National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Blues v Coventry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 21:51
The officiating in that game was comical!
Cov kid 42 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cov kid 42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 22:06
The same officials for both sides. Bedford were very fortunate not to have a second yellow in the first half.
The Bedford commentary failed to comment & acknowledge a first away win of the season.
What a place to achieve it as well. even though our injury riddles season continues.
A big well done to Ryan &the squad.
John Butler
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 22:13
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

The officiating in that game was comical!
Anything else?
Our City,
Our Club
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 22:26
Brilliant defending by Coventry. Kept us under pressure. Some frustrating moments for the home support, but Coventry deserved the win.

Friday night, good crowd with the six nations competing for rugby fans attention. A shame Bedford has such poor local media, am sure many ‘casual’ supporters are lost through no obvious marketing of the club or supportive media.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 22:28
Every other time I’ve seen Sara Cox, I’ve been really impressed. Not tonight. Answers on a postcard as to why Coventry weren’t down to 14, and why it took nearly 10 minutes (and that’s not an exaggeration) for professional officials to decide if they needed to lose a player or not. And why Ryan Burrows had the final say. 

Also very confused as to how bedford won a penalty. Kicked to corner, started setting up a lineout, and the touch judge then decided to award a penalty 60m down the field to Coventry. 
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 23:03
I have never known Bedford to lose a game without the officials every decision being dissected and controversial .When Bedford beat Ealing Trailfinders at home recently they were highly motivated and contested every phase of the game. I believe they lack motivation at certain games but lift their game when they are perceived to be playing the top teams in the league.

I think that they have all coaching and players to compete at the top of the Championship but lack ambition and motivation.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Bigbluepip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigbluepip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 23:55
Could have and should have won that one, Cov denied a try in the first half that should have been given, but Sir didn’t see the grounding, I did.
I thought we defended well, and a superb counter attacking try in the first half, but goodness knows how many pens we were pinged for in that game. I’ve said it before, we need to learn to play Sir as well as the other team, never mind if you think they are right or wrong. 
Stupid pen to give Cov the lead, even though he’d been taken out in exactly the same way in the ruck before, or it looked that way from where I stood. Butchered some clear try scoring opportunities, bad luck or 15 cramped up when clean through, I think, and scoring looked easier than not, but it happens, and it all went wrong.

Edited by Bigbluepip - 11 Mar 2022 at 23:56
I want you all to line up in a circle and pair up in three's alphabetically by height.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 05:45
Originally posted by Bigbluepip Bigbluepip wrote:

Could have and should have won that one, Cov denied a try in the first half that should have been given, but Sir didn’t see the grounding, I did.
I thought we defended well, and a superb counter attacking try in the first half, but goodness knows how many pens we were pinged for in that game. I’ve said it before, we need to learn to play Sir as well as the other team, never mind if you think they are right or wrong. 
Stupid pen to give Cov the lead, even though he’d been taken out in exactly the same way in the ruck before, or it looked that way from where I stood. Butchered some clear try scoring opportunities, bad luck or 15 cramped up when clean through, I think, and scoring looked easier than not, but it happens, and it all went wrong.

Noticed it more during CoVid and watching games on TV and listening to online commentary from various local BBC stations. Bedford, (maybe a lot of young players?) giving refs too many opportunities to penalise us. Many cases cannot be argued against. We have to really work on discipline, it feels from games I have been to this season the Blues like to see yellow cards.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 07:58
I did not see the game so cannot comment on plays, by the sounds of it a very close tight encounter by two good teams.

Surprised to hear Sara being knocked, IMHO she is probably the best official at this level. Perhaps the line officials were not up to much.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Bedfordian View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedfordian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 08:16
Whilst two teams huffed and puffed it was a very tight game. Two very different styles, Cov content to use exclusively forward pressure and 14 man rolling mauls, hence they dominated possession. Bedford on scraps running it and looked dangerous. Bedford should have won the game in the last 20 mins but butchered two, 2 on 1’s with some horrendous passes. But man of the match was the real official of the evening Ryan Burrows, every breakdown chatting to the ref, laughing joking, making every decision around the park. He was awesome without touching the ball very much. I’ve never seen a 10 minute stoppage to decide on a rule, Cov should have been down to 14 just after halftime. Ryan was heavily involved in that. I’ve never seen so many stoppages and on occasions the water team came on for no apparent reason and had to be ushered off. They came off laughing and joking and winking to each other so an obvious ploy. The ref did nothing all night to stop it. I’ve never seen a penalty given for foul play. A team kick to the corner. Everyone set up a line out and as the hooker is throwing the ball in, everyone stops and walks back to the half way line for a penalty. Crowd bemused. All in all a tough game, not a great spectacle which is a shame for our last home game.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 08:16
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

I did not see the game so cannot comment on plays, by the sounds of it a very close tight encounter by two good teams.

Surprised to hear Sara being knocked, IMHO she is probably the best official at this level. Perhaps the line officials were not up to much.

She seemed better as a ref than doing the Radio 2 drive time show.

Oh sorry a different Sara Cox…
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 08:34
Originally posted by Bedfordian Bedfordian wrote:

Whilst two teams huffed and puffed it was a very tight game. Two very different styles, Cov content to use exclusively forward pressure and 14 man rolling mauls, hence they dominated possession. Bedford on scraps running it and looked dangerous. Bedford should have won the game in the last 20 mins but butchered two, 2 on 1’s with some horrendous passes. But man of the match was the real official of the evening Ryan Burrows, every breakdown chatting to the ref, laughing joking, making every decision around the park. He was awesome without touching the ball very much. I’ve never seen a 10 minute stoppage to decide on a rule, Cov should have been down to 14 just after halftime. Ryan was heavily involved in that. I’ve never seen so many stoppages and on occasions the water team came on for no apparent reason and had to be ushered off. They came off laughing and joking and winking to each other so an obvious ploy. The ref did nothing all night to stop it. I’ve never seen a penalty given for foul play. A team kick to the corner. Everyone set up a line out and as the hooker is throwing the ball in, everyone stops and walks back to the half way line for a penalty. Crowd bemused. All in all a tough game, not a great spectacle which is a shame for our last home game.
Great post mate it very much sums up the game I watched and enjoyed - great entertainment for the neutral viewer watching two sides with completely different strengths absolutely batter each other for the full match with the result in the balance right up to the last whistle. IMO the right team on the night won but only just, Ryan Burrows was awesome and the match officials had a rare off night. Thanks to Blues for streaming that one and huge pity Donny aren't streaming their game - I have a ticket for the match at St Peter today but the game I really want to see is at Castle Park.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedfordian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 08:58
Being booed off was not a good look 
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 09:46

Being booed off was not a good look 

Neither was the section of the crowd who slow handclapped the treatment of an injured player..

I was there. Had an excellent sausage baguette before the game. Enjoyed being at an away match with a respectable-sized crowd, took a couple of hundred photos under the good bright floodlights, and have just finished processing them this morning.

As a Coventry supporter I went away happy. Coventry had come with a game plan that worked. The only downer was the front-row injuries - which when our most experienced prop is out injured (and was one of the water boys last night,), is worrying for the remaining games.

Bigbluepip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigbluepip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 10:18
“Noticed it more during CoVid and watching games on TV and listening to online commentary from various local BBC stations. Bedford, (maybe a lot of young players?) giving refs too many opportunities to penalise us. Many cases cannot be argued against. We have to really work on discipline, it feels from games I have been to this season the Blues like to see yellow cards.”

Agreed, we’ve given far too many pens away this season, Sir can only give what they see, possibly our youthful teams over enthusiasm. 
I thoroughly enjoyed the game last night, other than the result, it was a great night out and a fantastic evening in the marquee after, still packed at 11 and going strong when I left. 
As a ref Sarah Cox is an excellent one, I think she had an off night, like we all do sometimes, with some strange choices, but we stood at the side rarely get the full picture on Sirs decisions, we need to learn from our mistakes.
I want you all to line up in a circle and pair up in three's alphabetically by height.
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedfordian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 11:00
They weren’t slow clapping the treatment of an injured player, they were slow clapping the lengthy chat the Cov skipper had with the ref at every single stoppage in play that made the game stop start, which again was a delaying tactic. Still cannot understand why Cov were allowed to keep 15 players on the pitch once they couldn’t field a front row? Does anyone have an answer to that?
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 11:39

They weren’t slow clapping the treatment of an injured player, they were slow clapping the lengthy chat the Cov skipper had with the ref at every single stoppage in play that made the game stop start, which again was a delaying tactic. Still cannot understand why Cov were allowed to keep 15 players on the pitch once they couldn’t field a front row? Does anyone have an answer to that?
The requirement to remove an additional player in the event of uncontested scrums only applies if the requirement to have uncontested scrums results from a front row player being red/yellow carded. In does no apply if the cause is player injury.
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
covchopper View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covchopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 11:43
Why should Cov go down to 14 men when both tight heads were injured?  I get it if it were a sin bin but not injury. What’s the rule?

Interesting comments about delaying the game. I think everyone does it when it suits - even Bedford shock horror. We see plenty of opposition do it at Cov when we want to play a faster more fluid game. 

Edit - I see someone has answered. 

Edited by covchopper - 12 Mar 2022 at 11:45
C'mon Cov
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 11:48
This?

Blood Injury:
• The team responsible for the uncontested 
scrums does not lose a player
• If the temporary replacement becomes 
permanent after 15 minutes, the team 
remains 15
oThe team must form a scrum with eight
he team responsible for the uncontested scrums does not 
lose a player
• If the temporary replacement becomes permanent after 12 
minutes then the team continues with 15 players
Head Injury:
o Simultaneous Blood and HIA: 17 minutes to complete both 
the off-field screen and control the bleeding – may return 
after 12 minutes, but must return on 17 minute
• The team must form a scrum with eight players

Only applicable to approved 23 Player Format competitions
Our City,
Our Club
covchopper View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covchopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 12:07
Thanks Kimbo. I assumed that would be the case as it would seem bizarre for a team to be punished for suffering 2 injuries in the same position and surprised if the crowd were suggesting we should go down to 14 where no foul play has occurred. I couldn’t go last night - sounds like I missed a cheerful bunch. To be fair the commentator on the radio sounded quite fair and balanced. Called out the Bedford prop who ( he said) clearly came in from the side and said he was surprised he wasn’t pinged when he did it the previous time so that might answer a question in a previous post. 

Good to get an away win. Always good battles with Bedford and always generates some good banter. 
C'mon Cov
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic