National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Promotion Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 10:21
I am not sure the RFU actually cares, provided it does not cost any more.
My guess would be that they have made some promise to restore funding if their finances improve.
But that is just speculation.
And unless FDR or the RFU publish minutes of the meetings, that is all it will ever be.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 12:22
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

Jon Inverdale is a strong voice for the Nat League teams. Could it not be that after consultation actually not more than two or three clubs want to be promoted from Nat 1 to the Championship next season which is why they have now gone for a maximum of 2 being promoted at the end of this season. I am sure the current Champ clubs would prefer to play an increased number meaningful league fixtures against new opposition rather than the meaningless cup matches.

From what I have read the decision came from the Championship sides - normally only N1 champions are promoted so I cannot see why N1 sides wouldn't want to take the easier route of 4 up if available.

Especially when you look at the travelling in N1 which is at least as bad as that in Championship with the exception of the away weekend jolly to Jersey (highlight of any season?)
Any evidence to support that?
No?
Our City,
Our Club
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 12:41

Jon Inverdale is a strong voice for the Nat League teams. Could it not be that after consultation actually not more than two or three clubs want to be promoted from Nat 1 to the Championship next season which is why they have now gone for a maximum of 2 being promoted at the end of this season. I am sure the current Champ clubs would prefer to play an increased number meaningful league fixtures against new opposition rather than the meaningless cup matches.

From what I have read the decision came from the Championship sides - normally only N1 champions are promoted so I cannot see why N1 sides wouldn't want to take the easier route of 4 up if available.

Especially when you look at the travelling in N1 which is at least as bad as that in Championship with the exception of the away weekend jolly to Jersey (highlight of any season?)
No?

As a league of 16 as it stands 
Think you find it will be top 2 up ..with no relegation from the Champ..meaning its then a 14 team league at National 1

Bottom 3 will go, meaning OEs plus sides in 15th and 14th positions
Winners of 2 North and South come up plus play off winner, giving Nat 1 the required 14 sides.

Edited by Scrumtime - 05 Jan 2022 at 12:41
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 14:09
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

No?
As a league of 16 as it stands 
Think you find it will be top 2 up ..with no relegation from the Champ..meaning its then a 14 team league at National 1

Bottom 3 will go, meaning OEs plus sides in 15th and 14th positions
Winners of 2 North and South come up plus play off winner, giving Nat 1 the required 14 sides.
And the 'decision' coming from the Championship sides?
Our City,
Our Club
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 17:35
They are at a status quo if LS go (11) or add one next season if they stay (12)
And add the top 2 the season after to get to a 14 team league as well.

They will not take anything more than the top 2 up, as freak results could see sides ending up 3rd and 4th and will not be anywhere near Champ standard.

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 18:22
If a poor side was promoted by fluke, they would be demoted next season.
But personally, I do not think there is much of a gap between the top seven sides.
It is going to be a very interesting second half of the season.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 19:38

No?

You can look through the forum as easily as I can - not got time myself
RAID ON
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 19:39

They will not take anything more than the top 2 up, as freak results could see sides ending up 3rd and 4th and will not be anywhere near Champ standard.

I imagine most N1 sides would beat L Scottish (by their own admission)
RAID ON
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 19:40

Not sure how you get to that statement, as 1 team is going up to the Premiership

As Kimbo would say any evidence?

Edited by Raider999 - 05 Jan 2022 at 19:41
RAID ON
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 21:12
What is champ standard? Any team promoted would recruit. Are Ealing prem standard? They will recruit jeez how single minded are the champ teams too comfortable picking up central funding
So many Christians not enough Lions
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 22:26

No?

Oh, so it's just tittle-tattle then?
As expected. No evidence.
Our City,
Our Club
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 07:25
It's so disappointing to see the ongoing niggle on these pages between the Champ set and those from Nat Lg, with a palpable lack of mutual respect (a 'core value' of rugby last time I checked).

The RFU & PRL must be chuckling at all this squabbling by people who should have far more in common than what divides them. My experience of Nat 2/ Nat 1 was entirely positive & I also enjoy the Championship, in spite of its structural issues...

I thought/hoped the review process would hammer out a way forward, but we're yet to see any evidence of such an outcome, with a still lot of factors seemingly outside the control of those involved.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 20:16

No?

Oh, so it's just tittle-tattle then?
As expected. No evidence.

I recall watching Raiders beat the mighty Coventry in N1 a few years ago - surprising how som Championship teams supporters forget they have been at lower levels within recent times.
RAID ON
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 07:20
An early contender for non-sequitur of the year, there...
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 08:35
Originally posted by Mark W-J Mark W-J wrote:

An early contender for non-sequitur of the year, there...
He has form.
Keep watching.
Our City,
Our Club
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 14:36
Oh the irony!
Park Ranger View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Park Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 05:23
It's starting to look like a one horse race in National 1 with Park 10 lengths in front with 5 furlongs left to run - playing on the 4G is a definite advantage as we move into boggy pitches and winter conditions.

Ealing have a similar advantage.

Assuming Park and Ealing will both be promoted - who else in The Championship plays on plastic???

Is this a definitive list of plastic pitches:

Saracens, Newcastle Falcons, Ealing Trailfinders, Rosslyn Park, Loughborough Students?????
If you're not on the pitch you can't win the game
Park Ranger View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Park Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 05:41
Because this thread is attracting a healthy number of Championship people who are obviously interested in the future of their league and who will be joining from National 1 - I have one more question...
Do promoted Nat 1 sides get any financial support from the RFU to assist them make the transition to a higher standard????
If you're not on the pitch you can't win the game
oldman View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 11:08
Park ranger need to add Stourbridge, Bournville, Kingsholm, Chester,
oldman
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 12:10
Originally posted by Park Ranger Park Ranger wrote:

It's starting to look like a one horse race in National 1 with Park 10 lengths in front with 5 furlongs left to run - playing on the 4G is a definite advantage as we move into boggy pitches and winter conditions.

Ealing have a similar advantage.

Assuming Park and Ealing will both be promoted - who else in The Championship plays on plastic???

Is this a definitive list of plastic pitches:

Saracens, Newcastle Falcons, Ealing Trailfinders, Rosslyn Park, Loughborough Students?????

Coventry

Edited by KnightsBoy - 18 Jan 2022 at 12:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic