National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Scottish Off

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 21:48
That was why I used the Harald link.
From the bit you can see of the TRP story without paying, it came from the same press release.

I will say that last week Andretti racing were buying into Sauber/Alpha Romeo - but this week the deal is off.
Sweeney Delenda Est
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 22:34
Was emailed to supporters friday night.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 23:33
So how many LS players are Scottish qualified?
Sweeney Delenda Est
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 09:51
Presumably that’ll be a discussion point between the club and SRFU.
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 13:25
No, Lord Kitchener,  they pulled out of that over a year ago, leaving a sour taste!

I'm intrigued that the TRP piece states their concern about playing possibly at Level 4/5. Two relegations expected?

Edited by Halliford - 08 Nov 2021 at 13:26
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 15:01
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

No, Lord Kitchener,  they pulled out of that over a year ago, leaving a sour taste!

I'm intrigued that the TRP piece states their concern about playing possibly at Level 4/5. Two relegations expected?

That was taken from the LS statement
"Based on our current budget forecast and following the RFU review of the Championship, London Scottish would probably return to the National Leagues and our current revenue model will not support a first XV playing at a level higher than Level 4 or 5."  
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 15:45
It does not say will drop at the end of this season.
Just that they face relegation soon and without central funding would not compete at level 3.

I do not know how much it costs to run the RAG, or how that is split between the two clubs.
Gates seem to be dropping at both LS and Richmond - and if costs are high that could be an issue.
Losing two sets of central funding will have hurt.

London Scottish have a better 'ole - the rest of us just need to wait until the bombardment stops

https://www.christies.com/lotfinderimages/d50277/d5027727r.jpg
Sweeney Delenda Est
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 18:32
Not sure what 'ole they are aiming for? I may be wrong but if they join the Super 8 they will only have 7 meaningful home league matches in the whole season. They will have 7 away fixtures but who will they play on the remaining 14-16 Saturdays in the season? Their amateurs are at Level 9 -a long way from level 4 or 5 and certainly not the level to prepare to play Super 8 matches-all seems very strange.....
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 21:19
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

Not sure what 'ole they are aiming for? I may be wrong but if they join the Super 8 they will only have 7 meaningful home league matches in the whole season. They will have 7 away fixtures but who will they play on the remaining 14-16 Saturdays in the season? Their amateurs are at Level 9 -a long way from level 4 or 5 and certainly not the level to prepare to play Super 8 matches-all seems very strange.....

They are looking to hold games versus the likes of Oxford,Cambridge, Army etc
I'd guess looking at a season of 20 games or so a year.
Isn't the calendar set-up of the Super 6 a little different also? - maybe that is an USP for some players?
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 22:42
With the Varsity Match now in April and the inter services competition in April/May I believe Oxford, Cambridge and the Services only play serious matches from January onwards. Someone in Scotland would know but don't the players in the Scottish based Super 6/8 teams play for their clubs in the SRU leagues during the rest of the season? Is any club financially viable on only 20 matches per season? 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 00:09
As far as I can see the Scottish clubs are running completely separate Super 6 and National 1 sides - the fixtures overlapped.
Sweeney Delenda Est
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 07:00
CQ thx. I wonder where those Super 6 players play for the rest of the season? I would imagine they have more than a 14-16 (with pre season matches) matches from Sept to the end of April. Or is the current renaissance of Scottish rugby down to them being the first home union to have a sensible number of matches per season?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 10:31
Except, the Scotland team is drawn from the two fully professional sides.

I have done some more digging.

It appears that the clubs hosting Super 6 sides are now represented in the league by their former amateur 2nd XVs. There is no movement between the Super 6 and amateur squads.

However, while the Super 6 teams were originally the nominal club's 1st XV - which had been in the Premiership. But now draw on players from nearby Premiership clubs and some players form the franchises. So, for example,  the Ayr team in the final had 3 Hawks players.

But I do not know if all the Super 6 players have found places in Premiership sides. Or how the relationship between Ayr and Hawks would change by introducing a Glasgow side into Super 8 - or more importantly, which clubs LS would draw on.

Sweeney Delenda Est
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 10:46
Originally posted by dropout22 dropout22 wrote:

Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

They are looking to hold games versus the likes of Oxford,Cambridge, Army etc
I'd guess looking at a season of 20 games or so a year.
Isn't the calendar set-up of the Super 6 a little different also? - maybe that is an USP for some players?

This whole thing is bizarre - as someone who has watched a lot of services Rugby, and also been a regular on the terraces at Iffley Road watching Oxford (like every week regular), I don't know what they've been smoking.

Services rugby ramps up in January, the full Blues side at Christmas, but in general I'd expect a National 1 side to beat either Oxford or the Army outside the very peak of their training process - so Oxford the week before it plays Cambridge in December, and the Army at the May bank holiday.

The rest of the year they're about lower end national 2 standard - if that.

So they can't afford to compete at a level higher than 4-5 in the English system, so as a way round that they're going to play Super 6 for 7 home matches then 15 glorified friendlies at a level about what they say they can afford but clearly think they're too good for - so disguise it by playing rep sides who realistically are about the same standard as the league they'd be in if they were being honest??

Madness, and worse actually, there's a horrible stench of entitlement. Just find your level. If you were going to be able to compete at a higher level by withdrawing then I still wouldn't agree but it at least makes sense. 

This, on the other hand, is *disguising* your level. Who do they think they're lying to - the players, the fans, sponsors? 
keep the faith
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 11:24
My prediction: won’t happen 
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 22:02
I would agree!
Run with it
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 07:47
The only thing Super 6 shows, and I believe Wales as well, is that the Championship (and if it helped do a deal National 1 and 2) needs a FTA broadcaster, either through a traditional channel or something like the BBC Red Button service.

The other week BBC3CR mentioned a online stream of a Bedford game. Initially I tuned to BBC Sounds, and found an English Local Radio EFL goals service.
The Rugby was via the BBC Sports App. Interesting on Sports App, often commentary of Cornish Pirates,Jersey, Coventry yet 3CR fail to guide listeners to the otter stations if Ampthill or Bedford are away. Maybe joined up thinking between at the BBC, those clubs that don’t get commentary on local station, go into a pool, and a match of the round is promoted on the BBC App? More so next year if we get a 14 team league.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 09:23
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

The only thing Super 6 shows, and I believe Wales as well, is that the Championship (and if it helped do a deal National 1 and 2) needs a FTA broadcaster, either through a traditional channel or something like the BBC Red Button service.

The other week BBC3CR mentioned a online stream of a Bedford game. Initially I tuned to BBC Sounds, and found an English Local Radio EFL goals service.
The Rugby was via the BBC Sports App. Interesting on Sports App, often commentary of Cornish Pirates,Jersey, Coventry yet 3CR fail to guide listeners to the otter stations if Ampthill or Bedford are away. Maybe joined up thinking between at the BBC, those clubs that don’t get commentary on local station, go into a pool, and a match of the round is promoted on the BBC App? More so next year if we get a 14 team league.

I don't think the will's there at the BBC. Interestingly there are two other models out there, the RFL's OurLeague app, which is a clearing house for pretty much the whole of what's on where in English RL (and their own coverage where no one else is doing it), and the new (this season) weekly highlights programme covering N1 and N2N/S.

The former requires signing up to the app, and the latter is a subscription model - so neither are the 'getting it out to the masses' approach you're talking about, but both is more coverage than the Championship is getting. 

Someone at the Championship needs to think about that - levels 3 and 4 have got a (pretty good) weekly highlights and commentary/discussion show now....
keep the faith
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 08:40
Couldn't BBC Alba pick it up like S4C do/did for the Welsh regions?
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 16:05
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Couldn't BBC Alba pick it up like S4C do/did for the Welsh regions?

I thought BBC Alba was a Scottish channel?

If so why would it be interested in covering the Championship?
RAID ON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic