National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Championship - Week 9 Predictions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 18:05
Originally posted by Hoffee Hoffee wrote:

Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

HT on the Island, Reds awarded PT during last play & lead 7-0. Pretty near impossible to play in these conditions but on balance of play - CP not in J 22 once - perhaps a deserved lead. F8 wind blowing across pitch, usually with driving rain too... Sleepy<div id="ypm-extension" ="ypm-extension"="">

How did our boys get on in the second half? FT score suggests a close game in the end, although perhaps the weather was the cause of that.
We've never had much luck in Jersey! 

I’m sorry (but not) to say that the score line reflected the weather, which made scoring difficult. However, the game was dominated in large parts by Jersey.
The Pirates defense was very good in the 1st half and Jersey gave too many pens away (not all justified if I’m honest) which allowed Pirates to clear their lines, only for Jersey to come back at them.
Neither sets of backs got any ball of note, with the exception being for CP’s try, which was a very fine score in the corner.
Other than that, all Red I’m afraid.
I did think that the Pirates 10 had an awesome game. Some brilliant clearances in impossible conditions.
Makes the table look interesting though.
Tackle Low!!!!!
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 19:07
A really tight game between two well matched teams down South in St Peter. IMO Jersey just had the edge throughout and played the windy conditions and slope better as they should as the home team. Jersey's line out in difficult conditions was better than good and defense was awesome. Pirates play right on the limit and their midfield and maul defence was exceptional. The yellow cards probably cost them the match but if you push that hard they will come. I think they "lost" the referee's patience by disputing decisions - I think they were marched back 10 three or four times and that's just too many. I still think they are most likely to push Trailfinders all the way and that should be good for rugby. Safe trip back lads - your club are the one I always measure Jersey's progress against and look up to.   
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Dalesman View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 19:12
Doncaster were magnificent. Especially in second half into the wind, defending a 10-0 half time lead which nobody thought would be enough. The defence was awesome, disciplined and conceded no penalties for 38 minutes. Ealing were clearly shocked as the Donny scrum were always in control.
Best game at Castle Park for a long time.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 19:36
Good assessments above on the Reds/Pirates game from Brizzer & CC. Alan Paver was gracious in defeat & said he felt the home side seized the key moments for a deserved win. In the top 3-4 worst weather conditions for the 150-200 Reds' home league games I've seen... Donny supporters may remember the New Year's game here in 2016 - similar to that apart from wind direction
Hoffee View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoffee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 19:58
Sounds like Pirates struggled to gain possession for much of the game, which has been the story of many of our games this season.
As the Jersey supporters above mention, Pirates always seem to play right on the edge of what's legal, which is why our penalty count is always so high every game, which doesn't help the possession side of things.
I like to think when we get the penalties sorted we'll be a real force. 

Edited by Hoffee - 27 Nov 2021 at 19:59
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 20:22

Good assessments above on the Reds/Pirates game from Brizzer & CC. Alan Paver was gracious in defeat & said he felt the home side seized the key moments for a deserved win. In the top 3-4 worst weather conditions for the 150-200 Reds' home league games I've seen... Donny supporters may remember the New Year's game here in 2016 - similar to that apart from wind direction

I sure do, that game was a game of two halves as they say.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 20:41

In the top 3-4 worst weather conditions for the 150-200 Reds' home league games I've seen... Donny supporters may remember the New Year's game here in 2016 - similar to that apart from wind direction
My own worst conditions in recent years:

Away - Ayr away in the B&I cup - a snorkel & flippers day

although of course I played in far worse
Rothman2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 21:17
Fantastic result Doncaster.

Hope it’s a straight fight between Donny, Jersey and Pirates.

Need to keep the monopoly out of London.

Just make sure you’ve got a door on your toilets for when the auditors come calling. 

Seriously where are all clubs at with suitability for the Prem???
It’s vital whoever finishes top doesn’t fall foul of the red tape.
As one door closes…….another one slams in your face.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 21:24
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

In the top 3-4 worst weather conditions for the 150-200 Reds' home league games I've seen... Donny supporters may remember the New Year's game here in 2016 - similar to that apart from wind direction
My own worst conditions in recent years:

Away - Ayr away in the B&I cup - a snorkel & flippers day

although of course I played in far worse

I was at the Rotherham game, but not Ayr [LINK] altho' I recall Finn Russell played in the latter match...

My original post referred to weather conditions, rather than the state of the pitch. The Rotherham game featured a terrible pitch, but as I recall the weather on the day was ok. For Reds' away games I'd mention the following:
Donnyknightfan View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyknightfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 23:41
Originally posted by Rothman2 Rothman2 wrote:

Just make sure you’ve got a door on your toilets for when the auditors come calling. 

Ah Rothman2, it’s good to see you frequenting this forum again. I see that Roth are going great guns in N2N which is good to see. I still hold out hope that we’ll see the Derby back one day. I miss the Roth and Leeds fixtures, they were always a bit special. Anyway back to the suitability for the Prem, well when Donny applied for the audit in 2016 we used the Keepmoat as our ground in the event that we were promoted. I assume that arrangement could be resurrected again. I still think it’s scandalous we couldn’t play Premiership Rugby at Castle Park as it is now. I’m biased but it’s the best ground in this league by far. It’s better in terms of supporter experience than a lot of Premiership grounds. We should be able to play in the Prem at Castle Park without having to improve it. It’s good enough already. 
Donny Knights - best team in Yorkshire
Member728 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Member728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 00:06
At LS could have fallen asleep the 1st half but LS deserved 2nd half Cov are really seem to be somewhere else
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 07:48
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 08:16

The Championship table 2021-2022 (championshiprugby.co.uk)

Only a BP win between the top 4, this season is looking competitively tight this season, with Bedford not too far behind in 5th.
Great stuff!!
Tackle Low!!!!!
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 11:28
Originally posted by Donnyknightfan Donnyknightfan wrote:

Ah Rothman2, it’s good to see you frequenting this forum again. I see that Roth are going great guns in N2N which is good to see. I still hold out hope that we’ll see the Derby back one day. I miss the Roth and Leeds fixtures, they were always a bit special. Anyway back to the suitability for the Prem, well when Donny applied for the audit in 2016 we used the Keepmoat as our ground in the event that we were promoted. I assume that arrangement could be resurrected again. I still think it’s scandalous we couldn’t play Premiership Rugby at Castle Park as it is now. I’m biased but it’s the best ground in this league by far. It’s better in terms of supporter experience than a lot of Premiership grounds. We should be able to play in the Prem at Castle Park without having to improve it. It’s good enough already. 

Having been there once for a N1 game, I would agree it is a great ground with Potential to be developed into a Premiership facility - presumably the Keepmoat option would be temporary while Castle Park is developed?
RAID ON
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 11:39
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Donnyknightfan Donnyknightfan wrote:

Having been there once for a N1 game, I would agree it is a great ground with Potential to be developed into a Premiership facility - presumably the Keepmoat option would be temporary while Castle Park is developed?

Correct the keepmoat option was always temporary, while the ground was fitted with the temporary erected stands.

Edited by KnightsBoy - 28 Nov 2021 at 11:39
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 11:51
Championship Round Nine Review (championshiprugby.co.uk)

Pirates v Donny next week - is it possible to stream that huge game - PLEASE

I also think Castle Park is easily the best ground (and second best pitch) in the league - and they sell hot bovril and have a magician who makes wonderful pies.

Edited by corporalcarrot - 28 Nov 2021 at 11:54
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 13:00

Championship Round Nine Review (championshiprugby.co.uk)

Pirates v Donny next week - is it possible to stream that huge game - PLEASE

I also think Castle Park is easily the best ground (and second best pitch) in the league - and they sell hot bovril and have a magician who makes wonderful pies.

2nd best pitch??WinkLOLWinkLOL
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 13:27
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

2nd best pitch??WinkLOLWinkLOL
Mylo would properly rip my head off if I even suggested there is a better pitch anywhere than the one he lovingly cares for at St Peter. 

islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 19:58
I believe Pirates are streaming all their H games at present...
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 20:23

I believe Pirates are streaming all their H games at present...

That's right - and a bargain at £7. If you wait until later, when the game is over, it's only £2 I think.
It's another thing the RFU tried to scupper. The first game was streamed, then they decided to impose some kind of minimum criteria regarding cameras etc. Presumably they backed down as it was reinstated fairly soon and I think only one game was missed as a result. Coverage is very good, although be prepared for a somewhat one-eyed commentary because the commentators are usually players who are injured! That said they do a bleddy good job IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic