National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Championship - Week 10 Predictions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cornish Pirates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 16:27
pIRATES 29 dONNY 7 ft
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 16:27
Originally posted by Donnyknightfan Donnyknightfan wrote:

The ref has been shocking 

I thought Sir was ok & certainly didn’t feel his decisions especially favoured one side over t’other. Donny need to look at themselves - when the ref awards at least 15, perhaps as many as 20 penalties against your opponents & sends 3 of them to the bin, & yet you can only manage one score in 80 minutes, you are under-performing, albeit that Pirates deserve great credit for both their defence & ability to take scoring chances…

Felt the stream was decent value for 7 quid…
Donnyknightfan View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyknightfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 16:36
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

I thought Sir was ok & certainly didn’t feel his decisions especially favoured one side over t’other. Donny need to look at themselves - when the ref awards at least 15, perhaps as many as 20 penalties against your opponents & sends 3 of them to the bin, & yet you can only manage one score in 80 minutes, you are under-performing, albeit that Pirates deserve great credit for both their defence & ability to take scoring chances…

Do you know what, you’re right. Donny just made far too many basic errors. I enjoyed the stream. I actually had it on without the commentary. The picture quality and camera angles were excellent. It definitely was worth buying, albeit my enjoyment was slightly dulled by Donny’s performance!. The first 20 minutes was where we lost that game, just nowhere near clinical enough. 2 man advantage and all the territory and yet only one try. I thought we really lacked any attacking rhythm today. Even with two men less early on Pirates were comfortable in defence. 
Donny Knights - best team in Yorkshire
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 16:37
We were shocking - Pirates deserve the win - we have a lot of questions to answer about why we didn’t perform in any area - 29 unanswered points…..? Only us to blame
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 16:40
The ref was dreadful and completely inconsistent. No one could work out what the second yellow card early in the first half was for.
A succession of penalties given away by Donny in Naughty Boys Corner late in the first half yet no cards. In the second half, in the same corner, Caleb Montgomery carded after being on the field for less than a minute, for a first offence at a line out and mall.
Head high tackle on Pirate runner late in second half led to penalty but no conversation with offender, contrasting with early first half yellow for Kiri Kiri for the same offence.
I’d be interested to see what the officials’ observer thought.
I thought Donny were very disappointing after their heroics of last week and it was, in the end, a comfortable five pointer for us.
Great to see our captain Nico de Battista back for his first appearance of the season after a lengthy injury.

Edited by cheshire exile - 05 Dec 2021 at 16:41
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 16:52
Originally posted by cheshire exile cheshire exile wrote:

The ref was dreadful and completely inconsistent. No one could work out what the second yellow card early in the first half was for.
A succession of penalties given away by Donny in Naughty Boys Corner late in the first half yet no cards. In the second half, in the same corner, Caleb Montgomery carded after being on the field for less than a minute, for a first offence at a line out and mall.
Head high tackle on Pirate runner late in second half led to penalty but no conversation with offender, contrasting with early first half yellow for Kiri Kiri for the same offence.
I’d be interested to see what the officials’ observer thought.
I thought Donny were very disappointing after their heroics of last week and it was, in the end, a comfortable five pointer for us.
Great to see our captain Nico de Battista back for his first appearance of the season after a lengthy injury.

The succession of penalties given up by Donny late in 1st half was punished by a YC to DK scrum-half…
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 17:00
So it was , my mistake. Doesn’t obviate the comparison with the speed of Montgomery’s card though.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 17:01

Fully agree with all of this imo the ref was generally clear in his decision making and always impartial.. These two teams are still the most likely to make Ealing work hard for promotion but the penalty count was frankly woeful for both sides. Indiscipline was a huge factor in Pirates defeat at St Peter but in the second half with that wind in their backs Donny didn't have the forwards or game plan to turn that indiscipline into points. Stream quality was excellent for £7 but happy to pay a few quid more if they could upgrade the commentary.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 17:12
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Fully agree with all of this imo the ref was generally clear in his decision making and always impartial.. These two teams are still the most likely to make Ealing work hard for promotion but the penalty count was frankly woeful for both sides. Indiscipline was a huge factor in Pirates defeat at St Peter but in the second half with that wind in their backs Donny didn't have the forwards or game plan to turn that indiscipline into points. Stream quality was excellent for £7 but happy to pay a few quid more if they could upgrade the commentary.

As much as I am 100% against ring fencing, this season is shaping up to be a belter. Still plenty of rugby left in this season. Can’t wait
Tackle Low!!!!!
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 17:26
P.S. the second yellow card was for a head high tackle - unfortunately the guy who was carded was the second tackler so the tackled player was on his way down. It was the correct decision as it was still the tacklers responsibility to be safe in the tackle.

I do not think any of the YC decisions were wrong - the Donny scrum half got the team penalty card
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 19:27
So head high tackles are an immediate yellow card except for the Donny high tackle late in the second half, penalised but no card?
Come on!
I’m not having a go at the Knights, I’m persisting in the view that the ref was inconsistent, as well as highly intolerant at the breakdown.
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 20:00
I wasn't impressed by the officiating, but you have to try to manage it somehow. I don't think I've ever seen a team concede 21 penalties and three yellow cards but keep the opposition down to one try and win with a BP. 
The Pirates forwards were brilliant and the defence was rock solid. The, when a bit of space opened up the backs began to show what they can do. This team is coming together nicely.
I reckon the Donny guys suffered, especially in the second half, from their massive efforts last week and understandably ran out of steam a bit.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 21:54
Originally posted by cheshire exile cheshire exile wrote:

So head high tackles are an immediate yellow card except for the Donny high tackle late in the second half, penalised but no card?
Come on!
I’m not having a go at the Knights, I’m persisting in the view that the ref was inconsistent, as well as highly intolerant at the breakdown.
I understand what you are saying but the impacts and points of contact I think were why the calls were made differently. The Cornish card was a shoulder to the front side of the head (close to square in the face) the Donny was high and from behind and an arm. Not sure if that influenced things. TBH if he carded him I would have thought ok fair enough 
Bigbluepip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigbluepip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 00:14
Originally posted by Cov kid 42 Cov kid 42 wrote:

I hate to say I told you so in my prediction of Cov to win 4-1 ! Wounded Cov responded  magnificently to Rowland Winter's comments after London Scottish.
In may not have been for the purist, but with 4 yellow cards to Bedford's 1, to keep them out when down to 13 men was a monumental effort & just reward at the final whistle.
I will be interested to read Bedford's match report.Emoticons

It was basically we couldn’t take our chances, which sounded like it was down to your defence, I’d expect us to score at least a couple of tries against 13. Most common theme was the number of penalties we gave away, and can I be absolutely clear, I’m not blaming the officials, and I wasn’t there so can’t give my own opinion (too cold, so I decided not to travel). The players who were interviewed after were really disappointed with their performance and the number of pens they gave up.
I want you all to line up in a circle and pair up in three's alphabetically by height.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 08:06
Originally posted by Bigbluepip Bigbluepip wrote:

I hate to say I told you so in my prediction of Cov to win 4-1 ! Wounded Cov responded  magnificently to Rowland Winter's comments after London Scottish.
In may not have been for the purist, but with 4 yellow cards to Bedford's 1, to keep them out when down to 13 men was a monumental effort & just reward at the final whistle.

It was basically we couldn’t take our chances, which sounded like it was down to your defence, I’d expect us to score at least a couple of tries against 13. Most common theme was the number of penalties we gave away, and can I be absolutely clear, I’m not blaming the officials, and I wasn’t there so can’t give my own opinion (too cold, so I decided not to travel). The players who were interviewed after were really disappointed with their performance and the number of pens they gave up.
Im fairly sure that John (Cov Kid 42) knows the story of the game quite well, being at the game, and doing the commentary for the BBC and all.
Our City,
Our Club
RobC View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 09:45

Having actually been at the game I can tell you that Cov probably had more chances with the line in sight than Bedford.  But for last ditch tackles from both defences, the score could well have been in the 30s for both sides.
As for the penalties, sometimes these are down to opposition pressure you know...
Bigbluepip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigbluepip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 13:42
Originally posted by RobC RobC wrote:

Having actually been at the game I can tell you that Cov probably had more chances with the line in sight than Bedford.  But for last ditch tackles from both defences, the score could well have been in the 30s for both sides.
As for the penalties, sometimes these are down to opposition pressure you know...

Like I said, down to your defence, boy it’s hard to compliment people sometimes 😂
I want you all to line up in a circle and pair up in three's alphabetically by height.
RobC View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 14:26

Originally posted by RobC RobC wrote:

Like I said, down to your defence, boy it’s hard to compliment people sometimes 😂

I appreciate the compliment - I was kind of returning it with reference to the defence of both sides.  It's just a bit of a bug bear of mine when supporters, coaches etc talk about penalties being 'given away' as though the opposition had nothing to do with it.
Both sides will play better and I'm sure it will be a different story at G.R.  I hope to be there - no matter the weather... Wink
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 16:44
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 08:10

Nottingham v Jersey off

This game now rescheduled for Fri Feb 4th
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic