National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

The RFU's latest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The RFU's latest
    Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 08:57
Yesterday the RFU released a Press Announcement about England's 'solid progress in the Six Nations.' The BBC broadcast the utter disdain for the  statement by a 'Lovely RFU' from Ugo Monye, James Barclay and Sam Warburton.

If this is how the RFU treats England supporters (and they really, really care about the £££s spent by England Supporters) it must now be obvious to everyone involved with the club game in England below the Premiership that perhaps the RFU is not being entirely transparent in its pronouncements and actions regarding the club game in England............

Now the BBC has said it perhaps the RFU may just start to show some humility

The BBC rugby pundits were scathing for the lack of respect shown by the RFU in the spin pushed out by the RFU in that Press Announcement. Perhaps now RFU apologists will wake up to the real nature of the RFU.

Edited by Big Eddie - 21 Mar 2022 at 09:17
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 14:44
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

Yesterday the RFU released a Press Announcement about England's 'solid progress in the Six Nations.' The BBC broadcast the utter disdain for the  statement by a 'Lovely RFU' from Ugo Monye, James Barclay and Sam Warburton.

If this is how the RFU treats England supporters (and they really, really care about the £££s spent by England Supporters) it must now be obvious to everyone involved with the club game in England below the Premiership that perhaps the RFU is not being entirely transparent in its pronouncements and actions regarding the club game in England............

Now the BBC has said it perhaps the RFU may just start to show some humility

The BBC rugby pundits were scathing for the lack of respect shown by the RFU in the spin pushed out by the RFU in that Press Announcement. Perhaps now RFU apologists will wake up to the real nature of the RFU.

Not sure finishing joint 3rd is the sort of progression I was expecting. Sounds like RFU are happy to keep Eddie.

That sort of statement is exactly what you get when the body issuing it know full well the end results are not acceptable
RAID ON
Jester10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jester10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 17:02
The RFU is a bankrupt, Lovely and totally unfit for purpose unit. It has no interests in anything but it's own. 

Some of this post may have been influenced by the best part of a bottle of red, but I'm on holiday, so it's allowed!
Enjoying life!
Redted View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 17:18
There are a million or so reasons why the RFU will stick with Mr.Jones.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 18:48
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

it must now be obvious to everyone involved with the club game in England below the Premiership that perhaps the RFU is not being entirely transparent in its pronouncements and actions regarding the club game in England............

French shirt numbers had names of community clubs printed on them - mentioned during game many times that FFR acknowledge the contribution of junior clubs.

Premiership are like a trawler picking up everything and discarding what they don't want. My son was disillusioned by the treatment as a 15 yo by Saints - but I suspect it's standard ......

Sad that it takes a Welshman to highlight RFU inconsistencies (polite word)

Edited by FHLH - 21 Mar 2022 at 18:49
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 21:23
England haven't progressed under Jones since the last World Cup. 

He is no closer to knowing who his best team is, what tactics to employ or have a plan B in case those tactics go wrong. We have no attacking flair in the side and no evidence that we can find it. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 06:48
As a Welshman I should be happy for the England international side to sink deeper into the other Eddie's quagmire but as a staunch supporter of club rugby in any country I am appalled at the RFU's complete disregard for our game.

When an organisation spews out propoganda that is so obviously a fiction you know something is very very wrong. When and how will the RFU be brought to account by the community clubs.

Abraham Lincoln in his Gettysburg address set out the solution

"That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom – and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth.

tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 09:59
The RFU are probably being a bit cautious as the last coaches they sacked were Stuart Lancaster Andy Farrell Mike Catt and Graham Rowntree 
And where are they now!

Edited by tulip - 22 Mar 2022 at 10:01
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 10:47
The 2015 World Cup was a disaster, and highlighted the lack of talent development within the RFU, which has not been fixed.

I know the RFU sacked Stuart, bot for the other three, did they sack them, or did Eddie have them replaced?

Sweeney Delenda Est
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 13:19
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

The 2015 World Cup was a disaster, and highlighted the lack of talent development within the RFU, which has not been fixed.

I know the RFU sacked Stuart, bot for the other three, did they sack them, or did Eddie have them replaced?

l don’t think there should ever be a lack of talent in English rugby. A lack of passion to pull on the England shirt maybe. And this may be down to the 5 figure sum that the RFU pays per International At times they just didn’t seem to want to get to breakdown as quick as the French 
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 13:28
Originally posted by tulip tulip wrote:

l don’t think there should ever be a lack of talent in English rugby. A lack of passion to pull on the England shirt maybe. And this may be down to the 5 figure sum that the RFU pays per International At times they just didn’t seem to want to get to breakdown as quick as the French 
So you think maybe we should pay a 6 figure sum?
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 14:14
Yes I’ve not put that very well CJB1. I think they get paid too much and the passion for playing for England has gone 
DGS Old Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DGS Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 15:02

Camquin, being fair and even handed apart from actually winning the world cup in 2019, what else could Jones and the English players do? Jones was hailed as a breath of fresh air during the four years leading up to the 2019 world cup.

In my view what needs fixing in the RFU was raised by Will Carling years ago "Get rid of the OLD FARTS that run the English game"
Thunderbird View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunderbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 15:20
They think they do!!! I am of the opinion most of them do as they are told to.

Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 15:53
Originally posted by DGS Old Boy DGS Old Boy wrote:

In my view what needs fixing in the RFU was raised by Will Carling years ago "Get rid of the OLD FARTS that run the English game"

The problem is the senior management of the RFU who in my view 'manage' the 67 members of the Executive Council to ensure the Senior RFU Management get their agenda through. The Executive Council which represents the Constituent Bodies appear to act as an insulating bulwark protecting the RFU management from sanctions by the Community Clubs.

Here is the RFU Constitution

...... reading that shows how toothless the Executive Council is

Edited by Big Eddie - 22 Mar 2022 at 15:55
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 11:49
At Caldy's pre match lunch prior to the effervescent game against Taunton I sat with a member of the RFU's Executive Council. He is a friend so I could talk candidly. I explained that during this year's travels in National 1 I had been struck by the absence of support for the RFU from any club I had visited.

I explained that in reality 'absence of support' was a euphemism for downright loathing and opprobrium that was voiced unbidden by most I had met. I could tell that my friend thought I was being a little overzealous in my condemnation.

As if on cue the Taunton President got to his feet and adeptly eviscerated the RFU before entertaining us with some very witty repartee,  Proper rugby man, so clearly incensed by the disregard the duplicitous RFU has for everything outside the Premiership and the international game.

I gave my friend a 'told you' glance...........if only Bill Sweeney had been there to receive the contempt personally.

Afterwards we all enjoyed a fabulous game of National 1 rugby between 2 good attacking sides. If the RFU continues its course of enriching the handful of Premiership Clubs  at the expense of its other 2,000+ clubs there may not be many more such contests

Edited by Big Eddie - 28 Mar 2022 at 11:55
Mountain Man View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 21:34
BE, agree but the quality of such games is already being watered down by the reduction in the leagues next season which can only result in lower standards.

Nat 1 is a fantastic league - it should be left as it is, as should the next levels down.
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 07:55
100 % agree Mountain Man

Edited by Big Eddie - 30 Mar 2022 at 07:55
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 12:07
Originally posted by Mountain Man Mountain Man wrote:

BE, agree but the quality of such games is already being watered down by the reduction in the leagues next season which can only result in lower standards.

Nat 1 is a fantastic league - it should be left as it is, as should the next levels down.

The reduction to 14 teams in N1 is not going to 'water down the quality' in N1.

The changes at level 4 where there will now be 42 teams instead of 30 is where the real 'watering down' in quality' will occur
RAID ON
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 12:26
Slight blip there Raider999 - 42 instead of 32
I think you might find these 3 new leagues split in half pretty quickly. Within that 42 you will have 12 or 13 clubs promoted from Level 5 plus the 6 clubs who have escaped relegation from Level 4 (total 18 or 19 clubs of the 42 who will be perceived to be "weaker" - that remains to be seen but it does mean on average there will be 6 or 7 of these clubs in each of the 3 new leagues so hypothetically 8 "established" clubs and 6 "weaker" clubs in each division
Might not work out that way but highly likely I would say. Having said that we will be one of those "weaker" clubs and we can't wait to give it a go - you might be surprised!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic