National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

RWC 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 09:16
The final qualification tournament - it used to be called the repechage - will be US, Kenya, Portugal and either Hong Kong or Tonga. If Tonga beat HK to take the automatic 'Asia' place, I wouldn't know who might emerge from that foursome, altho' Kenya have a significantly lower world ranking than the others...
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 09:43
17 (17)  USA            67.17
18 (16)  Tonga         67.10
19 (20)  Portugal      65.08
21 (22)  Hong Kong   61.72
33 (33)  Kenya         52.06

Sweeney Delenda Est
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 09:51
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

17 (17)  USA            67.17
18 (16)  Tonga         67.10
19 (20)  Portugal      65.08
21 (22)  Hong Kong   61.72
33 (33)  Kenya         52.06

I was going to post rankings, but don't believe they've been updated yet today (eg France are still shown as being top).

I see Tonga v HK is being played at Bokarina, on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland just N of Brisbane, at 5.30pm local time this Saturday...

Edited by islander - 18 Jul 2022 at 09:52
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 10:45
It says updated 18th July, but I am not sure why Ireland are not top. 
The IRB webpage has a story from Friday that says Ireland will move to the top if they beat the All Blacks.
Sweeney Delenda Est
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 10:53

It says updated 18th July, but I am not sure why Ireland are not top. 
The IRB webpage has a story from Friday that says Ireland will move to the top if they beat the All Blacks.

I'm guessing it's updated properly at a set time each Monday...

Are the IRB still based in Dublin? If so you'd imagine they'd be onto this! Big smile
Pistacio View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pistacio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 11:00
Based on  

25-38 Loss to Japan in November 21

25-25 draw with Georgia in Georgia March 22 I think

31-38 loss in Lisbon to a full Italy side a few weeks ago

I think Portugal have a strong chance. Depends on the French clubs releasing players and people like Morgan Parra throwing their hats in the ring after 3 off from French duty.  One caveat being that Portugal currently have a tendency to throw away leads with 20 minutes to go and sides with larger professoinal contingents have capitalized on this 

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 11:23
The matches are scheduled for the Autumn International window, so I believe clubs must release players.
Sweeney Delenda Est
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 14:02
Revised world rankings now out:

Tonga 16th
US 17
Portugal 19
HK 21
Kenya 33

(Chile 24 fyi)

islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 14:04

The matches are scheduled for the Autumn International window, so I believe clubs must release players.

yes, French clubs would be very short-sighted - and risk having the book thrown at them - if they tried to stop players playing in qualifying event for tournament in their own country 10 months later...
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 14:22
As an American, I will firstly say 'well done' to Chile. I will then go on to say that I genuinely believe Gary Gold to be one of the worst coaches in the world. He was an assistant for several quality sides, but as a head coach he:
1. Got Newcastle relegated.
2. Went to Bath and missed out on a Champions cup spot, then was 'promoted' away from any responsibility.
3. Led Sharks (superrugby, not Sale) from playoffs to second last.
4. Achieved an 11th place finish with Worcester.

His extremely poor selection policy including a love of 3rd rate MLR players has now seen the US hanging their hopes for RWC inclusion on the Repechage tournament. He is the kind of pathetic coach who spends his time complaining about pitch width instead of owning up to his own shortcomings both tactically during the game and strategically in development of the side. He's had five years in post, and the team has been in a downward spiral since 2018.
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 17:04
One Moseley player in Hong Kong team, Jack Coombes, scrum half. 
Cauliflower ear.
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 12:24
Tonga qualify for Rugby World Cup 2023

Pool B now complete - Ireland, Romania, Scotland, South Africa and Tonga.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 21:41
Well done to Tonga but I do still think it is wrong that Asia don't have an automatic qualifying spot. It worked fine until 2015 that every continent had an automatic qualifier. It was only because the Pacific Islands had a bad tournament that World Rugby had to rig it to get them back in. Hong Kong should be qualifying automatically.
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 11:59
Kenya eliminated after qualifying loss to Portugal

Kenya's hopes of reaching the 2023 Rugby World Cup were ended as the 14-man Simbas were thrashed 85-0 by Portugal in Dubai.

A second successive heavy defeat in the qualification tournament means the east Africans can no longer seal the last place at next year's finals in France.

Portugal have won both their games in Dubai with a bonus point and are set for a deciding match against the United States, the top-ranked side in the qualifier, on Friday.

The winners of the tournament will go into World Cup Pool C next year alongside Australia, Fiji, Georgia and Wales.
Pistacio View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pistacio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 12:26
the article is phrased very strangely. 

why not "Portugal play exceptionally well" ??

I see Le Roux still scoring for Birmingham and he was in a pre repecharge camp in France so perhaps he will still feature in the rwc in some capacity . 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 14:12
Last place comes down to the match on Friday - Portugal v USA at 15:30.
Looks like you should be able to stream it from the RWC site.

Sweeney Delenda Est
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 17:17

As an American, I want to see the U.S. qualify on the one hand, but on the other, the whole USA Rugby approach to qualification and coaching appointments has been so flawed that they almost need to fail so that everything is blown up and they start again. Gary Gold has to go.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 17:33
So unlike the situation in England.
Sweeney Delenda Est
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 19:34
USA 16 Portugal 16

Portugal qualify for the RWC
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 08:54
R
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

As an American, I want to see the U.S. qualify on the one hand, but on the other, the whole USA Rugby approach to qualification and coaching appointments has been so flawed that they almost need to fail so that everything is blown up and they start again. Gary Gold has to go.
Looks like you are getting a new coach Daily Mail says they are offering Eddie Jones a 8 year contract 

Edited by tulip - 22 Nov 2022 at 08:59
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
  Share Topic