National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

2021-22 Championship - Week 12

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 13:49
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

I think we will see quite a few Boxing Day postponements, which is a shame because Bedford have a (capped) 4500 sell out. Personally, if teams are able to play I’d continue playing rather than having a forced break because it’s quite possible there will be more covid outbreaks later in the season, so if you don’t have one atm then you may as well get the game on.

We would play no matter what, Jersey should be COVID free and then we would get a team out. It is too much money to lose.

We don’t exactly have a big squad so if we can’t field a team, we can’t field a team 

We would borrow from other clubs, Northampton would help, get Sharp and McCarthy to dust off the boots.

I’m sorry but you are living in a bubble if you think Bedford are somehow immune from the risk of postponing a fixture due to covid. I really hope the game goes ahead but if there’s an outbreak in the squad, it won’t happen regardless of the financial cost. Saints have their own games to worry about and if we were hit by covid, I don’t think they’d be keen to send a bunch of other squad players here with the risk of them becoming unavailable

Bluesman you are probably the most pessimistic Bluesman around.  There is a business case for it.  The game must be worth £100k+. 4,500 sell out now plus online tickets, hospitality, bar sales etc.

Say Blues lose 50% of their squad they still have 15 players, so only need a few to get a game on.  At present it appears we have had 0 cases.

For starters Saints could send some of their U18 players who don't even get DR'd to us usually let alone see the Saints full-time squad. The Blues would happily pay other clubs to get a game on, it's too big a loss not to.  The other clubs would be grateful for some cash to send 3rd choices, especially if they have had to cancel their games.  There are enough clubs around the country who would let Blues borrow some players.  

The RFU just made the decision to postpone the Richmond game due to them having cases, so again it has it potential to not even be up to us were at outbreak to happen. There are games being cancelled across all sports at all levels, I’m not being pessimistic or saying it will be cancelled I just can’t fathom how you are so confident it won’t affect Bedford as if we are some sort of special case.

I also don’t think it will be financially catastrophic were the worst to happen. Given the circumstances, I doubt many of the 4500 ticket holders will request a refund. Most will either just say let’s go to the rearranged game anyway or let the club keep the money. So we’d likely still have the money for 3500-4000 tickets. We wouldn’t get the full 4500 in for the rearranged game, but I suspect because a lot of people won’t ask for a refund we will probably still get 3000 for the rearranged game so won’t lose tonnes of bar money either.
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 16:24
All the same, a little disappointing for all those Blues fans with nowhere to go on Boxing Day - unless they nip over to Coventry ?
RAID ON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic