National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Alternative Cup Formats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which of the following Cup Formats do you favour?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
2 [8.00%]
3 [12.00%]
2 [8.00%]
18 [72.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 18:52
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Raider I have no misconceptions about what the championship is - the teams in this league have no rights to demand anything other than what has been agreed. The Nat 1 teams are primarily all very strong and many would do well at this level.

16/14 teams makes no difference just getting a league that is suitable and sustainable. Don’t think that is too much to ask. 

Maybe you should look through impartial eyes occasionally rather than with whatever issue you have with this league. It is rugby and I believe we all want what is best for the game

I have no issue at all with the championship, apart from the fact it should have made a decision about next seasons format before this season started.

Teams in N1 and N2 are well into their season not knowing how many teams will be promoted at the end of the season.

Even the RFU are not that incompetent!
RAID ON
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 20:17
14 teams otherwise you create more leagues within the leagues with 16. There used to be 3 to 4 leagues within the league.  Currently it’s all pretty competitive.

I have said this many times before when we were 16, Blues would have youngsters from the academy mixed up with some 1st and 2nd choice and still win with 60 odd points. These games were not as well supported as everyone knew the result and it was a question of how many.

If we go to 14 it should be either 2 down or 1 down and play off for 13th v 2nd.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 08:42
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

14 teams otherwise you create more leagues within the leagues with 16. There used to be 3 to 4 leagues within the league.  Currently it’s all pretty competitive.

I have said this many times before when we were 16, Blues would have youngsters from the academy mixed up with some 1st and 2nd choice and still win with 60 odd points. These games were not as well supported as everyone knew the result and it was a question of how many.

If we go to 14 it should be either 2 down or 1 down and play off for 13th v 2nd.
I agree with this but we also need 2 up & 2 down automatic relegation & promotion to & from the premiership. Without the full overhaul we would probably end up with a handful of teams near the top of the pile like Cov, Pirates, Blues & Donny whose only meaningful games are when they play each other and a downward spiral of rugby standards. The competition between teams at present is brilliant - we want more close games like Pirates/Ealing and Donny/Jersey and fewer dead rubber matches.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 09:13
Going back to cup formats.
Our local BBC station covers five football teams from Prem League to League Two.

Last week international break allowed for commentary of Ampthill v Bedford, and the non league football as they call it, Boreham Wood.

Today Boreham Wood travel 5 miles to local rivals Barnet in the FA Cup. Knockout football.

Rugby League has Challenge Cup.

Yet the best team sport…looks second rate regards cup competitions in England. A knockout format is always my preference, upsets in rugby are rare. 

The only question, would a cup mean a 14 team Championship. 

I also have not worked out how to reduce 70 clubs, if we include National 1, and three National 2 leagues into a competition. But I have the weekend and some A4 paper…laughs.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 10:12
I like the idea of a cup competition including the Championship clubs and French D2 clubs but it is quite impractical - the travel/accommodation costs alone mean that it is a non starter.
Create a Championship league of 14 clubs and include promotion and relegation (1 or 2 up and down each season). Easy-peasy!
Member728 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Member728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 16:14
I like the idea of a cup competition including the Championship clubs and French D2 clubs but it is quite impractical - the travel/accommodation costs alone mean that it is a non starter.
not for Jersey Smile
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 20:58
Do like an idea of some form of British & Irish Cup format - just as it adds something difference to the usual domestic games we play.

I would support a ProD2 vs Champ competition as i would a Prem A vs Champ set-up - think it would benefit alot of clubs as i'd imagine gates for this would be at least on par with league attendances.

In the future i'd like to see a sort of RFU Cup competition throughout the levels like football

- RFU Cup (Levels 1 & 2) 
- RFU Trophy (Level 3 & 4)
- RFU Shield  (Level 5)
- RFU Bowl (Level 6)

Would probably add abit of excitment/financial benefit to the clubs partaking also.

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 21:23
The whole point of the current restructure was to decrease the number of games - and that meant the 14 team leagues did not have a cup. The lower level league, with 12 sides, do have cups - even though that means more games and travel than before - but let's not mention that.

Cups, unless only within one level, also mean mismatches.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 11:25
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Cups, unless only within one level, also mean mismatches. 

Yet that's what lots of people want - the opportunity to test themselves against teams from a higher level and a good day out, regardless of the outcome.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic