National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship Cup
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Forum Locked2021/22 Champ Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2021/22 Champ Cup
    Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 15:46
Brace yourselves/ do not adjust sets: details finally confirmed!

Dave the Dog View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave the Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 16:03
Mmm... 

Bedford play Nottingham - I wonder if we'll see a tie won by one point to guarantee that both teams go through to the next round.

I'm assuming there's no prize money on offer and not sure if gate receipts will be shared across the two legs, or semi final/final.

I remain unconvinced...Confused
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 16:20
The longest away trip we could possibly have drawn; marvellousConfused
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 16:52
Agreed!
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Taffy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 17:21
As table-leaders, Ealing Trailfinders receive a bye into the quarter final. It has to beg the question of the RFU, why isn't the first or last team drawn out of the hat given a bye? 

Edited by Taffy - 09 Feb 2022 at 17:22
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 17:40
Well that’s err exciting….ending in May…not playing 2nd or 16th April…

I can’t find any enthusiasm for this…

RFU next year, stuff the cup.
14 team league please, thanks.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 17:44
Agreed!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 17:49
I can hear the residents of Rotherham clapping.
Four up from National 1 would mean three up from National 2 and the return of the play-off.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 17:51
I think everyone agrees on this - 14 team leagues all round - apart from the powers that be - apparently its impossible for the Championship to transition from 12 (Well 11 actually) to 14 - For God's sake why?????? 
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 17:56
So Bedford v Nottingham, April 23rd, St George’s Day.

I checked my rota, 6-2 shift…oh well that sorts out the problem.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Donnyknightfan View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyknightfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 19:41
Drawing Pirates in a Cup Competition again…. Yay. The only good thing about that is that we get the chance to rectify our poor performance at the Mennaye in the league. My enthusiasm is probably 1 out of 100 for this. I’m more bothered about trying to finish 2nd in the league.
Donny Knights - best team in Yorkshire
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 19:45
1 - - - - That many????? 
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 22:40
The trouble with a 14 team league is the RFU money to the Championship would have to divided by 14 not 12. Yes things really are that tight.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 23:33
You are not getting enough free money, where did I leave my tiny violin?

Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 23:33
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

The trouble with a 14 team league is the RFU money to the Championship would have to divided by 14 not 12. Yes things really are that tight.

The way things are going the RFU money may well disappear within a couple of years so nothing divided by 12 or 14 ends up the same amount.

I really don't think the Championship teams should rely on RFU money.
RAID ON
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 07:45
Raider I do not disagree with you but the reality is there are several of the Championship clubs unwilling/unable to change their current model who would simply fold without RFU money. If relegation comes back in the Championship for the end of the 22/23 season and one of the financially weaker teams go down they could well do an Old Elthamians.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 09:16
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Oh please Cq (or should we call you Bill Sweeney?) enough of the 'free money' schtick already; there's clear evidence of how the Championship has helped develop players (+ coaches, physios, analysts, refs) who go on to feature at the top level of the domestic game and in many cases internationally, but yet the concept that clubs might receive some funding (massively slashed in past few years) in acknowledgment of this developmental role is still something that gets you and Raider coming onto the Champ pages most days and frothing at the mouth about the injustice of it all, how ungrateful Champ clubs are etc - so tiresome. Constantly taking pot-shots at the Champ rather than acknowledging any of its many positive features...

And before you raise the 14-team Champ again for the 139th time, I'd be in favour of it and I don't know why it's taken so long and I'd regret if we are stuck with '12 teams + cup' format for 22/23. But that doesn't justify the relentless running-down
jimbojetset View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbojetset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 09:42
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Oh please Cq (or should we call you Bill Sweeney?) enough of the 'free money' schtick already; there's clear evidence of how the Championship has helped develop players (+ coaches, physios, analysts, refs) who go on to feature at the top level of the domestic game and in many cases internationally, but yet the concept that clubs might receive some funding (massively slashed in past few years) in acknowledgment of this developmental role is still something that gets you and Raider coming onto the Champ pages most days and frothing at the mouth about the injustice of it all, how ungrateful Champ clubs are etc - so tiresome. Constantly taking pot-shots at the Champ rather than acknowledging any of its many positive features...

And before you raise the 14-team Champ again for the 139th time, I'd be in favour of it and I don't know why it's taken so long and I'd regret if we are stuck with '12 teams + cup' format for 22/23. But that doesn't justify the relentless running-down
The funding issue is really interesting. Do Championship teams deserve any more money than anyone else? I would suggest the leagues below championship receive one quarter of naff all. However, and I'm only going to speak for Sale FC here, but there are lots of clubs in Nat2 and Nat1 who can claim similar achievements but don't get any money from the RFU. 

In fact, I would go so far as to say, that some of the most exciting talents in professional rugby were playing National One rugby the last full season played (due to covid). Raffi Quirke, Paolo Odogwu, Nic Dolly, Bevan Rodd, Arron Reed to name just a few. Some, such as Jack Metcalfe and Sam Dugdale are still turning out in National One, getting experience and playing rugby every weekend rather than watching. 

18 year olds need somewhere to go before they're launched from schoolboy age grade rugby straight into fully professional ranks. It takes a unique talent to go straight from school to the premiership. Even the Curry's played six games at National 2. 

So perhaps the issue isn't that the Championship gets money, its the fact that below that level there's nothing from the RFU. 
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 10:08
This has nothing to do with the Championship Cup.
Please take it elsewhere.

Clubhouse chat seems appropriate
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 13:22
Originally posted by jimbojetset jimbojetset wrote:

So perhaps the issue isn't that the Championship gets money, its the fact that below that level there's nothing from the RFU. 

Totally agree jimbo, this issue goes beyond what the Championship gets (paltry as it may be), the question that should be posed is, why isn't this happening? Recognising that there is a level at which it would have to be limited, but I will leave that to others to discuss.

And yes, I agree this should be moved to Clubhouse Chat it is nothing to do with the Championship Cup.

Edited by castleparknight - 10 Feb 2022 at 13:23
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic