National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Alternative Cup Formats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of the following Cup Formats do you favour?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
2 [8.00%]
3 [12.00%]
2 [8.00%]
18 [72.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternative Cup Formats
    Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 08:23
I'm sure there are other formats so if I have missed something obvious put it down to age.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 08:55
If not the PRO D2 then the Prem A
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Taffy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 09:25
The Powergen Challenge Cup/Shield competition for me
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 09:26
Ah, c'mon.
Just make it a 16 team league. No messing about.
Our City,
Our Club
Guinness John View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guinness John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 11:59
Totally agree with Kimbo.  If Blues are grouped with Ampthill we will have played them 6 times  (including friendlies) this season. That said from a financial point of view, no doubt both will be more than happy.
Bedford Blues Supporter of the Year 2010 - 2011
Cricks at 2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricks at 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 13:19
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Ah, c'mon.
Absolutely agree, home or away match every week, September to May.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 13:41
Originally posted by Cricks at 2 Cricks at 2 wrote:

Ah, c'mon.
My concern with 16 is it requires 5 more teams from Nat 1 or 6 if we lose Ealing or one of the other contenders. We could easily end up with cricket score miss-matches and a real drop in standards. The present cohort of 11 are fairly well matched - I accept Scottish are struggling but I expect them to come good in due course - I don't want to see easy wins being the norm and would rather see matches won or lost by a few points between teams in the Championship.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 14:13
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Originally posted by Cricks at 2 Cricks at 2 wrote:

Ah, c'mon.
My concern with 16 is it requires 5 more teams from Nat 1 or 6 if we lose Ealing or one of the other contenders. We could easily end up with cricket score miss-matches and a real drop in standards. The present cohort of 11 are fairly well matched - I accept Scottish are struggling but I expect them to come good in due course - I don't want to see easy wins being the norm and would rather see matches won or lost by a few points between teams in the Championship.

I think there are five teams in Nat 1 that could readily stand up to the test and seeing as the Championship is destined to be semi-professional (thanks RFU) this is not a bad call.
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 14:32
14 team leagues leaves gaps for recuperating or rearranging cancellations 
So many Christians not enough Lions
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 16:58
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

That would be my preference as a starter.
Tackle Low!!!!!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 17:19
If you play into May there are 38 weeks.
Nat 1 worked well with 16 teams and stopping at the end of April.

I doubt there would be many cricket scores - Ampthill and Richmond were not running them up in their last seasons in National 1, even against the sides that would be left out. It is not as though the promoted sides would not use whatever extra funding came with promotion to recruit.

I admit that an Ealing A side beat Rosslyn Park in the pre-Season, but I would think they might beat several of the Championship sides.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 17:29
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

30 matches per season isn't exactly cramming into 36 weekends is it? (35 even if you take out Christmas weekend, which I know a lot of folk would like to keep).
How many postponements do we get these days? Not that many, surely?
Supporters want real, competetive, meaningful, matches, against teams they haven't already seen two, three, four times already.
The argument re. diluting the RFU handout has largely gone away too, now.
Our City,
Our Club
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 18:07
I appear to have posted my thoughts (thinking stuff through while composing) at much the same time, and broadky in agreement.
Maybe I miscounted (was doing it roughly, in my head, so could well be) but 38 weeks makes the argument even stronger if that's the case (Further, I now note the Prem season finishes on the first weekend of June this year).
Our City,
Our Club
Westcoaster View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Westcoaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 19:00
14 team league and NO Cup competition would be my choice.

Come on Jersey........
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 19:26
Originally posted by Westcoaster Westcoaster wrote:

14 team league and NO Cup competition would be my choice.

All leagues below and above the championship will be 14 teams - why should the championship be any different.

This would mean the champions going into the Premiership and the top 4 N1 sides being promoted to the championship.

So simple even the RFU could organise it so what is the Championship sides problems.

I cannot see the problem - if the Championship sides think they are that much better than the top 4 in N1 then they should never be in the relegation zone.

Smacks of arrogance in my book, especially when you consider Doncaster, Coventry, Ampthill and Hartpury were in N1 not that long ago.

I suspect the top 4 N1 sides would be competitive, after all they are likely to strengthen their current sides.

Edited by Raider999 - 14 Oct 2021 at 19:30
RAID ON
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 20:44
A 14 team Championship league would be my choice too. Definitely no cup competition unless it was a straight knockout competition between the top 64 clubs from the Championship downwards, similar to football’s FA Cup. This would mean 26 league games and a possible 6 additional cup games for a few clubs.
Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 11:02
Raider I have no misconceptions about what the championship is - the teams in this league have no rights to demand anything other than what has been agreed. The Nat 1 teams are primarily all very strong and many would do well at this level.

16/14 teams makes no difference just getting a league that is suitable and sustainable. Don’t think that is too much to ask. 

Maybe you should look through impartial eyes occasionally rather than with whatever issue you have with this league. It is rugby and I believe we all want what is best for the game
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 12:41
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Maybe you should look through impartial eyes occasionally rather than with whatever issue you have with this league. It is rugby and I believe we all want what is best for the game
Good luck with that.
Our City,
Our Club
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 15:02
Whilst French teams might be above us in playing standards, I assume a gulf exists between Championship and Italy Top 10? 
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Whistle watcher View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whistle watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 17:49

Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Good luck with that.
LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic