National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Scottish Off

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scottish Off
    Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 22:10
Looks like LS will be off at the end of the season.
A move north to the Scottish Super 6 (soon to become 8) 

Board citing a few reasons including:
- They will likely be demoted to the National Leagues following the RFU Review (Does that mean we'll have a 10 team champ next season?)
- Stable funding in the SRU programme - £150,000 a year across the next 3 years
- All travel costs covered by the SRU (probably will save the club a good amount of cash)
- Their budget (I'm guessing without RFU Funding) would only allow the club's 1st XV to compete at Level 4/5 (according to the board).

Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 22:26
Sorry to be a bit thick - but what/when is this RFU review where LS are likely to be demoted?
Will they be playing in Scotland? If so the name London Scottish would seem to be a misnomer.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 22:28
Well, the Super 6 has a TV deal, so at least they have that going for them.
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 23:15
Originally posted by Stalwart Stalwart wrote:

Sorry to be a bit thick - but what/when is this RFU review where LS are likely to be demoted?
Will they be playing in Scotland? If so the name London Scottish would seem to be a misnomer.

For the first question, im not really sure... - I think it's around now. They have brought out a fan's survey (closing date sunday!).  What it is, that i have no idea.

No they plan to play at the RAG for the foreseeable.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 23:53
If LS feel they can only afford to play at level 4 or 5, then I tend to think they should be happy to play at level 4 or 5 - as that is what every other club with that budget does.

They should not be looking for support from the RFU or SRU because they are somehow special 

However, if the other clubs in Scotland are prepared to let their union waste money on LS - rather than spending it at home, more fool them.

However, I do not want RFU funding them.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Rothman2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 04:55

Similar to what London Welsh were rumoured to be wanting to do a few seasons back, in their case playing in the Welsh leagues.

The game of Rugby Union is a fantastic product, but over the years I have fallen out of love with it because it is run by people governed either by self interest or only being interested in England. 

The terrestrial channels wheel out the Six Nations but there is hardly any coverage of the Autumn tests, and even the excellent Channel 5 Prem highlights have been dropped. 

Sky no longer cover the Championship, funding has been cut, there are not enough games, and last season was nothing short of disgraceful in allowing promotion to Saracens based on 10 games yet we were relegated and replaced by someone who was deemed to win the play offs without actually playing, yet, this season,because of the bungling at higher levels, we have a situation in National 2 North (and South) where,  the second placed team may not even get the opportunity to play off for the chance to play in Nat 1 even if they wanted to.

In the past we have had to play off even after winning the league in a full season. No one knows how many teams will be in the Championship next season, but a structure that does not allow a home game every other week is unsustainable for revenue. 

The game lacks leadership. It’s no wonder players and fans are turning away from the game.

All that will be left at club level are the die hards and the ex players of the respective clubs who prop them up either financially or by through volunteer work.

Club Rugby is on its knees below the Prem and nobody cares a jot. 

Regionalisation is the only way below the Premiership. Due to there being no promotion from the Championship next season there is no incentive  for winning the league. What is the point?

So, back to London Scottish, I think, assuming there is substance to the story, they, in my opinion will not be the only club to consider the viability of a future of Rugby at elite (professional) level. It is not worth the investment save for the wealthy who bank roll certain clubs.

Edited by Rothman2 - 06 Nov 2021 at 05:07
As one door closes…….another one slams in your face.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 07:42
I guess because London Scottish felt they couldn't try to do a London Welsh and get into the Pro14 (URC) because all the South Africans jumped in making it far more expensive. I guess now being semi-pro, they didn't want the humiliation of relegation to Nat 1 or falling lower. And if the offer is that good then I can understand why they'd do it if all travel costs are covered and they get exemption from the quota.

I just hope for LS' sake that this Super 8s thing doesn't go blue mountain pepper up and they have to start at the bottom of the RFU pyramid (again).

Edited by Robb - 06 Nov 2021 at 07:47
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 10:31
Presumably if it doesn’t work out, they would have to start at the bottom of the league pyramid if they wanted to re-enter the league.

No idea why they think they’re going to be relegated. I thought it was already confirmed they’ll be no relegation this season. At the very least, they’ll promote 2 from the league below with rumours being it will be 4
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 11:05
I wonder if Jersey could move to D2 in France - brilliant grounds and excellent standard of rugby (not to mention the food & beverage attraction).
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 11:12
Firstly I know nothing about the make up of LS - are they genuinely Scottish exiles or just run like any other semi-pro side with players recruited from all over? Why is this relevant - well if its the latter then I fail to see what's in it for the Scottish RFU? (other than a load of unnecessary expense)
They are currently getting clobbered every week and it will probably get worse so maybe the relegation reference is regarding the 22/23 season.
This sounds almost as stupid as the topic of another thread (Ottawa RL basing themselves in Cornwall) 
Obviously if they do depart, and we go to 14 team Leagues across the board then it will require Top 3 up from all Level 5 Leagues plus 2 more best placed 4ths
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 11:47
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

I wonder if Jersey could move to D2 in France - brilliant grounds and excellent standard of rugby (not to mention the food & beverage attraction).

Oh gawd, not this total non-starter again... Confused & how could the food & beverage attraction possibly compete with Yorkshire ale + cow pie?!
Lord_Kitchener View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord_Kitchener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 12:15
Aren’t LS off to share Esher’s ground at the end of this season?
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 12:45
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Oh gawd, not this total non-starter again... Confused & how could the food & beverage attraction possibly compete with Yorkshire ale + cow pie?!
I have to agree Cow Pie & Bovril win every time.

Edited by corporalcarrot - 08 Nov 2021 at 10:24
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 13:44
I doubt they will be allowed to take the name north of the border, the SNP won't be happy..................Wacko
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 16:34
Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

Presumably if it doesn’t work out, they would have to start at the bottom of the league pyramid if they wanted to re-enter the league.

No idea why they think they’re going to be relegated. I thought it was already confirmed they’ll be no relegation this season. At the very least, they’ll promote 2 from the league below with rumours being it will be 4

They plan to push the LS Lions within the RFU structure at the same time, with an aim for Nat 3.
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 16:35

Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

I have no agree Cow Pie & Bovril win every time.
£2.5m a year in funding however, and massive gates.
Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 17:48
Where is news of this intended move coming from? There is nothing on the London Scottish website. 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 18:44
Sweeney Delenda Est
Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 20:29
Thank you. 
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 21:21
Also in the Rugby Paper, but behind a paywall.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic