National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Scottish Off

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 16:16
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Couldn't BBC Alba pick it up like S4C do/did for the Welsh regions?

I thought BBC Alba was a Scottish channel?

If so why would it be interested in covering the Championship?

Especially a Championship without Scottish...
keep the faith
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 07:01
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Couldn't BBC Alba pick it up like S4C do/did for the Welsh regions?

I thought BBC Alba was a Scottish channel?

If so why would it be interested in covering the Championship?

BBC Scotland already broadcast Super 6.
S4C Welsh clubs.

This is my point. I would suggest the RFU Championship is a better competition than the Super 6, or Welsh Premiership (if that is still its name), so whilst the Pro16 and English Premiership as top tier get broadcasts, England’s second tier is either that badly run or due to 90 English soccer clubs too much hassle for media to bother with. Admittedly looking at numbers through gates, I wonder if even football’s National League is a more attractive proposition which is why BT Sport show it.

Edited by kempstonblue - 13 Nov 2021 at 07:02
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 09:34
BBC Scotland do broadcast live games from the Championship but unfortunately it’s the Scottish football variety 
But in saying this it just shows how little interest or drive their is to promote the game outside internationals or premiership
So many Christians not enough Lions
French Connection View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote French Connection Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 10:09
The game in England just isn't very popular at all among the general public. The vast majority have no experience at all of rugby and don't even know the basics of the laws or strategies. It's possibly at it's lowest point ever in my opinion. The reasons for this are many, but among them is the decline of traditional sports in state schools. I was a PE teacher for 34 years and in all the schools I worked in  rugby was part of the curriculum and all boys took at least one 7 or 8 week block every year. We knew very well that not many would actually go and play, but (and we used to tell them) they were equipped with a basic knowledge and appreciation of the game and could get some pleasure out of being spectators. We did the same for hockey, basketball,etc. Very old fashioned and traditional but in my view better than the individual leisure type activities pursued in many schools now.
Making top level rugby inaccessible on the TV for the majority (apart from the 6 Nations but even that for how much longer) was also a disaster and was always going to lead to more money for the top end and reduced interest for everyone else.
Any thoughts of the Championship - excellent though it is - being televised are simply a non starter. Level 5 or 6 soccer would be more popular to a TV audience. Sad but inescapable I feel. 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 10:18
Super 6 is on the BBC website. For example: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/l003bd28

You cannot blame the broadcasters, the fault lies with 100 years of RFU led neglect, the insistence on amateurism and no competition and rugby for the players.

The FA was equally snooty, but the Northern clubs had the upper hand and organized the league in spite of their equivalent of 57 old farts. So they built gates, the football pools also attracted interest.

TV has a limit of time and only shows sport that attracts a crowd and ideally has a story, like the FA Cup. You note it does not show club hockey, netball or athletics - it is not just rugby looking for exposure. Eurosport has shown the top-level European hockey, which generally has two English sides.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 12:10
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Super 6 is on the BBC website. For example: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/l003bd28

You cannot blame the broadcasters, the fault lies with 100 years of RFU led neglect, the insistence on amateurism and no competition and rugby for the players.

The FA was equally snooty, but the Northern clubs had the upper
hand and organized the league in spite of their equivalent of 57 old
farts. So they built gates, the football pools also attracted interest.

TV has a limit of time and only shows sport that attracts a crowd and ideally has a story, like the FA Cup. You note it does not show club hockey, netball or athletics - it is not just rugby looking for exposure. Eurosport has shown the top-level European hockey, which generally has two English sides.

Incorrect, Sky Sports broadcast coverage of Netball.

However, that apart, I agree with what you are saying.

I think the best thing for the Championship to do is either offer coverage of 1 game a week as a freebie to terrestrial TV in an attempt to build interest. Doing this would show how much interest there is via the viewing figures, enabling them to negotiate a fee for the future.

Another option would be to go down subscription based streaming.
RAID ON
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 15:58
Originally posted by French Connection French Connection wrote:

The game in England just isn't very popular at all among the general public. The vast majority have no experience at all of rugby and don't even know the basics of the laws or strategies. It's possibly at it's lowest point ever in my opinion. The reasons for this are many, but among them is the decline of traditional sports in state schools. I was a PE teacher for 34 years and in all the schools I worked in  rugby was part of the curriculum and all boys took at least one 7 or 8 week block every year. We knew very well that not many would actually go and play, but (and we used to tell them) they were equipped with a basic knowledge and appreciation of the game and could get some pleasure out of being spectators. We did the same for hockey, basketball,etc. Very old fashioned and traditional but in my view better than the individual leisure type activities pursued in many schools now.
Making top level rugby inaccessible on the TV for the majority (apart from the 6 Nations but even that for how much longer) was also a disaster and was always going to lead to more money for the top end and reduced interest for everyone else.
Any thoughts of the Championship - excellent though it is - being televised are simply a non starter. Level 5 or 6 soccer would be more popular to a TV audience. Sad but inescapable I feel. 

Totally agree with this. The drop in sport being played at schools in general is scandalous. I do not want to get political, but this stems back to a time (not that long ago) when the Gov decided that having meaningful competition was not required and the 'taking part' was all that mattered. Very nice, pink and fluffy, but it did mean that those who had any sporting ability went to their local club to play 'meaningful' football, rugby netball etc. Those who had not yet developed their abilities went and played PlayStation (other gaming consoles were also played).
Effectively, we lost the edge to playing sport for about 10 or 15 years. The real reason behind this is that the Gov. did not want to pay the overtime for teachers to run after school activities (well that's my theory anyway).
And here we are. Kids are moving away from playing sport and only get involved to watch elite sport on telly. The standard of grass roots sport is dropping and the RFU are doing as little as possible to reverse this trend.
Personally, I find this very sad.
Tackle Low!!!!!
Rothman2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 17:17
I think that the decision to take England games off both Sky and particularly terrestrial TV is shocking. All about milking as much as possible at the top end and to hell with the rest.

Charge extortionate prices to go and watch them. Even Premiership club Rugby is no longer on terrestrial.

There’s enough alternative things to do out there even if it was accessible so being on terrestrial is critical to keep it in the public eye. 

Take a leaf out of England football team and make it accessible to the masses. 

About time the people who run the Championship clubs made some decision. Frankly there should be at least 14 clubs at that level to make a viable season. 

Edited by Rothman2 - 15 Nov 2021 at 17:29
As one door closes…….another one slams in your face.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 17:20
I was actually having this discussion in the bar on Saturday.

The key purpose of the RFU is to maximize the rugby playing numbers - and while there has been a welcome rise in the number of women and girls playing, the drop in the number of boys and men is worrying.

Therefore, the key job in this day and age is to ensure young children get some form of introduction to rugby. Which means providing development officers who can go into schools. However, every time they need to cut funding, these are the roles that go.

But what the RFU look at bodies on seats, which means they only really care about Internationals and Premiership games.

Sweeney Delenda Est
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 18:32
I was not a Sky Sports subscriber.
Prime has made it more accessible, and our Facebook community at work was very engaged, more so than when it was on Sky
Looking forward to new beginnings.
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 18:51
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

Prime has made it more accessible, and our Facebook community at work was very engaged, more so than when it was on Sky

I can believe that.

Having been cautious, I actually think Prime is the future (well, and equivalent services) - 15m people in the UK have Prime Membership. I've never had Sky, and until Amazon got them, also never watched the Autumn Internationals unless I was at Twickenham either.
keep the faith
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 18:59
Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

I can believe that.

Having been cautious, I actually think Prime is the future (well, and equivalent services) - 15m people in the UK have Prime Membership. I've never had Sky, and until Amazon got them, also never watched the Autumn Internationals unless I was at Twickenham either.

I have Sky and BT Sports so having to fork out extra for Prime to be able to watch the Autumn Internationals is yet more expense.

Unfortunately this is the result of opening out sports rights so no one broadcaster can have all the rights to a particular sport.

Until all matches are available on multiple platforms, then the customer can choose his platform, you cannot have true competition.

Edited by Raider999 - 15 Nov 2021 at 19:01
RAID ON
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 21:29
I have cancelled sky sports now as there is very little I would watch on it now. Had prime for ages but this is the first time I have used it for sports and thought the coverage has been great and easy to catch up. I am actually thinking about removing Sky totally and just keeping Netflix, Prime and Disney as this is all that is ever on the TV with the kids
So many Christians not enough Lions
Taffy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:58
S4C broadcasts live matches from the United Rugby Championship (4 regional Welsh, Irish, Scottish, Italian and SA teams) with Welsh or English commentary. The Welsh Premiership (level 2) are usually broadcast on BBC Wales Scrum V
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 15:27
Originally posted by Rothman2 Rothman2 wrote:

I think that the decision to take England games off both Sky and particularly terrestrial TV is shocking. All about milking as much as possible at the top end and to hell with the rest.

Charge extortionate prices to go and watch them. Even Premiership club Rugby is no longer on terrestrial.

There’s enough alternative things to do out there even if it was accessible so being on terrestrial is critical to keep it in the public eye. 

About time the people who run the Championship clubs made some decision. Frankly there should be at least 14 clubs at that level to make a viable season. 

agree - England's men that is. Women have been on terrestrial and have enjoyed a major upsurge in profile/awareness. I'd favour something similar (more online than mainstream channels) for the Championship...
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 18:43
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Originally posted by Rothman2 Rothman2 wrote:

<div id="ypm-extension" ="ypm-extension">

agree - England's men that is. Women have been on terrestrial and have enjoyed a major upsurge in profile/awareness. I'd favour something similar (more online than mainstream channels) for the Championship...

I agree - the difference of course is the RFU have to fund the Premiership teams whereas this doesn't happen in football
RAID ON
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 22:32
Seems the club isn't doing too bad commercially, as this weekend's hospitality was sold out by lunch.
Westcoaster View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Westcoaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 11:22
Which Club, dropout ?
Come on Jersey........
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 14:26
Personally, I'm sad that Scottish has received two losing bonus points. Not because I have anything against them, but because if they'd have ended up without any points, you'd be able to say that they'd achieved a Scotch egg!
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 15:29
Originally posted by Westcoaster Westcoaster wrote:

Which Club, dropout ?
London Scottish
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic