National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Topic ClosedExeter Chiefs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exeter Chiefs
    Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 17:31
Exeter are changing their longstanding logo to a local Celtic chiefs brand.

"Exeter have announced the club will be changing its logo away from the current Native American-themed brand from July.

The club, which has repeatedly come in for criticism in recent years owing to their appropriation of Native American imagery, songs and attire, have revealed a new logo inspired by a different tribe: the Celtic Iron Age Dumnonii, which has history in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset.

The change comes after the club say they undertook "a full and informative review process over the past two years"."

Keeping up with modern ideology but a grim design.

Any other inappropriate teams out there?

Edited by FHLH - 27 Jan 2022 at 17:33
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 17:42
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Exeter are changing their longstanding logo to a local Celtic chiefs brand.

<p itemprop="deion" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1.25em; -sizing: border-; line-height: 1.5em; font-family: SkyTextMed, sans-serif; font-size: 17.6px;">"Exeter have announced the club will be changing its logo away from the current Native American-themed brand from July.

<p style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1.25em; -sizing: border-; line-height: 1.5em; font-family: SkyTextReg, sans-serif; font-size: 17.6px;">The club, which has repeatedly come in for criticism in recent years owing to their appropriation of Native American imagery, songs and attire, have revealed a new logo inspired by a different tribe: the Celtic Iron Age Dumnonii, which has history in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset.

<div ="ob-widget="" ob-strip-layout="" crmb_5"="" -dynamic-truncate="true" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; -sizing: border-;">
<p style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1.25em; -sizing: border-; line-height: 1.5em; font-family: SkyTextReg, sans-serif; font-size: 17.6px;">The change comes after the club say they undertook "a full and informative review process over the past two years"."

<p style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1.25em; -sizing: border-; line-height: 1.5em; font-family: SkyTextReg, sans-serif; font-size: 17.6px;">Keeping up with modern ideology but a grim design.

<p style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1.25em; -sizing: border-; line-height: 1.5em; font-family: SkyTextReg, sans-serif; font-size: 17.6px;">Any other inappropriate teams out there?

Seems to me they have just postponed the decision until someone takes exception to them using the Celtic Chief rather than the redskin version.
RAID ON
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 17:47
All Black's???? 
Shamrose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 18:03
It was a pretty obvious switch but was forced on them by a minority who probably weren’t even fans which I do object to

Safer to name yourself after an animal that bears no relationship to the Club like Bristol

No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 19:26
What a mad world we live in Censored

Edited by No 7 - 27 Jan 2022 at 19:26
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 19:48
Spot on - lost the plot big time to the Do-gooders and PC Brigade. How about "All One Colour" Best bow out now otherwise the forum police will be on our case
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 19:56
Falling to foreign PC whingers. I really thought they could hold out. I hope the fans keep wearing their headdresses and doing the tomahawk chop to show this is their club, and no corporate money-man is going to take it from them.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 20:59
Going against the grain here, but I think it's time to retire the native American 'Red Indian' stuff. Attitudes evolve & I doubt many under-40s (a camp I've long since left) have any great attachment to the old style, in the same way as they didn't run round the playground as kids sticking feathers in their hair, patting their palms against their mouths and chanting wa-wa-wa-wa...
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 21:13
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Going against the grain here, but I think it's time to retire the native American 'Red Indian' stuff. Attitudes evolve & I doubt many under-40s (a camp I've long since left) have any great attachment to the old style, in the same way as they didn't run round the playground as kids sticking feathers in their hair, patting their palms against their mouths and chanting wa-wa-wa-wa...
I’m totally with you on this issue. I’m in my sixties and, like many, spent much of my youth playing ‘Cowboys and Indians’. That doesn’t mean I think it’s ok to do that now. If there is a cultural group, wherever they may be, that find it offensive to maintain the current position, is it really too much to expect a change? Exeter Chiefs will still be Exeter Chiefs, it’s just the imagery that will change. I would hope we’re all sensitive enough and wise enough to see that. It certainly won’t stop Exeter being my ‘second-best’ team. Time to move on people.
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 21:33
I bought some cheese called 'Black Bomber' the other day. I don't suppose that name will last much longer once the 'PC' people are aware.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 21:36
Originally posted by Shamrose Shamrose wrote:

Safer to name yourself after an animal that bears no relationship to the Club like Bristol

Lest we forget.....

jimbojetset View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 22:19
So, unlike many here, I'm actually a North American. I hail from Canada and specifically Montreal.
The First Nation on the Island of Montreal is Kanien’kehá:ka, which most of you would call the Mohawk. My family also live in Ontario and my father lives in the Cowichan valley on Vancouver Island. The use of First Nation and Native American imagery for sporting teams has long been an issue in North America. 

Over time, those who've used those images and mascots have started to change. This isn't being Woke. It's about respect. The indigenous populations of North America were treated with appalling disregard over the centuries, initially by the British and French, but also later on by the church and the government where they attempted to create a good Christian/Anglo brand of 1st Nations people and sent their children to residential schools.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Indian_residential_school_system

If you feel that this is the hill you're going to die on, then you've chose a bizarre hill. 

Edited by jimbojetset - 27 Jan 2022 at 22:21
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 22:51
Wow it becomes even more strange.
carlos fandango View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 07:02
Can anyone enlighten me about the connection between Native Americans and Exeter. I always thought is was a little bizarre that they chose that in the first place.
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 08:37

It was a pretty obvious switch but was forced on them by a minority who probably weren’t even fans which I do object to

would work for Cinderford though... [ducks]
keep the faith
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 08:49
Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

Hmmmm......Cinderford Wild Boars........?

Wild boar are stocky, powerful animals covered in bristly hair that can vary from dark brown almost black in colour to gingery brown.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 08:49
Originally posted by carlos fandango carlos fandango wrote:

Can anyone enlighten me about the connection between Native Americans and Exeter. I always thought is was a little bizarre that they chose that in the first place.

I went to university in Exeter at the back end of the 1990s, before they left the County Ground. Based on what I saw while I was there, I *think* - and this is just my recollection of what became my second team at the time - that it's roughly this. 

In Devon there was a longstanding tradition at many clubs of the first team being the 'chiefs'. When they needed a name for the pro side they went with Chiefs because it was regionally specific and everyone down there would already know what it meant. Then, in the 1999 the marketing guys thought 'ooh Chiefs, there's an obvious way to run with this' - and went off down the Native American route. I *think* this is an example of branding leading the fans, as I don't remember feather headdresses or tomahawk chops being a thing at Exeter in the 90s.

Personally, I can see why they did it, but even in the 1999 it felt like skating on thin ice - if they'd always done it that *might* need more consideration but IIRC in reality all that branding's only about 20 years old and was even at the time (never mind in retrospect) a bizarre/tactless decision. I seem to remember the student newspaper kicking of about it when it was announced - though it's a while ago now so might be misremembering.
keep the faith
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 08:52
Originally posted by Steve@Mose Steve@Mose wrote:

Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

Hmmmm......Cinderford Wild Boars........?

Wild boar are stocky, powerful animals covered in bristly hair that can vary from dark brown almost black in colour to gingery brown.

I was thinking more about the question that could still start fights in Forest pubs 20 years ago - maybe still? 
keep the faith
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 09:28
Maybe we should all take the Jersey Reds route and be named after vegetables. 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 09:44
Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic