National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

RWC 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 21:49
This is a classic demonstration of how to play when down to 14.
A masterclass from George Ford.
As one door closes…….another one slams in your face.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 22:08
England won and with fourteen men but it was on the back of Argentinian mistakes with little English creativity bar Ford's drop goals. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 22:15
You have completely missed the point here. With a man down for almost the whole game, creativity goes out of the window in rugby. You do whatever you have to do just to stay in touch with your opposition, let alone daring to go on to build a lead and then win...against a side ranked two places higher than you in world rankings. 

Yes Argentina were very poor, but England earnt that win with sheer grit determination across the board, coupled with a brilliant performance from Ford at 10. Whatever unfolds over the coming weeks, they should be applauded for tonight's performance.
Deva Delinquent View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 22:17
Best England performance in a long time, and down to 14 men too.

They'll need to do more than drop goal their way to the final. I hope that wasn't the big plan. 
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 22:18
England played to their situation and their speed in defence caused Argentina to make the mistakes, then when left chasing a decent margin they made more mistakes from the pressure the imposed on themselves.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 22:40
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

England won and with fourteen men but it was on the back of Argentinian mistakes with little English creativity bar Ford's drop goals. 

Perhaps with 15 England would have played those penalties differently but they were in the Argentinian half to generate the penalty pressure.

With 14 men, you take your points when you can, maximize opponent's errors.

Didn't think I'd watch it after last few outings but it was gripping seeing the scoreboard ticking over.
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 12:50
The key for me wasn't the way we played because of the man who was sent-off but the way we played because of a man who had been sent-off previously and so wasn't available. Instead of a captain providing zero leadership we zero game management we had Ford providing both.
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 13:00
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

The key for me wasn't the way we played because of the man who was sent-off but the way we played because of a man who had been sent-off previously and so wasn't available. Instead of a captain providing zero leadership we zero game management we had Ford providing both.

Ford was excellent. And yes better for not having Farrell around.

I also think the ITV trio of Wilkinson, Dallaglio and Woodward should familiarise themselves with the high tackle laws.

Intent or malice are irrelevant.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 13:03
Intent or Malice may not be relevant but the rule is bleeding ridiculous. Just reflecting on how this ridiculous application of the rule is going to kill the game - accidentally colliding with a player bang heads get sent off! WTF
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 13:25
It's amazing how many head on head contact and high tackles you see when in slow motion!

Perhaps time for World Rugby to move to below sternum tackling. Not sure SANZAR would be happy

Edited by FHLH - 10 Sep 2023 at 13:28
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 14:51
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Intent or Malice may not be relevant but the rule is bleeding ridiculous. Just reflecting on how this ridiculous application of the rule is going to kill the game - accidentally colliding with a player bang heads get sent off! WTF

Try telling that to the hundreds of former players now suffering life-long neurological problems. Or better still to their families.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 15:16
An illegal tackle with head contact is a red - but if the tackle is otherwise legal, it is just a yellow.
The duty is on the tackler to get low.

England is in danger of becoming a club with a bad disciplinary record.
I think it used to be five trips to the beak across all teams got you a sanction.
Sweeney Delenda Est
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 16:37
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

The duty is on the tackler to get low.

And that is where the laws need to move to stop the ball carrier dive down. Looking at yesterday's games, almost every pick and go was a dive downwards. 

On Curry, I agree with Clive Woodward's view that it was not even a Yellow. What is this latest fashion of jumping into the air at pace to catch the ball? Can you call a mark, for example, whilst in the air? These are tactics that cry out for head on head clashes.

Rugby is a contact sport and club owners and players greed has move it to a dangerous workplace.

tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 17:44
Basically run at speed at any opposition player and if he hasn’t got time to get into tackle position it’s at least a yellow card
Well that is unless Angus Gardner is refereeing 
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 17:53
Originally posted by tulip tulip wrote:

Basically run at speed at any opposition player and if he hasn’t got time to get into tackle position it’s at least a yellow card

.......and the Cambridge coach indirectly outlining the early onset dementia risks as you progress up the pyramid, or am I exaggerating?

""You could see the intensity of that game in comparison to National One last season, you could see some of the collisions, so it's a huge step up but this next block of fixtures is going to prepare us perfectly for the start of the league campaign in mid-October."
GreenThrough&Through View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenThrough&Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 10:11
I'm pretty sure that if Curry had bent at the hips he'd have avoided head on head contact.

It baffles me that, knowing the sanctions, coaches continue to coach an upright body position in the tackle and that player continue to do it.

It's attitudes that need to change, not the laws.

If people think that's the game going soft, believe me that a well placed shoulder to the lower ribs (a tackle well away from the head) can have equal, if not greater, impact as a chest high tackle.
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 10:42
Well said, completely agree with you. These players are elite rugby professionals, why oh why do they not 'bend at the hips' as you say? Or at the very least in Curry's case, move your head to one side on impact. Yes I can only imagine the speed and intensity a Test match is played at, but nevertheless its not good enough.

Also very true what you say re the effect of a proper tackle below the shoulders, just look at some of the hits Fiji put in against Wales, far more effective and dominant, forcing the oppo back over the gainline...and actually legal to boot.

Edited by Se7en - 12 Sep 2023 at 10:44
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 16:53
2 games suspension for Tom Curry. 
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 17:41
Originally posted by tulip tulip wrote:

2 games suspension for Tom Curry. 

What a pathetic decision when you compare it to the similar incidents which happened over the weekend and remain unpunished.

All we get on here is that the players must adhere to the laws of the game. Well how about expecting some consistency from the officials. 
All Knwoing All Seeing
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 17:50
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Try telling that to the hundreds of former players now suffering life-long neurological problems. Or better still to their families.

Should we all just pack it up and call it a day?
Sorry, but there are hundreds of thousands of former rugby players who are not suffering life-long Neurological problems. So, can we climb down from the moral high ground and remember that this was an accident which happened during a contact sport.
All Knwoing All Seeing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
  Share Topic