National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Cov vs Rams

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cov vs Rams
    Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 19:02
Friendly arranged for 13/11/21 at the Butts Park Arena
Our City,
Our Club
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 21:02
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Really do not understand this?

For 2 years D of R’s have been asking for a reduction of teams to 14  and 26 games max because 16 and 30 games are too many 

Rams have done well in this league and this is their second season where they are towards to top 
Rams are a semi pro club Cov one of the full timers in the champ 

So the one weekend Rams have off before Xmas,and you ask any player Nat 1 pre xmas is a grind, instead of feet up and weekend off, they are taking on a full time Champ side, to prove what? 

I really do not see what can be gained 
But I can see a possible load of injuries and the promotion charge being derailed by playing it a week before they have Cindy!! Or if the rest several 1st xv players get a bashing and that also won't do anybody any good. Very very strange decision this one.

I wonder if they have really thought out what they will get out of the game …could end up playing Cindy with half a side

Edited by Scrumtime - 29 Oct 2021 at 07:30
Jester10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jester10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 09:58
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Really do not understand this?

For 2 years D of R’s have been asking for a reduction of teams to 14  and 26 games max because 16 and 30 games are too many 

Rams have done well in this league and this is their second season where they are towards to top 
Rams are a semi pro club Cov one of the full timers in the champ 

So the one weekend Rams have off before Xmas,and you ask any player Nat 1 pre xmas is a grind, instead of feet up and weekend off, they are taking on a full time Champ side, to prove what? 

I really do not see what can be gained 
But I can see a possible load of injuries and the promotion charge being derailed by playing it a week before they have Cindy!! Or if the rest several 1st xv players get a bashing and that also won't do anybody any good. Very very strange decision this one.

I wonder if they have really thought out what they will get out of the game …could end up playing Cindy with half a side

Rams have the next two weekends off as they were due to play OEs. 
Enjoying life!
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 17:57
It won't be anything like a full Cov first team.
They are currently running a high proportion of Academy boys  (and borrowed youngsters) anyway due to injuries to first teamers.
Our City,
Our Club
Fake_Shemp View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fake_Shemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 12:40
I think the game is utterly pointless except, with spectators paying £10 to watch the game, it looks like a good moneyspinner for Coventry.

Will Rams have any financial benefit from the game, perhaps a small share of the gate money?
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 20:09
Originally posted by Fake_Shemp Fake_Shemp wrote:

I think the game is utterly pointless except, with spectators paying £10 to watch the game, it looks like a good moneyspinner for Coventry.

Will Rams have any financial benefit from the game, perhaps a small share of the gate money?

Rams might take a different view after yesterday loss …fight the battles you need to be involved in 
Jester10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jester10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 08:51
Fixture postponed. 

Enjoying life!
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 09:00
As said, fight battles you need to be involved in. Rams had nothing what so ever to gain out of this, especially after the last couple of results.  Somebody thought about it and put sensible head on, well done Mr Reynolds
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 09:10

As said, fight battles you need to be involved in. Rams had nothing what so ever to gain out of this, especially after the last couple of results.  Somebody thought about it and put sensible head on, well done Mr Reynolds

depends who you believe - there's been at least some suggestion that it's Covid protocols again, and the RFU making it clear that Championship sides can't play lower sides because the testing regime's different.

In which case a better question to ask would be - when did this change/did this change to allow it in the first place, and when did it change back? Also on the Cov message board someone's suggesting lack of players available.
keep the faith
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 09:51
Billy 

As Richmond/Ampthill/Jersey each interchange some players between squads, 1s and 2s. With them playing in the Champ one week or in the 2s at Zoo 1 level the next, I really don't think this applies anymore. 

You add in the fact that most clubs have loan players that spend all week at Prem clubs only to train on a Thursday night with their loan club and share same changing room as players on Saturdays, to return to said Prem club Monday morning. 

Just as an example look at Taunton, who are not alone, but they have loans from Exeter and Bristol, so we have  the Exeter and Bristol bubbles in the same room mixing as well as the semi pro Taunton players (no slight on Taunton just using an example) and all on the same coach back from away games±

Think these rules went out the window some months ago, when we started to open up.

That aside, If Rams want to be at the top end of Nat 1 a pointless  game against a full time side was the last thing they needed, so Id say Rams have the best result possible, in my humble view!

Edited by Scrumtime - 09 Nov 2021 at 09:52
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 10:06

Billy 

As Richmond/Ampthill/Jersey each interchange some players between squads, 1s and 2s. With them playing in the Champ one week or in the 2s at Zoo 1 level the next, I really don't think this applies anymore. 

----

Think these rules went out the window some months ago, when we started to open up.

I think the suggestion is that, as of this week, they apply again... I.e. the rules have changed back. Which if true will knock on to all the clubs you mention.
keep the faith
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 10:14
If true it will affect every club in National 1 and a good few in National 2 as well

Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 16:01

If true it will affect every club in National 1 and a good few in National 2 as well

Most N2S teams have DR players from Premiership teams - however as there is no A league the only games these players are likely to get are with the N2S teams.

At least there is sport below the top levels in this country - I understand that a couple of N Zealand's provincial cricket teams are yet to play this season.
RAID ON
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 16:32
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Most N2S teams have DR players from Premiership teams - however as there is no A league the only games these players are likely to get are with the N2S teams.

At least there is sport below the top levels in this country - I understand that a couple of N Zealand's provincial cricket teams are yet to play this season.

There is an "A" League of sorts, a few club have had at least 1 "A" fixture this season. 
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 16:35
From reading the statement, and knowing some within the set/up - i would gather it's purely down to injuries. Cov were already quite early on, having to bring in a number of loan players due to injuries and as we get closer to the hectic time of December to Febuary, I would hazered a guess they'd taken on more.

marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 16:54
There is no A league this season. Some clubs arranged friendlies a few weeks ago to give some of their players game time they had not had through d/r or loans. Now the internationals, Prem Cup and U20 competitions are on the horizon I cannot see any more of these happening
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 17:19
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

There is no A league this season. Some clubs arranged friendlies a few weeks ago to give some of their players game time they had not had through d/r or loans. Now the internationals, Prem Cup and U20 competitions are on the horizon I cannot see any more of these happening

Do you mean players that hadn't had game-time at all, or players that hadn't had game-time with their parent clubs?

The Quins A line-up consisted of players who've either been involved with their Prem 23, or lads who have been playing at Champ/Nat1/Nat2

marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 07:12
Each of the clubs involved had a number of senior players who are not d/r or loaned but had either through non selection in Prem matches or injury experienced hardly any game time eg for Quins Ross Chisholm. Each Prem team appears to have a 24th,25th and sometimes 26th man in each match day squad to cover for on the day injury/sickness but if that doe snot occur watch the match once the warm up is complete. 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 12:42
I spoke to Rowland at the Cambridge game. He said, yes it seemed a good idea five weeks ago, two weeks ago, after the injuries, it started looking too much of a risk.
Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic