National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Attendances

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attendances
    Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 20:23
At least Blues topped one table with an average of 2,658 despite our home performances being generally poor W4 L6!

Knights 2825 - W

Richmond 2735 - L

Ealing 2172 - L

Nottingham 1877 - W

Scottish 2070 - W

Jersey 4004 - W

Ampthill 3431- L

Hartpury 2073 - L

Pirates 2571 - L

Cov 2818 - L

oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 20:52
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

At least Blues topped one table with an average of 2,658 despite our home performances being generally poor W4 L6!

Knights 2825 - W

Richmond 2735 - L

Ealing 2172 - L

Nottingham 1877 - W

Scottish 2070 - W

Jersey 4004 - W

Ampthill 3431- L

Hartpury 2073 - L

Pirates 2571 - L

Cov 2818 - L

Blues, you may wish to revisit these figures. I can’t believe they represent this season’s average home gates. Ealing is probably much nearer 850, Scottish probably no more. They may more likely be highest of the season.
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 20:58
Sorry those were Blues Attendances with the W or L, sorry wasn’t clear. I have also assumed that we beat Coventry (didn’t look it up) who would usually be the next on the list.

Edited by The Blues - 16 Mar 2022 at 20:59
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 21:01
Originally posted by oneagainstthehead oneagainstthehead wrote:

Knights 2825 - W

Richmond 2735 - L

Ealing 2172 - L

Nottingham 1877 - W

Scottish 2070 - W

Jersey 4004 - W

Ampthill 3431- L

Hartpury 2073 - L

Pirates 2571 - L

Cov 2818 - L

Blues, you may wish to revisit these figures. I can’t believe they represent this season’s average home gates. Ealing is probably much nearer 850, Scottish probably no more. They may more likely be highest of the season.

1ath - these are not averages, nor are they any use for comparison.

In a typically one-eyed Bedford way, all they are is a list of home attendances achieved at Goldington Road, with no figures from other grounds for comparison.
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 21:48
I get it now - sorry, being characteristically obtuse.
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 00:03
Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

Originally posted by oneagainstthehead oneagainstthehead wrote:

Knights 2825 - W

Richmond 2735 - L

Ealing 2172 - L

Nottingham 1877 - W

Scottish 2070 - W

Jersey 4004 - W

Ampthill 3431- L

Hartpury 2073 - L

Pirates 2571 - L

Cov 2818 - L

1ath - these are not averages, nor are they any use for comparison.

In a typically one-eyed Bedford way, all they are is a list of home attendances achieved at Goldington Road, with no figures from other grounds for comparison.

And in a typical Coventry way they moan about the Blues.

There is no central place to collect the data that I am aware of, perhaps you could give us an insight with the number for Coventry after Saturday.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 07:51
So the best that English second tier Rugby can attract is under 3,000.

Be interesting how it compares to RL Championship, way below its French equivalent I suspect,

For the league is it the product?
Bad management of the competition?
Lack of interest in the sport?

Looking forward to new beginnings.
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 08:42
Opening weekend crowds in the RL Championship averaged 2326, ranging from 1200 to 3600 (according to loverugbyleague.com).
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 09:15
And funnily enough the make up of teams that are full or part time in the RL 2nd tier mirrors that of the RU championship and maybe a clue that however much championship clubs go on about wanting Central funding so we have a fully pro league it just ain't going to happen

Edited by Thatbloke - 18 Mar 2022 at 09:17
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 10:00
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

And funnily enough the make up of teams that are full or part time in the RL 2nd tier mirrors that of the RU championship and maybe a clue that however much championship clubs go on about wanting Central funding so we have a fully pro league it just ain't going to happen

It was of course the RFU who stipulated that the Championship should be fully professional.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 10:19
It was indeed but since then they have been told to consider themselves to be "the top level of the Community game." Any club in the land can be fully professional if they so choose but don't expect the games governing body to fund it especially having been put firmly in their place by the above statement. 
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 19:48
I had a couple of hours to spare today, so took a look at The Rugby Paper's results for this season, and did a quick spreadsheet of attendances for the whole Championship.

My figures for Bedford do not agree with the ones that started this thread, due to a discrepancy for the Bedford v Nottingham game. As it is an outlier, I suspect The Rugby Paper is incorrect, but it makes very little difference overall.

We have mocked Ealing Trailfinders for their poor crowd. To be fair on them they broke the 1000 average with some slightly more respectable figures late in the season, and ended up near mid-table on attendances.

Anyway, hear mare the mean home crowd figures for the season, for the whole Championship...

Bedford Blues: 2593
Coventry: 2098
Cornish Pirates:1550
Jersey Reds:1257
Ealing Trailfinders: 1006
Hartpury: 990
Richmond: 969
Doncaster Knights: 984
Nottingham: 977
Ampthill: 764
London Scottish: 730

We all know that these figures may not be particularly accurate, but it does seem pitiful that two clubs failed to get anywhere hear an average of about 1000, and that five further clubs, including the top two performing clubs only managed about 1000.
Jersey Reds 8s to a large extent a special case, with a very consistent crowd size, presumably largely of home supporters. Only four clubs have what could be called decent support, well above a thousand - a very poor figure.

I'm planning to do some further analysis looking at the positive or negative effects of away support, and the variability of support, but for now, here are the base home figures.

Edited by OldNick - 08 Apr 2022 at 19:49
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 19:56
Good old Readly Wink
Our City,
Our Club
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 21:43
Good stats! So Blues and Coventry added together is more than the bottom 5 from those numbers.

Crowds do appear down generally (other than Blues and Coventry) compared to other seasons but this was the first season without the Premiership club, which must have made a difference to the lower averages in particular.

Was the Blues v Jersey the largest gate? The Blues v Ampthill one may have been the 2nd largest?

Here was the Blues v Nottingham match report with the 1877 
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 22:12
Cov's were well down on the previous 'real' season.
Our City,
Our Club
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 22:41
CPs crowd has held up pretty well. If we had had the Boxing Day game (postponed due to Covid in the Hartpury camp) the average would have been a bit better as we always expect a big crowd on Boxing Day.

castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 08:02
We started to recover as the season wore on - Covid has a part to still play in this
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 08:33
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

We started to recover as the season wore on - Covid has a part to still play in this
Definitely.
Cov were probably down 3-400 per game, but building back as the season went on.
It'll be interesting to see what the figures are like for the post-season friendlies.
Our City,
Our Club
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 12:46
Old Nick says that Ampthill’s average attendance of 764 is pitiful. And as an Ampthill supporter I wholeheartedly agree. The attendance for the Play off final against Bishops Stortford a few years back was just under 2,000. I remember thinking that would be the norm for the Championship home games and how well the Ampthill committee had organised things. A small club reaching the dizzy heights of the second tier of English rugby would surely attract excellent crowds. Yet here we are. The spectators haven’t shown up. And I do not know why.
Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 12:59
I still feel we have to get back to a 14 team league.

In a world of distractions it’s easy to lose the habit of being at a match. I know I use the reason that
I work shifts, so I don’t invest in a season ticket in case I miss too many games. I know others in the same situation.

Of course French D2 has 16 clubs, is 30 matches a season the correct number for our level?

Locally the football club promoted a top of the table clash and got a four figure crowd, but now back to 500 mark as a promotion season concludes. But with about 20 league matches, people are creating a football attending habit.

Edited by kempstonblue - 09 Apr 2022 at 13:04
Looking forward to new beginnings.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic