National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Under 20s 6 nations call ups

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Under 20s 6 nations call ups
    Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 21:07
I know that Ealing gets a lot of stick for big spending, but I think it is worth calling out that they are investing a lot into developing talent too. They've just announced today that five Trailfinders Rugby Academy players have been selected by Wales (1) and Scotland (4) for their U20 Six nations squads this week.

This kind of program could really build a base of young talent in the future for Ealing, but is also good for rugby in the UK in general, as these Academy players are all talent that slipped through other developmental pathways.

Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 21:47
Ealing & Rugby's problem seems more like:- how can we make Ealing Travelagents a team people want to follow & support??

Although it's commendable that Ealing's average crowd has not been too adversely affected by Covid and has only dropped from 903 in 2019/20 to 886 this season, one has to ask what benefit they bring to the game at level 2 beyond developing talent.
fatbear View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 22:18
Local talent - one for Wales and 4 for Scotland !
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 22:27
Those attendance figures are an absolute joke - how can that be an acceptable model for entry to the Premiership? There are clubs at Levels 4 and 5 getting more than that
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 07:04
However the point being raised here, which is commendable, is that 5 of the Academy have received a call up for home nation Teams - we all know that the England Players will be located with Premiership Academies due to the fix put in place by RFU / PRL so it is difficult to supply players for that squad without having access to an RFU Academy. So well done Ealing. 

Anyone here seen the film "Field of Dreams" ........ perhaps, when / if Ealing get to the Premiership people will come. I would, however, prefer it if that was come to Doncaster Smile (as I duck behind my shield wall and await the shots)
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 10:01
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

However the point being raised here, which is commendable, is that 5 of the Academy have received a call up for home nation Teams - we all know that the England Players will be located with Premiership Academies due to the fix put in place by RFU / PRL so it is difficult to supply players for that squad without having access to an RFU Academy. So well done Ealing. 

Anyone here seen the film "Field of Dreams" ........ perhaps, when / if Ealing get to the Premiership people will come. I would, however, prefer it if that was come to Doncaster Smile (as I duck behind my shield wall and await the shots)
Brilliant post good luck to both Ealing & Donny this season I hope one of them gain promotion and Pirates & Cov eventually follow them. Promotion & relegation should be automatic based on playing merit and not encumbered with other rubbish.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 10:52
Yes well done Ealing and I hope all those lads get an opportunity at 1st XV rugby with Ealing in the Premiership. I personally would love to see Doncaster in the Premiership, as I would have thought the RFU. Doncaster have great facilities and rugby needs more successful teams in the North .  . we just need a few more billionaire sugar daddies to make it happen. 
Run with it
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 11:10
Numbers have been dropping in the National leagues for many seasons, and are definitely down this season - some people are just not ready to come back.

Plymouth and Rosslyn Park might have got an average gate of just over a thousand in the 19/20 season, but I doubt they are this season. Redruth was down to about 700.

Numbers from statbunker, so as ever, to be taken with some caution.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 11:12
I think Ealing have set on a good model in the team up with Brunel and it’s a double edge sword as the players continue with their education while playing a decent standard of rugby with many playing a various clubs in Nat 1 & 2. The premiership sucks up most of the potential talent uses them for a couple of years then spits them out with nothing. With luck the Ealing academy lads will be able to use there education if they cannot make the break into full time pro while still being able to play a decent standard of rugby
So many Christians not enough Lions
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 11:51
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Numbers have been dropping in the National leagues for many seasons, and are definitely down this season - some people are just not ready to come back.

Plymouth and Rosslyn Park might have got an average gate of just over a thousand in the 19/20 season, but I doubt they are this season. Redruth was down to about 700.

Numbers from statbunker, so as ever, to be taken with some caution.

I have to agree with you, it is disappointing that many people have got out of the habit of going to their local rugby club. A few hours in the fresh air is unlikely to harm them.
RAID ON
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 15:46
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Those attendance figures are an absolute joke - how can that be an acceptable model for entry to the Premiership? There are clubs at Levels 4 and 5 getting more than that

It shouldn't matter a jot as long as they have a ground that is fit for purpose. If they can't sustain the club on the gates/sponsorship/donations they receive then they will have to suffer the consequences like everyone else. After all the existing Premiership clubs are hardly based on a sound financial footing are they?
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 16:13
Originally posted by Geoff DC Geoff DC wrote:

Ealing & Rugby's problem seems more like:- how can we make Ealing Travelagents a team people want to follow & support??

Although it's commendable that Ealing's average crowd has not been too adversely affected by Covid and has only dropped from 903 in 2019/20 to 886 this season, one has to ask what benefit they bring to the game at level 2 beyond developing talent.

What do any other club in the Championship "bring to the game at level two" ?. I believe the Ealing Trailfinders rugby set up is by far the largest Rugby Union organisation by far. This includes the professional squad, Brunel University squads male and female, The amateur Ealing Trailfinders 1871 with the largest Mini`s and Youth with senior sides, which is a growing four team club. There are also other associated organisations ( Henley academy set up )
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 18:22
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

What do any other club in the Championship "bring to the game at level two" ?. I believe the Ealing Trailfinders rugby set up is by far the largest Rugby Union organisation by far. This includes the professional squad, Brunel University squads male and female, The amateur Ealing Trailfinders 1871 with the largest Mini`s and Youth with senior sides, which is a growing four team club. There are also other associated organisations ( Henley academy set up )

These achievements are admirable and good for the game and possibly local community (does it ??),

The Question was not about these - but about what Ealing bring to Level 2/1.

No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 22:38

These achievements are admirable and good for the game and possibly local community (does it ??),

Ealing Trailfinders have supplied several Premiership players and dozens of Championship players who have either come through the the Ealing club or played for Ealing professional team.

These are the premiership players 

Current.

Piers O`Connor Bristol
Elliot Millar Mills  Wasps
Jordon Els Harlequins
Matt Cornish London Irish ( came through the Ealing Academy )
Matt Garvey ( played two seasons at Ealing and went to Bath and now at Gloucester I believe )

Played for Ealing then Premiership and back at Ealing

Will Davis 
Barney Maddison 
Luke Daniels

When Rosslyn Park come into the Championship their DOR is Kieran Power ex Ealing Trailfinders Captain and forwards coach. 

The list of ex Ealing Trailfinders is vast that play in the Championship.

There was one Youth team that had four international Players aged 16 to 18 all now around 24 yrs old. I recently spotted Owain James ( England U16 Flyhalf )on the wing for Richmond , Josh Hodson ( Wales U18`s ) played for Jersey and Connor Dolan ( Wasps and England centre U16`s ) played for Jersey.
 Dom Gorrard I lost track of . I think Ealing Trailfinders do their bit for the Championship and the Premiership but the most important thing they bring to Rugby is a level of ambition that few clubs have in Championship.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 22:52

Ealing Trailfinders have supplied several Premiership players and dozens of Championship players who have either come through the the Ealing club or played for Ealing professional team.

These are the premiership players 

Current.

Piers O`Connor Bristol
Elliot Millar Mills  Wasps
Jordon Els Harlequins
Matt Cornish London Irish ( came through the Ealing Academy )
Matt Garvey ( played two seasons at Ealing and went to Bath and now at Gloucester I believe )

Played for Ealing then Premiership and back at Ealing

Will Davis 
Barney Maddison 
Luke Daniels

When Rosslyn Park come into the Championship their DOR is Kieran Power ex Ealing Trailfinders Captain and forwards coach. 

The list of ex Ealing Trailfinders is vast that play in the Championship.

There was one Youth team that had four international Players aged 16 to 18 all now around 24 yrs old. I recently spotted Owain James ( England U16 Flyhalf )on the wing for Richmond , Josh Hodson ( Wales U18`s ) played for Jersey and Connor Dolan ( Wasps and England centre U16`s ) played for Jersey.
 Dom Gorrard I lost track of . I think Ealing Trailfinders do their bit for the Championship and the Premiership but the most important thing they bring to Rugby is a level of ambition that few clubs have in Championship.

Don't forget Jordy Reid, who Ealing pulled off the scrap heap of Australian rugby when he couldn't get a contract due to health issues, and is now going strong at Gloucester. I didn't realize quite what emotions this post would bring out, but I agree that the ambition that Ealing brings to level 2 is a real point of differentiation. I'd suggest anyone who wants to understand what Ealing is "about" to download the Championship Clubs podcast from last year with Ben Ward, who did a great job of setting out the club's stall. 
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 19:10
I am unsure why people on the Championship are arguing about who does what - you should all be united behind whichever team get promoted to the Premiership this season.

The worst thing that can happen is for the promoted team to be beaten every week, finishing bottom next season as this will reinforce the Premiership clubs views that ring-fencing should become permanent as no Championship side is good enough to be promoted.

This would be a disaster for the future of 99.9% of the clubs in this country.
RAID ON
Hoffee View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoffee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 19:34
Agree with Raider. What does any team bring to level 2? And what does that even mean?. I'm a big Pirates supporter and love watching them play, and surely that's all that matters.
I feel this question is only being asked of Ealing becuase they're currently the best side in the league. And so what? Someone has to be at the top.
Ealing clearly have ambition, the same as every other team in the championship. They might have low crowd numbers now but they're doing what they can to change that. You have to start somewhere.... 

Edited by Hoffee - 29 Jan 2022 at 19:35
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic