would think each of the 3 regions will end up with a distinct two halves situation.

I also agree, a dilution of the product cannot be what people voted for - however I seem to recall that keeping the status quo wasn't one of the options voted upon so it was a fait a complais
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 21:08
I remember that people vociferously asked for less travel and fewer matches. 
How most of the people asking were at lower levels, and as I might have said before, I strongly suspect they will be disappointed. Meanwhile, the rest of use are left with this dog's dinner - and level 4 get the worst, though level 5 and 6 are also messed up.
Sweeney Delenda Est
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 22:13
I thought the RFU had already/is going to stop travel payments, hence the new division by location?
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 22:43
The RFU only pay travel money for journeys of more than 150 miles round trip and then only if you ask properly!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 26>
  Share Topic