National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Promotion and Relegation - It's hotting up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 15:50
I think they start from whichever merit league the amateur side - which used to be called the Bulls  - is playing in, which was Kent Metropolitan 3.
However, I have only seen details of their mini and youth this season.
I do not know if they have any adult sides.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 16:01
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I think they start from whichever merit league the amateur side - which used to be called the Bulls  - is playing in, which was Kent Metropolitan 3.
However, I have only seen details of their mini and youth this season.
I do not know if they have any adult sides.

I think that only works if the amateur side is still playing in the league (as Haywards Heath did this season) at the end of the season (it's how London Welsh got to restart in Herts/Middlesex 1 rather than 2).

However, OEs do not appear in either Kent 3 Met or Rural (which isn't technically part of the RFU pyramid as Kent don't have 2nd teams in 1 or 2 unlike Sussex) 
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 19:52

However, I do not believe OEs will enter a side into National 2 next season.

I don't think anyone is suggesting they will - at least I hope not, they withdrew and should start at the bottom.
RAID ON
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 20:13
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

However, I do not believe OEs will enter a side into National 2 next season.

I don't think anyone is suggesting they will - at least I hope not, they withdrew and should start at the bottom.

I think that the RFU should intervene and give OEs say £1m a year for the next 8 years to help the club out.............I mean every year they give nearly 3 times as much to a small number of other clubs..
''The future isn't what it used to be''
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 07:43
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

scrumtime - only the bottom 2 will be relegated from N1 as OEs are already out.

Bottom 3. OEs will be placed at the bottom so including OEs 3 sides go down

I am still confused after reading the RFU statement again as it says only teams finishing 14th and 15th will be relegated along with OE'S, so not the bottom three as the league currently stands or am I missing something. Answers on a postcard pl easeBig smile
Cauliflower ear.
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 09:01
It's the bottom two (14th and 15th) plus OEs.  Scrumtime is being pedantic by saying OEs will be placed in 16th.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 09:33
Whichever 2 clubs it turns out to be will be pretty miffed given that they will be the only relegations across the whole pyramid! As always decisions made when clubs have only a few games left to try and decide their fate - shambles! 
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 10:14
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Whichever 2 clubs it turns out to be will be pretty miffed given that they will be the only relegations across the whole pyramid! As always decisions made when clubs have only a few games left to try and decide their fate - shambles! 

...and if we wonder why such decisions are made so late in the day the answer is obvious....The RFU have absolutely zero interest in the game below the international level and the Premiership and it is completely clear they cannot devote any meaningful management resources to it.......
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 10:43
The NCA table already excludes Old Elthamians. So that leaves two teams from the NCA table - those in 14 and 15th.
The team that finishes top will be promoted.
The teams that finish in 2nd to 13th will be joined by two promoted teams to make a league of 14.

While Tonbridge could mathematically haul themselves out of the relegation zone, it would be a Lazarus like revival. But everyone from Leeds to Chinnor must have at least one eye on the trap door.

Caldy lead, but there are five teams on their tale, and a lot of tough games to come.

However, bar legal redress, the Championship is over.
In National 2, there are really only five teams in contention in the North and four in the South.
Everyone else playing for pride.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 13:32

The NCA table already excludes Old Elthamians. So that leaves two teams from the NCA table - those in 14 and 15th.
The team that finishes top will be promoted.
The teams that finish in 2nd to 13th will be joined by two promoted teams to make a league of 14.

While Tonbridge could mathematically haul themselves out of the relegation zone, it would be a Lazarus like revival. But everyone from Leeds to Chinnor must have at least one eye on the trap door.

Caldy lead, but there are five teams on their tale, and a lot of tough games to come.

However, bar legal redress, the Championship is over.
In National 2, there are really only five teams in contention in the North and four in the South.
Everyone else playing for pride.

Can't disagree with your assessment - with 2 months of the season to go this is an indication of how pointless league rugby is without relegation.
RAID ON
Toulouse View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toulouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 18:04
I would not be surprised if the RFU cancelled all promotion and relegation this season. At present they do not seem to know theirs hazelnuts from their elbows!!!
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 11:20

My thoughts exactly.

Although with the constant changing of goalposts, I still expect either
1. Championship is suddenly 14 teams in line with National 1 and 2
2. No relegation from National 1
3. National 1 reamains at 16 clubs to keep top clubs at National 2 happy.

If due to CoVid recovery teams cannot be relegated from Premiership, why should two clubs in National 1 be the only relegated teams? Don’t they deserve’CoVid recovery’?
The older I get, the more the RFU leave me confused.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 11:46
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

A flat surface to stand on whilst leaning against the rails would be welcome LOL

At least Ampthill have rails.............a bit of rope and road spikes have worked well for Caldy 
A fence with proper posts and rails around the pitch is one of the very very few requirements for promotion to the Champ.
Compare and contrast with the cabal, sorry, Premiership.
Our City,
Our Club
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 12:23
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Although with the constant changing of goalposts, I still expect either
1. Championship is suddenly 14 teams in line with National 1 and 2
2. No relegation from National 1
3. National 1 reamains at 16 clubs to keep top clubs at National 2 happy.

If due to CoVid recovery teams cannot be relegated from Premiership, why should two clubs in National 1 be the only relegated teams? Don’t they deserve’CoVid recovery’?

I suspect that point 2 would lead to legal challenges from the two N2 champions.

If the Championship had been expanded to 14 as everyone seems to want there would have been no relegation required
RAID ON
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 12:31
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

A fence with proper posts and rails around the pitch is one of the very very few requirements for promotion to the Champ.
Compare and contrast with the cabal, sorry, Premiership.

I think it highly unlikely that Caldy will now quickly move to put in place post and rail fencing on the off chance that they could find themselves heading for the Championship next season.........I am sure they will take the same sensible option that Ealing and Doncaster did and wait to see if they actually win the league before going to such an inordinate expense.........likely to be a good few hundred quid
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 20:30
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

...and if we wonder why such decisions are made so late in the day the answer is obvious....The RFU have absolutely zero interest in the game below the international level and the Premiership and it is completely clear they cannot devote any meaningful management resources to it.......

Hear hear
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 10:29
We are now coming to the end of a season where promotion and relegation is still not decided. Yes the RFU have refused entry to the Premiership for Doncaster and Ealing which has resulted in only one up and two down, or is it. Both Clubs are appealing and are providing alternative grounds until their ground is brought up to spec. What happens if either or both win their appeal. I have read the legal comments else where which, based on the London Welsh appeal has a chance of succeeding . Will this change Promotion and relegation in Nat 1 or will the Championship play next season with 11 teams again. Leaving them with just 10 home games. I see that many of the championship clubs only have two more games left in the season. 
I cannot see how it will drag on into the summer as this will leave lower leagues with big fixture problems until the court cases are finalised. 
This should have been done at the start of the season and sorted by Xmas but this is the RFU we are talking about.
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 11:00
Originally posted by workerbee workerbee wrote:

This should have been done at the start of the season and sorted by Xmas but this is the RFU we are talking about.

When the major problems and obstacles in any sport are caused by the lack of action/inequitable decision making by the sport's own governing body the inevitable conclusion is that the sport is well and truly in serious trouble.

This is where rugby is at.
Park Ranger View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Park Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 07:38
Predictably the top 3 all took maximum points on Saturday.
At the bottom we saw another crushing defeat for Blackheath and now Leeds and Plymouth are sniffing
a lifeline.

At the top Sale don't play on 26th so it is highly likely that Park and Caldy will cash in.

This brings us nicely to 2 April when Park play Caldy in the crunch fixture - Sale will know that someone is going to drop points.

The following week Rams host Caldy.

Its getting interesting.

At the bottom Blackheath will definitely not fancy Park at home on 26th - lets see if Leeds and Plymouth can get any points from next weekend before we speculate further.

If you're not on the pitch you can't win the game
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 08:09
Rosslyn Park and Sale both have significantly easier final fixtures than Caldy. 

Rosslyn Park have Blackheath (a) /Caldy (h) /Chinnor (a)/Cambridge (h) /Juddians (a) and Plymouth (h)
Sale have Cinderford (h) /Moseley (a) /Blackheath (h) /Caldy (a) and Chinnor (h)
Caldy have Taunton (h)/Rosslyn Park (a)/Bishop Stortford (h)/Rams (a) and Sale (h)

For Rosslyn Park only Caldy (h) and Cambridge (h) look to be potentially tough fixtures but Park have home advantage in both
For Sale Cinderford and Caldy will be viewed as tricky but home advantage against Cinderford and a 'derby' against Caldy is a leveller for Sale

Rosslyn Park has the edge for sure with Sale's playing resources and 3/2 home split of easier fixtures putting them as clear second favourites

Caldy have it all to do

WOLWAOTB

Edited by Big Eddie - 14 Mar 2022 at 08:14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic