National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

RWC 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 12:18
Originally posted by HAVANT TONY HAVANT TONY wrote:

https://youtu.be/enHgXGWV7h4?si=QA_2HQf1L7AXp1Pp

A take on the state of English Rugby

An interesting rant.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Paul10 - 04 Sep 2023 at 12:18
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 12:39
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Originally posted by Paul10 Paul10 wrote:

Surely the payments to players is ultimately paid from the prize money at the RWC and sponsors.

Sport sponsors pay more for winners.

2019 World Rugby prize was £325,000 to the winning team

RFU paid England Women £2,500 for each pool game. Final bonus was £15,000. England Women cricket now on same pay as men.

Not quite, England women cricketers are on equivalent match fees, but not overall contracts.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 16:12
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 16:55
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Steve Borthwick makes frank admission ahead of England’s Rugby World Cup (msn.com)
Seems like an honest assessment.
Bit of a lame excuse for me. These are professional rugby players  if you can’t get them to play the way you want after 9 games in charge either they are the problem or the coaches are 

Edited by tulip - 05 Sep 2023 at 16:56
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 17:13
Originally posted by tulip tulip wrote:

Steve Borthwick makes frank admission ahead of England’s Rugby World Cup (msn.com)
Bit of a lame excuse for me. These are professional rugby players  if you can’t get them to play the way you want after 9 games in charge either they are the problem or the coaches are 

He's had longer in the role than the Fijian coach.

And has had far more time with his squad.

Edited by Paul10 - 05 Sep 2023 at 17:43
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 21:14

seems like getting his excuses in early, and adopting a 'judge me on the World Cup*' mantra...

* the 2027 World Cup, that is
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 08:30

The RFU knew exactly what they were buying when they appointed SB a coach that builds a team around a stats/system based low risk (some would say dull) game plan which isn't a million miles away from the South African model without the world class players. The offloading higher risk approach adopted by Fiji and the All Blacks and the likes of Quins & Briz was rejected. I struggle to focus the blame on SB as he is simply implementing what he was paid to do.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 09:43

The RFU knew exactly what they were buying when they appointed SB a coach that builds a team around a stats/system based low risk (some would say dull) game plan which isn't a million miles away from the South African model without the world class players. The offloading higher risk approach adopted by Fiji and the All Blacks and the likes of Quins & Briz was rejected. I struggle to focus the blame on SB as he is simply implementing what he was paid to do.

I'd agree current Borthwick system is similar in some respects to SA's 2019 model' altho' with higher error count + bigger disciplinary issues. Since then, from a pretty strong base (winning RWC) SA have evolved/expanded their game significantly while retaining their strengths, shown by their dismantling of NZ two Fridays back while England, with 3 years of Eddie followed by (just under) a year of Steve have gone backwards, steeply...

Edited by islander - 06 Sep 2023 at 09:45
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 11:27
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

I'd agree current Borthwick system is similar in some respects to SA's 2019 model' altho' with higher error count + bigger disciplinary issues. Since then, from a pretty strong base (winning RWC) SA have evolved/expanded their game significantly while retaining their strengths, shown by their dismantling of NZ two Fridays back while England, with 3 years of Eddie followed by (just under) a year of Steve have gone backwards, steeply...
I'm tempted to say Jersey won the Championship last season adopting a similar approach. I have no problem with a game plan that is based on forward & midfield power, strong defense & really quick back three the favorites this time (SA, France & Ireland) are all adopting the same approach but they have better players & much better discipline than England.
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 06:55
I don't think it's Borthwicks fault, we just don't have the quality of player 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 07:56
Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

Fully agree mate - nowt wrong with the game plan but something sadly wrong with English Rugby if the that's best squad they can select. How many of that squad would actually start for France, South Africa or Ireland? The structure of the premiership is geared up towards protecting an entitled group of clubs (franchises) it desperately needs shaking up and two teams should be automatically relegated every year.
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 11:14

The top player in the French Top 14 last year Zac Mercer is not in the squad. Came back to England to be hopefully in World Cup squad. Feel sorry for him. 
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 11:25

The top player in the French Top 14 last year Zac Mercer is not in the squad. Came back to England to be hopefully in World Cup squad. Feel sorry for him. 

He'll love Gloucester.

I wasn't overly impressed when Ospreys played Montpellier.

The Ospreys 8 also got left out of the WC squad.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 19:35
Opening bits of RWC brilliantly done by France - I don't know how they produce such quality out of an organizational mess. Howay Les Bleus.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 19:58
Howay England lets play rugby and win it.
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 20:23
Not a red card for me. Very harsh
greenpower View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 20:33
agree not a red card  its a piss take   and only a yellow for the argy 10  
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 20:54
Good to see intelligent England play after that getting 9 points from d.gs
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 20:58
Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

Good to see intelligent England play after that getting 9 points from d.gs

Take your points when you can Clap
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 21:04
Originally posted by greenpower greenpower wrote:

agree not a red card  its a piss take   and only a yellow for the argy 10  
Totally agree it was a passive tackle and the Argentinian fell onto TC (rugby incident imo) but England have played really well - they can win this howay England. The Argentinian yellow was also correct and never red card stuff but what do I know, 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
  Share Topic