National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Away grounds in the Championship

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which is the toughest away ground to go to in the league?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [46.15%]
4 [30.77%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyknightfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Away grounds in the Championship
    Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 11:18
It seems like this season home advantage is becoming ever more important with the margins tightening. 33 of the 48 games have been won by the home teams so far. Let’s have a poll, which is the toughest venue to visit in the Championship and why?. Current teams only of course and let’s try and be objective!. I’ve put the first vote in for the Mennaye. That is one tough place to play. My top 3 would be The Mennaye, St Peter and Goldington Road. A few years ago I would have maybe put the BPA but it’s probably a slightly better experience now because of the artificial pitch. Interested to see what the consensus is. 
Donny Knights - best team in Yorkshire
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 14:09
The Mennaye has been a tough ground for as long as I can recall - perhaps it is the surface, perhaps it’s the coastal breeze, or just what they feed the players on…

However my one vote for recent years has to be Vallis Way
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 15:04
I guess this is one area that could be measured eg since Sept 2016, Reds have played 47 home league games by my count, winning 29 & drawing one...

I voted for Ealing, as none of the present bunch of Champ rivals have won there in a league match since Pirates in Dec 2016... they are strong & well-resourced & having the only artificial surface also adds to home advantage IMHO
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 15:36
According to the stats, Fortress No. 1 has got to be Vallis Way. But as an Ealing supporter, both Castle Park and The Mennaye fill me with trepidation (and I don’t just mean this season). The Bay gets an honourable mention, as does Stad Santander. The RAG has provided a few banana skins in the past but does not currently instil much fear - which makes me a complete hostage to fortune!

Edited by oneagainstthehead - 06 Dec 2021 at 15:37
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 15:46
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

I guess this is one area that could be measured eg since Sept 2016, Reds have played 47 home league games by my count, winning 29 & drawing one...<div id="ypm-extension" ="ypm-extension">

I voted for Ealing, as none of the present bunch of Champ rivals have won there in a league match since Pirates in Dec 2016... they are strong & well-resourced & having the only artificial surface also adds to home advantage IMHO

What he said!!

However, I would add that The Mennaye and Castle Park do run very close to Vallis. Without the plastic I would have The Mennaye just ahead of Castle Park with Vallis in third. With the plastic it is a very easy decision.

On the flip side, Bedford has to be my favourite venue for the Reds to visit, both from a visiting fan point of view and from a results point of view. We may not always win, but it is always a very competitive and close encounter.
Tackle Low!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic