National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

RFU Survey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 12:10
At least the new level 4 will be run by the NCA/NLR.
As far as I am aware, there is no indication who will run the new level 5.
It cannot be the current DOCs as they will cross division boundaries.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 12:22
Can't see anyone voting for 10 clubs in the Championship with a meaningless, potentially everlasting  Cup competition where you will be playing the same teams you do in the league running alongside. Just expand the league - not rocket science is it? Everyone else seems perfectly happy with 14 team Leagues (and we are told that's what DoR's, players etc etc voted for) so why not also the Championship? Billesley Exile I think you can sleep easily as I can't see any of the possible scenarios resulting in relegations from Nat1. If we do go 14 across the board then rather ironically we will need 14 promotions from Level 5 (Top 3 in every league plus 2 best 4th finishers) This calculation takes in the demise of OE's and possible departure of LS
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 16:57
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Can't see anyone voting for 10 clubs in the Championship with a meaningless, yadder yadfer yadder...

What makes you think anyone will get a vote on anything to do with this? The fact that the box-ticking exercise labelled a 'survey' included no questions about the format of the season or competitions should have been enough of a clue.

Edited by OldNick - 15 Nov 2021 at 19:58
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 17:05
OK but if there ain't going to be a vote how on earth will anything be decided. Failure to agree a format is hugely disrespectful to the rest of the clubs below them and I find it disgraceful
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 17:05
Presumably, the current eleven clubs in FDR have a vote.
Though Ealing and London Scottish might abstain for different reasons.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 21:35
I was told at a recent NCA meeting there were lots of different ideas on the table concerning the Champ set up and every club had a different thought so it appears the Champ still are miles away from any decision regardless on how it affects everyone else very selfish of them or is it scared of the new clubs coming through that are structured without central funding
So many Christians not enough Lions
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 07:17
Or you are making assumptions based on the tiny amount of information you have to hand and coming up with what?......
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:10
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Or you are making assumptions based on the tiny amount of information you have to hand and coming up with what?......
This.
Our City,
Our Club
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:33
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Making no assumptions - presumably there's no plan, in which case please can they get on with making one, or there is a plan, in which case please can they share it, or there are several contending plans, which they need to decide between, in which case please can they get on with making the f ing decision?

At the moment especially at levels 3 and 4 every club is existing in a state of Schrodinger's League Pyramid.

Unless, secret option D, all the clubs at levels 2-5 do in fact know what's going on and this is the first plan in the history of the RFU that no one at any of those levels, at all, has leaked...

Edited by billesleyexile - 16 Nov 2021 at 10:35
keep the faith
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:24
Spot on Billesley Exile! The Championship clubs have already been told they are no longer considered "Elite" by the RFU so can they please accept this and stop living in crowd cuckoo land. Some of these clubs attendances are surpassed by others at Levels 3,4 and 5. Yes they feel let down by the RFU but we live in difficult times and it is what it is. By all means pursue your own revenue opportunities (neglected in the past due to over generous central funding?) but don't leave the rest of us in limbo whilst doing it. I repeat.....
1) How many clubs do you want in your League? 
2) Do you want a cup comp running alongside?
Just decide please then the rest of us can get on with running our clubs accordingly
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:41
And still no evidence provided - yes I agree they need to pull their fingers out, the whole pyramid is impacted by this delay but I put it to you that none of us know all the reasons for this delay so we make some assumptions. As you can clearly see my assumption is that there are some inhibitors which are contributing to the delay other than the 11 clubs coming to an agreement.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Whistle watcher View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whistle watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:41
1) How many clubs do you want in your League?   14
2) Do you want a cup comp running alongside?   No.

Does that help?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:42
I believe there are multiple answers to those two questions, otherwise they would have given us the answer.

Sweeney Delenda Est
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:49
It’s very easy to say that the obvious solution for the Championship is 14 clubs, not least for those supporters who season after season see their club play other clubs 4 times.
However if the amount of central funding on offer is the same for 14 clubs as it is for 11 (I must stress “if” as I have no inside knowledge ), that is no small issue.
In addition, do the Championship clubs know what the Nat 1 front runners think about the prospect of competing in the Championship week after week? Have any of these conversations take place 
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 12:12
So we go all the way down the pyramid asking clubs how they would feel about going up a level? That's ludicrous in my opinion - could be as many as 100 clubs involved and what happens even if 1 club says no we don't really fancy it? This is just playing at being "Elite" again. There are clubs far more financially sustainable in Nat1 and 2 without having to rely on central funding. Forget Central funding for the Championship - that boat has sailed
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 12:38
I do not know about frontrunners, but Cambridge are certainly looking to doing that as soon as they can. The coaches and players want to test themselves at the highest level they can reach, it is up to the club to give them the platform. The only sides I cannot remember Cambridge playing competitively are Bedford, Pirates and Nottingham - the other eight we played on their way up. We regularly beat Ampthill. It has been a while since we beat Coventry or Ealing. London Scottish I think we only beat in the cup, the others we might have got a bonus point. 

Rosslyn Park have been a big club for a long time, Cinderford are the hard men of the forest, and nobody goes there lightly, Sale FC cannot be promoted from the Championship due to their links with Sharks, so they will know what it is about. Rams are the new boys, but they made it plain they will ride this wave of success to wherever it takes them. Caldy will sit in their wooden hut and play the 'we are a little  local club' card - and surprise everyone. Chinnor will make you work against that wind in the second half.

I doubt any of the Championship clubs will regard visiting any of those grounds as an easy trip.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 12:49
Well said Camquin - some clubs are ambitious, others less so - every club should aspire to be the best it can be - finances allowing - otherwise what's the point? 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 13:16
And of course, when I say somewhere is tough to visit, I only mean from whistle to whistle.
It has nothing to do with the welcome off the pitch.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 15:46
I’m told there is an embargo on information from the Review Panel. Nothing will be announced until the Championship Fat Lady has sung in January. I don’t think Edward Griffiths sticking his coat in last year helped at all. Sadly I suspect it will be the 11 owners who make the decision with limited consultation within their Clubs. It would be great to get everything settled, until the shape is known for next season nobody can start selling sponsorship or TV rights.
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 16:30
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

So we go all the way down the pyramid asking clubs how they would feel about going up a level? That's ludicrous in my opinion - could be as many as 100 clubs involved and what happens even if 1 club says no we don't really fancy it? This is just playing at being "Elite" again. There are clubs far more financially sustainable in Nat1 and 2 without having to rely on central funding. Forget Central funding for the Championship - that boat has sailed

It’s a bit much pointing the finger at the Championship clubs. Let’s assume that the general preference is for 14 clubs and no Cup.
We still don’t know whether the winner of the Championship will be welcomed into the tender bosom of the Premiership and we also have the intended move by London Scottish. Presumably the latter have been given a deadline to sort themselves out.
Depending on the above 2 factors, we don’t know whether the implications for Nat 1 would be 3, 4 or 5 coming up.
If the Nat 1 clubs have clear plans and strategies for the future, then great. There are posters here with much more knowledge of these clubs than me.
Obviously there is even more uncertainty for the clubs in Nat 2, but to be fair there is always some lack of clarity until the end of the season when the relegation and promotion issues are sorted out and the implications for level transfers become clear.
I can remember when the current Nat 2 North leaders were Redruth’s closest away fixture in 2 South.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic