National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

USA launches bid to host RWC with NFL stadiums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USA launches bid to host RWC with NFL stadiums
    Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 00:38
USA launches bid to host Rugby World Cup with NFL stadiums

Quote The United States has announced its bid to host the men's Rugby World Cup in 2027 or 2031 and the women's tournament in 2029 with a host of NFL stadiums touted as possible venues.

Twenty-eight cities have shown interest in staging games, with Levi's Stadium in San Francisco and Miami's Hard Rock Stadium cited in the bid launch.

California's Rose Bowl, which seats more than 90,000, is also included.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 08:58
The 28: Atlanta; Austin, Texas; Baltimore; Birmingham, Ala.; Boston; Charlotte, N.C.; Chicago; Cincinnati; Dallas; Denver; Houston; Indianapolis; Kansas City, Mo.; Las Vegas; Los Angeles; Miami; Minneapolis; Nashville, Tenn.; New Orleans; New York/New Jersey; Orlando, Fla.; Philadelphia; Phoenix; Pittsburgh; San Diego; the San Francisco Bay Area; Seattle; Vancouver, B.C. and Washington, D.C.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 10:18
Let me guess. Coloured in-goal areas and cheerleaders mandatory? 

:)

Seriously though, I'd be all for it. If we want to grow the game, we have to take it to some of the smaller rugby playing countries.

Edited by Robb - 21 Oct 2021 at 10:21
Deva Delinquent View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 10:48
How Ireland haven't yet hosted a WC yet is beyond me.

Plenty of scope to hold some of the games in the UK if there aren't enough grounds up to standard, with the final at either the Aviva or Croke Park. 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 11:24
Ireland have co-hosted. Essentially any bid from the British Isles ends up co-hosting.
Argentina could presumably host - if it wanted to bear the costs. It has 12 40,000+ seater stadiums.

The worry about NFL stadiums is the NFL pitch is narrow, but they generally have a lot of grass either side for the excess players. The seats at Soldier field are apparently the closest to the NLF side lines - and even that does leave just enough space for a rugby pitch, but it might not be the full 70m.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Donnyknightfan View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyknightfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 12:48
We shouldn’t be going anywhere near the USA for the RWC, seriously. If you want a lot of empty stadiums by all means go ahead. Me personally I couldn’t think of anything worse. We should stick to traditional host countries, if you want to send it somewhere else send it to Ireland or Argentina, at least those countries actually love the game. Sending it to America would be a horrible marketing gimmick, no thanks.
Donny Knights - best team in Yorkshire
Deva Delinquent View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 13:11
Originally posted by Donnyknightfan Donnyknightfan wrote:

We shouldn’t be going anywhere near the USA for the RWC, seriously. If you want a lot of empty stadiums by all means go ahead. Me personally I couldn’t think of anything worse. We should stick to traditional host countries, if you want to send it somewhere else send it to Ireland or Argentina, at least those countries actually love the game. Sending it to America would be a horrible marketing gimmick, no thanks.

My sentiments exactly. 

I'd want to see Ireland and Argentina have it forst before we start looking to emerging nations - even Italy should have it sooner than the USA, IMO. 

Seem to remember when Ireland were going for it last, they didn't get the votes from WRU or SRU, but did from the RFU. So much for all celts together Wink
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 17:44
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Ireland have co-hosted. Essentially any bid from the British Isles ends up co-hosting.
Argentina could presumably host - if it wanted to bear the costs. It has 12 40,000+ seater stadiums.

The worry about NFL stadiums is the NFL pitch is narrow, but they generally have a lot of grass either side for the excess players. The seats at Soldier field are apparently the closest to the NLF side lines - and even that does leave just enough space for a rugby pitch, but it might not be the full 70m.

Any stadium without the minimum sized pitch and the minimum distance from touch line to stands shouldn't be allowed to be used - seem to remember Welford Road was excluded from 2015 World Cup for exactly that reason.
RAID ON
RedPete View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 20:16

The 28: Atlanta; Austin, Texas; Baltimore; Birmingham, Ala.; Boston; Charlotte, N.C.; Chicago; Cincinnati; Dallas; Denver; Houston; Indianapolis; Kansas City, Mo.; Las Vegas; Los Angeles; Miami; Minneapolis; Nashville, Tenn.; New Orleans; New York/New Jersey; Orlando, Fla.; Philadelphia; Phoenix; Pittsburgh; San Diego; the San Francisco Bay Area; Seattle; Vancouver, B.C. and Washington, D.C.

No Tottenham then Wink
Compassion for the conned, contempt for the conmen.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 21:17
I think you will find all the Premierships clubs that share with Soccer are undersized.
And very few have the full 5m round the pitch.

Leicester was substantially short - I seem to remember it was only 90 metres.

I believe Soldier Field is 86 yards wide from seats to seats, so 78 metres. 
World Rugby minimum is 65 metres.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Oldman1 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 09:56
My choice would be Ireland, a six week party for all!!
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 10:20
Originally posted by Oldman1 Oldman1 wrote:

The main problem for Ireland is the lack of stadium capacity - only two with a capacity exceeding 50,000 (Croke Park & Lansdowne Road), three GAA grounds with a capacity exceeding 40,000 but less than half of which is seated, and the remaining grounds are mainly standing terraces.

I believe the GAA would want to extract as much money as possible from IRFU/World Rugby for hosting any matches.  And I'm not sure places like Thurles would have the facilities to host 40,000+ rugby fans.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 21:31
Do the hosts get automatic qualification? If so, then that might be the only way that the USA can qualify.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 22:16
Originally posted by Steve@Mose Steve@Mose wrote:

Originally posted by Oldman1 Oldman1 wrote:

The main problem for Ireland is the lack of stadium capacity - only two with a capacity exceeding 50,000 (Croke Park & Lansdowne Road), three GAA grounds with a capacity exceeding 40,000 but less than half of which is seated, and the remaining grounds are mainly standing terraces.

I believe the GAA would want to extract as much money as possible from IRFU/World Rugby for hosting any matches.  And I'm not sure places like Thurles would have the facilities to host 40,000+ rugby fans.

Also, will the GAA vote to allow rugby to take over their grounds again? 
French Connection View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote French Connection Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 10:25
Another major drawback with holding an event like this in the USA is the desperate lack of transport infrastructure in the country. There are no high speed train links so it's flying or driving for hours and hours. Very environmentally damaging if you're concerned about that. Also, many of the cities are huge, sprawling places and there are next to no buses, local trains or trams. Again, it'll be cars or taxis only...and it'll cost a fortune. The USA is not really a fan friendly place for events in which you have to travel around. If it goes there the car hire firms will be rubbing their hands and I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them are supporting the bid.  
dwinpenn View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwinpenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 10:42
This could be very good; remember 1994 when the US hosted the soccer World Cup?   US Football was not competitive. But they had one of the best attended world cups so transport cant be that much of an issue. 

The US are running the 2026 World Cup so FIFA have the confidence why shouldn't RWC?  
Then just wait a couple of decades and see what the difference is.....
Dave Winpenny
"Confused and old"
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 14:18
Why not?

Shame no Utah stadiums, considering MLR franchise based there.

BYU Cougars have a 60.000 + stadium for College Football.

Edited by kempstonblue - 23 Oct 2021 at 14:23
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 17:32
RFU looking to bid for Women's 2025 RWC and Men's 2031 RWC.

Quote England's Rugby Football Union hopes to bid to host the 2025 World Cup.

The 2014 winners' main rivals for the rights to host are likely to be France, with a decision expected in May 2022.

The RFU's plan involves staging the "best-attended women's Rugby World Cup ever" and the governing body aims to sell out Twickenham for the final after nationwide pool games.

In September, the RFU also confirmed its desire to bid for the 2031 edition of the men's tournament.

The organisation added that its 2025 bid would be submitted to World Rugby in January "subject to securing sufficient private and public-sector funding".
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 19:02
Wasn’t RWC 2015 England’s last one for a generation?
Okay I would love it, being 63 then. But is 2031 too soon? Does seem a pattern Europe hosting every other. Would like 2031 in Italy, over due. A joint Ireland/Scotland?

If Italy maybe a joint bid with Romania? At least one Pool, two knockout matches?

2023 France
2027 USA
2031 Italy
2035 South Africa or Australia 
2039 England
2043 Argentina/Uruguay ( hopefully still around for that one)

Looking forward to new beginnings.
Buck View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 19:19

Vancouver? Has the US/Canada border moved north? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic