National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Regional 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

LSE1 Halfway point

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LSE1 Halfway point
    Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 12:23

Well this is the league table at half way point

Team Pts   Team Pts
1 Dorking 58 8 Tring 28
2 Hertford 51 9 Sidcup 26
3 North Walsham 50 10 Brighton 23
4 Sevenoaks 49 11 Sutton and Espsom 20
5 Wimbledon 47 12 Maidenhead 16
6 Havant 40 13 Tunbridge Wells 14
7 Westcombe Park 34 14 CS Stags 1863 -8

Dorking still on top after seeing off North Walsham and Wimbledon in consecutive weekends in hard fought games but Wimbledon down to 5th from 2nd, that is how close this league is. 

Interested what everyones views are on how their teams have done so far.  

From my perspective Dorking have come on a lot in last few years and now have very competitive pack. They have also cut out the yellow cards and are not getting on the wrong side of Sir. as in past years. Also still a young side so some more to come. 

Looking forward to next round.      
secondrow View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote secondrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 13:21
Hertford's next three games could be crucial, North Walsham, Wimbledon and Dorking. Early in the season we couldnt win a lineout, which made it difficult to win games, since then the set pieces have functioned well. We also welcome back a former captain of the club who last season was the captain of Ampthill in the championship. Lets hope that covid doesnt interfere though I guess if the season stopped now we would be promoted!! 
FEZ ANT PLUCKER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEZ ANT PLUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 16:23
Next 5 games for top 5

DORKING          HERTFORD            NTH WALSHAM           7OAKS           WIMBLEDON          
18/12    TRING (h)      NTH WALSHAM (h)    HERTFORD (a)        WEST PARK (a)     MAIDENHEAD(a)    
8/1   MAIDENHEAD(h) WIMBLEDON (a)        WEST PARK(h)        CS STAGS (h)       HERTFORD (h)
15/1  HERTFORD (a)    DORKING (h)            CS STAGS (a)         HAVANT (a)          WEST PARK (a)
22/1  WEST PARK (h)   TRING (a)                 HAVANT (h)           SIDCUP (h)           CS STAGS (h)
29/1  CS STAGS (a)      MAIDENHEAD (h)      SIDCUP (a)           BRIGHTON (a)       HAVANT (a) 

Improving Westcombe Park and lowly CS Stags feature prominently in the above, however fast improving Hertford seem to have the toughest schedule, whereas Sevenoaks seem to have the less demanding challenge ahead. Injuries and absences (holiday season and Covid tests) will likely play a part in defining team strengths and vulnerabilities. Whatever happens by the end of January 2022 this has surely been the most competitive and exciting season for many a year. Good luck to all. All views welcome.                                                     
Fezantplucker
carlos fandango View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlos fandango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 16:53
I think our entire season will be decided in the above matches. That ridiculous loss to Tring back in September looks like it will come back to haunt us come May.
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 16:56
Westcombe Pk have improved because Andy Pratt ex Canterbury d of r has taken over the coaching.
With him and Dave Marshal they have a coaching team that have turned the results around.
Add to that the half dozen baby OEs they have pick up at the start of the season, who are coming of age, they have picked up some good results.
The next few weeks will be a test as they have 4 of the top 5, but Pratts input and coaching has been the major factor.

Edited by Scrumtime - 13 Dec 2021 at 16:57
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 17:31
Shamrose - I'm not quite sure why you think a 24 point gap between 1st & 7th constitutes a "tight" league? Cast your eye over Midlands Prem where its just 9 points - now that IS tight! 
Sir_Q View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir_Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 17:33
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

Westcombe Pk have improved because Andy Pratt ex Canterbury d of r has taken over the coaching.
With him and Dave Marshal they have a coaching team that have turned the results around.
Add to that the half dozen baby OEs they have pick up at the start of the season, who are coming of age, they have picked up some good results.
The next few weeks will be a test as they have 4 of the top 5, but Pratts input and coaching has been the major factor.

Hilarious LOL 

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 17:58
Carlos -
Plenty of sides will be promoted this season as there is a new league at level 3 and 2 new ones at level 4.

Sweeney Delenda Est
dave2dave View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave2dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 18:51
teams encouraging new players @ a cost  
see westcliff , rochford 1000 and others still trying to play snakes and ladders

Edited by dave2dave - 13 Dec 2021 at 19:20
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 20:05
Originally posted by Sir_Q Sir_Q wrote:

Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

Hilarious LOL 

What part Sir Q

a) Andy Pratt is coaching with Dave Marshall and your results have improved on the back of it 

Or 

b) 6 young OEs coming of age ?

It was not a slight at all just a fact …followed with a well done 

Edited by Scrumtime - 13 Dec 2021 at 20:30
SurreyRugby View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SurreyRugby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 21:34
At this point of the season, Westcombe Park cannot be improving too much. They have lost all their games heavily against the Top 5. Their 'so called' improvement has been against the mediocre rest of the league. Throw enough money at it.........and get little or nothing!

HAVANT TONY View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 10:30
Originally posted by SurreyRugby SurreyRugby wrote:

At this point of the season, Westcombe Park cannot be improving too much. They have lost all their games heavily against the Top 5. Their 'so called' improvement has been against the mediocre rest of the league. Throw enough money at it.........and get little or nothing!

SURREY RUGBY
So everyone below 5th are mediocre are we?🤦‍♂️
Gonna ask Santa to get you a torch for Christmas  so you can see properly up your players tunnel cos it sounds like your head is stuck right up there at the moment 💩

Edited by HAVANT TONY - 14 Dec 2021 at 13:21
WESTCOMBE RANGER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 10:38

I haven't read anyone so far stating WP have greatly improved as you appear to be alluding to, but if so, we at WP are not talking ourselves up. It's halfway, so the league placings do not lie at this stage.
I have seen an improvement since week 6, and it is down to a few factors not just the tweaking of the coaching set up (reference to Scrumtime's informative post). In case you have forgotten we were one of three newly promoted teams into this (much higher standard) league. 
Not sure how others (those outside of the current elite top 5) will view your description of them as 'Mediocre'. Quite unwise in my view to provide teams with a ready made pre-match teamtalk.
Scrumtime- You seem to be well-versed with all things going on within Metropolitan Kent, and as I know you're local, why not pop in to see us sometime and meet some old friends. 
Back on Topic, I can't see past Dorking for top spot, after that it depends on fixtures between the remaining 4 of the top 5. 
Ranger

The older I get, the better I was.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 10:41
Originally posted by HAVANT TONY HAVANT TONY wrote:

SURREY RUGBY
So everyone below 5th are mediocre are we?🤦‍♂️
Gonna ask Santa to get you a torch for Christmas  so you can see properly up your players tunnel 💩

Sorry Tony I was taking far too long writing my post I missed yours. Clap
FEZ ANT PLUCKER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEZ ANT PLUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 12:56

SR... I was trying to be fair and reflective of the current state of play. I think WP have shown improved form over past 6 weeks for whatever reason. 4 wins and 2 respectable defeats. The latter 2 defeats away at Havant 20-18 and at Hertford 34-22. I recall our very close game at Havant. They are decent losing scorelines, so I do think they have improved a lot since the season started. My point of view was that they could influence the outcome of the next 5 games for the top 5 teams. Trying to be dispassionate without my rose tinted Dorking specs. 
Fezantplucker
carlos fandango View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlos fandango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 15:33
I would concur with Fez....I saw most of the WP game up at our place and they weren't that far away for a lot of the game. From what I recall they really struggled in the backs when ours cut loose. Not expecting an easy return match at all.

And frankly all the sniping just makes those doing it look like petty minded children. If my school Year 8's behaved like it I would give them what for. Time some on here grew up.
@boatyjames View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote @boatyjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 16:48
From a Wimbledon perspective I am pretty happy with how we have been playing other than losing at S&E! It’s losses like that that mean you miss out at end of season (remembers a loss at Sevenoaks in Jan 2020 😕). We have had 4 or 5 front row injuries which mean our set piece is less competitive than in September but the replacements have all stepped up. I missed the game v Dorking on Saturday but heard it was a cracker and our players did us proud. We have had a few disciplinary issues (2 red cards) which we have to stamp out.
I think that on our day we can beat anyone in this league so I have to be hopeful that we will keep in there to the end. Big game against Hertford in 8 January and I hope we have a few back for that one.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 17:20
Interestingly, the top 5 each have 2 home and 2 away games against their rivals. 
Dorking (1) are away to Hertford (2) and North Walsham (3)
Hertford (2) are away to 7Oaks (4) and Wimbledon (5)
North Walsham (3) are away to Hertford (2) and Wimbledon (5)
7 Oaks (4) are away to Dorking (1) and North Walsham (3)
Wimbledon (5) are away to Dorking (1) and 7Oaks (4).
I will leave others to read into the different scenarios that could unfold, or summise who has the (perceived) easier games. 
Ranger

SurreyRugby View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SurreyRugby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 18:16
ha ha Tony, love it......happy to play as 8 year olds.....happiest days of our lives!
Kentish Man View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentish Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 10:24
Hi Shamrose,
                    Happy New Year to you and all posters, I hope most teams are planning to play this weekend and look forward to the predictions are a long layoff.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic