National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Sloping pitches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guinness John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sloping pitches
    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 20:56
Much has been made of the slope at Goldington Road. I was thinking that surely it cannot be the only such pitch. 
The Rec at Bath seems to have a deep end.
Anyone got any other observations,  maybe narrow/wide/long/short/synthetic ?
Bedford Blues Supporter of the Year 2010 - 2011
Even Older Hooker View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Even Older Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 21:21
Redruth drops down and dips at  the bottom corner (Hell Fire Corner) where the locals are very friendly !!! Played there for Worthing back in the days and visited many times 
Another one against the head
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 07:47
Dorking has a pretty big one if I recall correctly 

Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 08:26
Tunbridge Wells has one too.

Tring's is huge!
Happy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 09:55
Hertford is classified as a black Diamond run when it snows LOLLOL
oldman View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 10:15
Hinckley, six feet from one side to other.
oldman
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 23:24
Originally posted by oldman oldman wrote:

Hinckley, six feet from one side to other.
Really? I've never noticed. Mind you, it's only really an issue when it's from end to end.
Our City,
Our Club
Richmids View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richmids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 05:08
Not sure if they still play at the same ground but remember watching Tamworth at Aston Old Eds and that had a pretty bad slope
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 07:05
Bedford have great facilities, but with a bit of investment, and a bulldozer to shift earth about to flatten out the pitch could be up there with the best. If I was to do anything to Goldington Road it would be to install terracing on the opposite side to the stand - for those of us who are vertically challenged one needs to be up against the railing to see anything. The slope may be an issue for the Premiership (nowadays) but whilst Bedford doesn't hold those ambitions the improvement of spectator experience on that side is all that I think they need to do to improve the experience - oh and improve the quality of the beer (I rarely feel tempted to partake of many libations there due to the poor quality of the ale).

As for a narrow pitch I always felt that Rotherham had a narrow pitch - but perhaps that was just the size of their players that seemed to fill the pitch, not leaving much room to wriggle through.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 09:40
There was an ambitious plan a few years ago to turn the pitch round and build a stadium and pay for it with some flats. I believe it was rejected by the planners.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 11:21
Ealing used to be a massive slope 15 years ago, but they've levelled it out now.
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 11:49
As for Rotherham's narrow pitch I think that had more to do with the position of the cricket square.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 12:08
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

There was an ambitious plan a few years ago to turn the pitch round and build a stadium and pay for it with some flats. I believe it was rejected by the planners.

I saw that plan on a council planning portal, asking for land for housing.
It struck me as similar to what Leyton Orient FC have done.

Looking forward to new beginnings.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 12:18
Looking forward to new beginnings.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 15:16
That would be fantastic. If only there was the money - one day maybe......
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 15:54
...but how many have the full width (70m) and full dead ball (22m). I played at a club with those and it don't half knacker forwards but makes for great running rugby.

Edited by FHLH - 06 Apr 2022 at 15:55
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 16:40
I seem to recall Murrayfield ha the full size pitch, including dead ball areas.
But they are rare.
Sweeney Delenda Est
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 18:03
I vaguely recall in the 80's a Easter tour in the South West and playing Ilfracombe. I was on the wing and sure there was a slope or was that the alcohol kicking in after the night before. 
Cauliflower ear.
Redted View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 20:02
Ilfracombe definitely has a slope.
Others in Devon that certainly used to have slopes were Brixham and North Tawton.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 09:35
Since this thread has wandered a bit...

Coldharbour is a lovely village in Surrey with a picturesque cricket ground near the top of Leith Hill. The current ground is slightly undulating tho' mostly quite flat; however back in the day, before WW2, the history of the club explains how the ground was on a separate plot, downhill nearer the village pub. On one side of the old ground, the terrain dropped so steeply to one side of the square that the batting side had to use callers: these people stationed themselves on the boundary on that side and shouted advice to their colleagues who were batting as to whether they should keep running or stay in their ground. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic