National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Dream Team

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dream Team
    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 12:30
With the regular season now finished, thought I would start the annual dream team thread. Here’s my attempt (HM - honourable mention):

15. Rich Lane (Bedford) HM: Billy McBryde (Doncaster)
14. David Williams (Nottingham)
13. Robbie Smith (Hartpury) HM: Max Bodilly (Ealing)
12. Mark Best (Doncaster)
11. Dean Adamson (Bedford)
10. Sam Olver (Doncaster) HM: James Williams (Hartpury)
9. Toby Venner (Hartpury) HM: Alex Dolly (Doncaster)
8. Mark Bright (Richmond) HM: Ryan Burrows (Coventry)/Rayn Smid (Ealing)
7. Simon Uzokwe (Ealing) HM: Sam Graham (Doncaster)
6. Matt Bolwell (Pirates)
5. Charlie Beckett (Ampthill) HM: Macauley Cook (Jersey)
4. Bobby De Wee (Ealing) HM: Josh Caulfield (Pirates)
3. Lewis Thiede (Ealing)
2. Eoghan Clarke (Jersey) HM: Tom Channon (Pirates)
1. Jack Andrew (Pirates)

I tried to keep a balance of teams. V tough calls at number 8 and 2nd row where the league is blessed with excellent players. Struggled to think of many outstanding 12s though. If I was picking someone for the championship player of the year award (not sure it exists anymore?), I think Simon Uzokwe is the clear choice.

From my own club, I think Adamson and Lane should be shoo-ins. Will Maisey was also definitely in with a shout before his injury in 2nd half of season. Adamson was only 1 off top try scorer despite missing the majority of 1st half of season to injury. Williams try scoring exploits despite playing for a team near the bottom of the table is also impressive.

Looking forward to hearing how wrong my selection is!

Edited by Bluesman11 - 24 Apr 2022 at 19:21
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 13:05
A decent tilt at it - due to the fact that there is so much class dotted around the league I reckon we could end up with so many variations all of which would probable create a very strong team. Pity we don't have another one of those Championship Dream Team matches against a second tier nation scheduled.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 13:18
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

A decent tilt at it - due to the fact that there is so much class dotted around the league I reckon we could end up with so many variations all of which would probable create a very strong team. Pity we don't have another one of those Championship Dream Team matches against a second tier nation scheduled.
Yes, what an easy, exciting, and obvious way to generate revenue.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 14:44
Do we know how much money they made - or how it was split?

A National 1 side could take on quite a few countries, and indeed that is what the Barbarian touring sides were. Will those restart post-covid?
Sweeney Delenda Est
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 16:04
I think the RFU took everything except for expenses of the hosting club....
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 13:24
Bedford just posted some assists stats. Rich Lane got a whopping 14 assists this season!
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 19:26
Champ clubs podcast doing a dream team at the rate of a player per day. Good bite-sized listens.
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 18:04
I was listening to the dream team blog discussing No 8s. Mentioned Mark Bright playing for Richmond 'I think they won three times'. It was seven. You wonder how much these people know.
pappashanga
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 16:59
Originally posted by Pappashanga Pappashanga wrote:

I was listening to the dream team blog discussing No 8s. Mentioned Mark Bright playing for Richmond 'I think they won three times'. It was seven. You wonder how much these people know.

Podcasts and knowledge often seem to be mutually exclusive in my opinion.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic