National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Should the Championship continue playing? - Event Date: 20 Dec 2021 - 20 Feb 2022

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Should the Championship continue playing?
    Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 14:11
Given the current and rising Covid rates I believe this is a legitimate question. Last weekend saw 2 games cancelled and it is likely the squads who had cases-I believe Ealing and Richmond- will probably have more cases than less by this coming weekend. I cannot believe L Scots -based in London/Maidenhead- do not have any cases. Should the clubs be bringing the players into train this week and risk more infections/players having to isolate/be separate from their families over Christmas? Each Championship game requires at least two or three doctors to attend in case of injury/crowd size-these doctors could be instead attending the overstretched hospitals who are running out of qualified staff. If a player is injured on the field and requires hospital treatment are we happy to see him sit in an ambulance for hours just to get into A and E let alone add to the burden already on the NHS. Whilst the treasurer rubs his hands, should a full festive crowd in the cramped Bedford main stand be something to shout about or actually something to think twice about? Like all on this forum I love my rugby but just at the moment is there something a bit more important to consider?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 16:06
I fair question, I suspect it will be taken out of our hands.

I think it is a good thing that other rugby naturally has a two-week gap over Christmas and the New Year, but I d wonder if we will get rugby on January 8th.

If we need to find time, you could always drop the cup, or reduce it to a simple knock-out over four weeks.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 17:08
Drop the Cup.............. How dare you??????? 😂😂
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 17:43
Safety and the benefits that sport brings need to be both looked at in accounts, when making a decision.
Sport provides so many benefits to a local area - both physically and mentally.
After missing sport for so many months before, i'd like to think we can continue. But it wont be easy.
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 18:24
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Drop the Cup.............. How dare you??????? 😂😂

What Cup? Has it even been confirmed yet? 
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 19:13
The player testing protocols are incredible - some clubs are testing players daily - we should rely on clubs to follow the rules on player safety. Whether there should be spectators is a different issue - but even 4500 at Bedford on Boxing Day is still a tiny fraction of the crowd at a soccer match or Twickenham. Full credit to Pirates & Bedford for streaming games. IMO clubs should be encouraged to stream all games and given financial support if necessary. I believe the Welsh have started the process by restricting spectators at matches and that seems like the order in which things may go. Limit spectators first before considering postponing games.

Edited by corporalcarrot - 21 Dec 2021 at 08:21
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2021 at 19:58
Yes
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2021 at 22:16
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Yes
Agreed. If you look at the NFL, they are now only testing players with symptoms. I read last week that there were 160 cases in the nfl, and only 2 were symptomatic.
Sail By View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sail By Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 13:39
Some interesting comments here.
Has anyone stopped to think about the pressure this puts on the lads who are playing and how they have to live their lives?

These lads could pick it up in any shop never mind a pub having a beer.

Personally I hope that they carry on as safe as they can as not playing has massive mental issues.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 17:24
Originally posted by Sail By Sail By wrote:

Some interesting comments here.
Has anyone stopped to think about the pressure this puts on the lads who are playing and how they have to live their lives?

These lads could pick it up in any shop never mind a pub having a beer.

Personally I hope that they carry on as safe as they can as not playing has massive mental issues.

Well said
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic