National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Topic ClosedDo we know what 22/23 looks like?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 11:02
Not sure why you're laughing JJS; the unfortunate late withdrawal of a team, such as we saw in Nat 1 last summer with OEs, is an eventuality that no league in the country, whether Prem, Champ or Rutland S-W 8, is immune from. 
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 11:25
The Championship will definitely be 12 teams next season, not any more than that. If Ealing win their appeal the top two of Nat 1 will be promoted to the Champ. If Ealing do not-as i suspect- the winners of Nat 1 will be promoted. Donny had more chance of their appeal winning so sad they did not win the league.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 20:55
It's been good to see the Championship situation getting some national coverage. The latest edition of weekly 'The Ruck' podcast from The Times covers this extensively today inc interview with Ben Ward, while there's also a match report in the Times print edition, in which it's stated:

'The [Ealing] appeal outcome is likely to be announced in late April or early May after the fresh hearing'.

So 50:50 whether the team which finishes 2nd in Nat 1 after the last round of games on 30/4 has any certainty - at that stage - about where they'll be playing next season. But if so hopefully this uncertainty won't last for long...
jimbojetset View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 21:53
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Not sure why you're laughing JJS; the unfortunate late withdrawal of a team, such as we saw in Nat 1 last summer with OEs, is an eventuality that no league in the country, whether Prem, Champ or Rutland S-W 8, is immune from. 
I wasn’t laughing at the withdrawal. I was laughing at the idea we can predict what is going to happen. However, the very late withdrawal of OE’s could have happened earlier, as they and pretty much everyone knew so I disagree that it could happen to any club. It’s far more likely to happen to a club that has zeroinfrastructure and only one source of revenue. 

Edited by jimbojetset - 04 Apr 2022 at 21:56
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 22:06
Originally posted by jimbojetset jimbojetset wrote:

Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

I wasn’t laughing at the withdrawal. I was laughing at the idea we can predict what is going to happen. However, the very late withdrawal of OE’s could have happened earlier, as they and pretty much everyone knew so I disagree that it could happen to any club. It’s far more likely to happen to a club that has zeroinfrastructure and only one source of revenue. 

I suggested that one couldn't be certain that it might not happen again in any league JJS, not to any club...
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 17:54
3 weeks left (plus a game in May for Cinderford)

Who/how many going up still a battle of six teams.
Easter Saturday will see attention in sports pages on FA Cup semi finals (men and women). But Rams (5th) v Caldy (1st game in hand) and Rosslyn Park (4th) v Cambridge (3rd) could be answers to what Championship will look like next year.

As a Bedford supporter over a number of years Rosslyn Park are a team we have played a number of times. Cambridge we have not played competitively but as a near neighbour would enjoy seeing the at Goldington Road (the away game and parking worries me).
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 20:23
It might be a salacious rumour but there is a possibility of Caldy not accepting promotion, if as looks likely they win the league?
Run with it
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 21:11
Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

It might be a salacious rumour but there is a possibility of Caldy not accepting promotion, if as looks likely they win the league?

Wow - really - where did that come from
RAID ON
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 21:55
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

A Pot Noodle washed down with a bottle of Moet.

Is The Championship a poisoned chalice? Quite a few have made the grade in recent years - Ampthill, Jersey, Richmond, Hartpury - but with PRL pulling at the RFU purse strings then one does wonder. 

I love National League rugby - usually open and free running - if Caldy want to stay then fine. If not, then that's fine also and may suit the 2nd & 3rd placed contenders (depending on Prem MSC case) - but then again what happens if no one wants promotion .....?   Shocked

Maybe RP will get promoted by default!!
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 09:43
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

A Pot Noodle washed down with a bottle of Moet.

Is The Championship a poisoned chalice? Quite a few have made the grade in recent years - Ampthill, Jersey, Richmond, Hartpury - but with PRL pulling at the RFU purse strings then one does wonder. 

I love National League rugby - usually open and free running - if Caldy want to stay then fine. If not, then that's fine also and may suit the 2nd & 3rd placed contenders (depending on Prem MSC case) - but then again what happens if no one wants promotion .....?   Shocked

Maybe RP will get promoted by default!!
You think Sale FC (currently second) would turn it down?
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 14:59
I doubt Sale FC would as they have a natural partner in the Sharks, so they could have a competitive team without breaking the bank. similar to the deal Harlequins have just done with LScottish. 
Run with it
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 16:38
I very much doubt Sale will finish second.
They are more likely to overtake Caldy, or be overtaken by Cambridge.
Sweeney Delenda Est
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 22:34
I hope if Caldy win the league they go up. I remember hearing Richmond had similar reservations when they were top of Nat One and at that time they were potentially going up into a league of 11 full time pro clubs -yet they survived. Now there are only 4 full time teams. Plus is there not a chance the Champ will be expanded to 14 after next season and so possibly no relegation? Surely the RFU will work out the Champ Cup is hopeless and instead move to a season of only meaningful league matches. 
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 09:30
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

Surely the RFU will work out the Champ Cup is hopeless and instead move to a season of only meaningful league matches. 
Don't hold your breath. This is the RFU you're talking about.
Our City,
Our Club
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 09:36

I hope if Caldy win the league they go up. I remember hearing Richmond had similar reservations when they were top of Nat One and at that time they were potentially going up into a league of 11 full time pro clubs -yet they survived. Now there are only 4 full time teams. Plus is there not a chance the Champ will be expanded to 14 after next season and so possibly no relegation? Surely the RFU will work out the Champ Cup is hopeless and instead move to a season of only meaningful league matches. 

The RFU will work out the Cup is hopeless.

Next season, about January emails to interested parties will ask opinion of the cup.

All responses will be ignored.

The league  will be reduced to 10, as further investment goes to Womens Premiership. RFU will encourage dual registrations, only to be told it is nit going to be right for u23 men to be playing in Womens teams.

Further discussion will remove the u23s but reduce teams from 15 to 13 a side, until Rugby League explain they already did that.

RFU leaders last seen having a boozy party at Boris Johnson’s house.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 09:39
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

The RFU will work out the Cup is hopeless.

Next season, about January emails to interested parties will ask opinion of the cup.

All responses will be ignored.

The league  will be reduced to 10, as further investment goes to Womens Premiership. RFU will encourage dual registrations, only to be told it is nit going to be right for u23 men to be playing in Womens teams.

Further discussion will remove the u23s but reduce teams from 15 to 13 a side, until Rugby League explain they already did that.

RFU leaders last seen having a boozy party at Boris Johnson’s house.
Jackanory.
No chance they'll work it out.
Our City,
Our Club
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 10:15
Has a date been set for the Appeal by Ealing? and has the Championship agreed that if they are successful then they will take 2 from Nat One , alternatively will they just take one and remain and 11 team league for 22/23 and move to a 12 team in 23/24. 
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 10:22
Originally posted by workerbee workerbee wrote:

Has a date been set for the Appeal by Ealing? and has the Championship agreed that if they are successful then they will take 2 from Nat One , alternatively will they just take one and remain and 11 team league for 22/23 and move to a 12 team in 23/24. 

Ealing DoR Ben Ward said this week on Champ Clubs Podcast that he understood that verdict on his club’s appeal would come around the end of April. 

I believe it’s set that if Ealing remain in the Champ, one side (Caldy or Sale FC) will be promoted to make 12. If Ealing were to succeed & go up, then 2 teams would come up from N1.

A draft structure has been circulated comprising 22 league rounds, starting 2nd w/e Sept… & another iteration of the Champ Cup (back by popular demand?!)
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 13:44
About as popular as Putin.
Our City,
Our Club
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 13:48