National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Halfway 2021/22

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Halfway 2021/22
    Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 19:27
Unbelievable but we have got past week 11 of fixtures, and are now halfway through the league season.

Happy with your team? I am happy that Bedford are 5th, and will take that.

But what a farce that we are at this point, but still no idea what 2022/23 season will be like. Relegation I think is off the table. Like many I believe it will be four up from National 1. While Rosslyn Park at present are looking good, the other three not looking as clear with seven points separating 2nd and 6th place. Too early to say who will come up, but have memories of Park being regulars to Bedford, would be nice to see them return.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 21:02
You forgot about… what about the non-existent cup we are supposed to have. Not that I have any excitement towards it, but it will give some players an opportunity.

I feel Blues could be higher up but seem to struggle with consistency (the issues of a generally young team) and fall asleep in games (Jersey, Pirates, Richmond and Coventry were all winnable). Today we went to sleep against Scottish and it shouldn’t have come back to be level with not long to go. With nothing to play for it adds drama and makes it more tense.

We are scoring points but also conceding them!
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 21:44
Yes I remembered the cup, but was focusing on league. 
Really not sure come April, semi decent weather, Easter if I will bother going to a cup game.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 09:43
Very happy with The Pirates so far. This was a much changed, and relatively young team, and I thought it would take a while to gel, but we've put in some excellent performances. Away games are always a challenge. We slipped up at Hartpury and were lucky to get the win at LS. At home we are very strong but home and away our penalty and yellow card count is scarily high. 
It feels like there is more to come from this squad, but injuries to key players might be a problem if they crop up as the season progresses.
We've got to go away Ealing, Donny, Bedford and Coventry - so some tough trips to come.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 11:19
Given the horrible level of injuries in Jersey's small squad for them to be anywhere near Ealing & Pirates at this stage is a phenomenal effort imo. Ultimately I believe the quality and strength in depth in Ealing's squad will see them over the line by 10 clear points at the end of season as the chasing sides invariably beat each other. Still plenty of banana skins ahead for Ealing starting next week away to Hartpury who may have a decent influx from their premiership chums and I'm ever hopeful some of Jersey's key injured players may be back for the Ealing game at St Peter.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 12:18
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Given the horrible level of injuries in Jersey's small squad for them to be anywhere near Ealing & Pirates at this stage is a phenomenal effort imo. Ultimately I believe the quality and strength in depth in Ealing's squad will see them over the line by 10 clear points at the end of season as the chasing sides invariably beat each other. Still plenty of banana skins ahead for Ealing starting next week away to Hartpury who may have a decent influx from their premiership chums and I'm ever hopeful some of Jersey's key injured players may be back for the Ealing game at St Peter.

If you looked at Gloucester's team at Lyon on Friday (challenge cup) it was virtually a 2nd 15 - this suggests that Gloucester fringe players may be involved again this week and therefore not likely to turn out for Hartpury.
RAID ON
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 14:08
I've not looked in detail at Pury's pattern of loan recruitment but I thought Bristol & Wuss were just as supportive as Glaws. It would seem a tad harsh on Pirates who lost at Pury if Ealing ended up playing a team exclusively made up of Students next week.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 14:40
The problem is the RFU see everything outside the Premiership as a way to develop players.
Hence, the regulations permitting 4 loan players and 7 dual registered England Academy players.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 14:46
And the Championship clubs as unfunded "puppets"! 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 15:28
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

The problem is the RFU see everything outside the Premiership as a way to develop players.
Hence, the regulations permitting 4 loan players and 7 dual registered England Academy players.
I have no problem if that is the rule and its applied consistently but hope Pury have a broadly similar crop of "Barbarians" next week as they fielded against Pirates.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 15:37
They are still getting substantially more than any other club outside the Premiership.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 16:16
Yes a really fascinating season . . Ealing should be run away leaders but have shown themselves to be fallible, which is great. I have a feeling that Pirates might just sneek the league . . just to be bloody minded, that said a young team with some very tricky away trips to come, so injuries will be key.

As for who comes up I, I am presuming 4 will as Scottish will stay and Ealing will probably go, Roslyn Park have spent big, Sale would seem the ideal fit as they can effectively be Sharks 2nd XV, Cinderford . .  a rugby heartland. As for the 4th spot I have a feeling Chinnor might just make it with possibly a few more players drafted in after Xmas.
Run with it
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 16:55
I think LS will follow the money and go.
Which does not say a lot for the RFU, admittedly, the SRU are only supporting two franchises and 8 semi-pro clubs - rather than 14 and 14.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 17:40
At the moment, in Nat 1, we have seven top clubs, any one of which can beat another on their day. Admittedly, Park have only lost twice, so have had fewer off days than most.  Having said hat the next seven are no mugs and evenly matched, even Tonbridge, stuck at the bottom with only two wins, are a decent side.

Assuming London Scottish do metaphorically go North, you could promote seven and have a 16 team league. I do not believe any of the Championship teams would be able to take a visit to any of them lightly, and most would fear going to the Rock.

There is a lot of rugby to be played this season, we simply not know which or how many clubs  will find themselves with a Golden/Cursed ticket to the Championship.

I believe this is the most competitive National 1 season ever.
Given several of the best teams will be promoted, possibly that ever will be.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 19:39
I doubt very much  that LS will go North . . . if you were a player at LS, paid a small amount to be on a train every other Friday for 4 and half hours . . . . not sure many would sign up for that.

I get to watch Nat 1 and Championship and I think there is a significant gap in standard, but certainly much less than there used to be and as Champ loses funding it will become a more level playing field.
Run with it
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 22:36
Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

I doubt very much  that LS will go North . . . if you were a player at LS, paid a small amount to be on a train every other Friday for 4 and half hours . . . . not sure many would sign up for that.

I get to watch Nat 1 and Championship and I think there is a significant gap in standard, but certainly much less than there used to be and as Champ loses funding it will become a more level playing field.

I thought one of the reasons LS were going north was for increased payments.

I would have thought the bigger problem with this was what is in it for the other teams in the Super 6 (soon to be 8) - they will have to find increased money to pay for a trip to London every season.
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 22:40
I thought according to the statement the SRU was going to pay all travel costs.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Whistle watcher View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whistle watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 07:35
I don't think it will just be about travel costs though.  The average journey time by train between London Euston and Glasgow Central is 5 hours and 26 minutes  and Edinburgh (Waverley) is 5 hours and 8 minutes, so that's a day just on the train, never mind getting to and from the stations.  

Unless the players are full time professionals, they're giving up their weekends as will be the volunteers who travel with the club.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 09:39
Camquin you are correct the SRU is footing that bill.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
High Heidjin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Heidjin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 21:30
London Scottish will NOT be playing in any SRU competition. They will continue to play in the Championship. End of. 
The Inner Game Will Win Every Time
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic