National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Letter to the Rugby Paper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Letter to the Rugby Paper
    Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 09:24
Today I read with some dismay a letter published in The Rugby Paper with the headline "Caldy were Allowed to exploit Weakness"

The weakness that the writer ('Mr Peter Warren') was alleging was in the performance of the officials who according to Mr Warren 'allowed Caldy to play like a soccer team against Rosslyn Park' and alleging that Caldy players were arguing with the referee, standing offside, holding onto the ball after infringements, obstructing runners and got a Rosslyn Park player red carded by feigning injury'

According to Mr Warren Caldy did not play in the spirit that rugby should be played in.

I am shocked and dismayed that the Rugby Paper published this letter because if The Rugby Paper had decided to do any investigation whatsoever it would have seen that Mr Warren's letter had no basis in fact at all and was clearly just a case of Mr Warren being upset that his side lost a game of rugby and taking out his frustrations on Caldy and the Officials.

I was at the game and I didn't see any of what Mr Warrem alleges and anyone reviewing the video footage of the incident for which Benji Marfo was red carded could only conclude that the referee was completely correct in his decision. Caldy's prop Nathan Rushton who was on the ground at a ruck was illegally holding Marfo's foot ...Marfo took the law into his own hands and repeatedly knee dropped onto Nathan Rushton's head .......it was one of the clearest red cards I have ever seen. The referee rightly also sent Rushton to the bin for 10 minutes for his own illegal offence.

Here is the 7 minute video from Rosslyn Park that shows highlights of the game and the red card incident. Judge for yourselves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVy1S9BBR44  the incident is about 2 minutes into Rosslyn Park's video clip

The Rosslyn Park supporters I talked to were magnaminous in defeat ..........Mr Warren's sour grapes doesn't become rugby or Rosslyn Park but  it is inexcusable for The Rugby Paper to publish Mr Warren's letter which maligns Caldy and the officials on the day.

The match was a magnificent game of rugby played in a good spirit. 

I will be writing to The Rugby Paper

Edited by Big Eddie - 10 Apr 2022 at 09:43
''The future isn't what it used to be''
seagoon View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seagoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 10:17
Well said BE 
I dread to think how bad the referee must have been, at Chinnor, yesterday LOLLOLLOL
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 10:23
Rosslyn Park in self entitled shock …nah that cannot be true 

Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 10:36
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

Rosslyn Park in self entitled shock …nah that cannot be true 

One supporter of?
Our City,
Our Club
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 11:06
Funny that the letter should mention 'spirit of rugby' .

I think crying to a newspaper after your team has lost instead of acting with some grace and respect to the victors  is far from 'the spirit of rugby' . I suppose the 7 other defeats were all someone else's fault too 

Quite why the rugby paper felt it worthwhile to include what is is essence some post match clubhouse 'we was robbed' talk is another matter.

Edited by Count Ford - 10 Apr 2022 at 11:31
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 11:32
I should make it clear that I have no problem with Mr Warren having a different view of the game than I did and I can to an extent understand his frustration at losing what some at Rosslyn Park had billed as 'their biggest game in 20 years'. 

However, I think it is entirely wrong of The Rugby Paper to publish Mr Warren's distorted views which besmirch both Caldy and the Referee. Publishing such blinkered ill founded views in The Rugby Paper gives credence to Mr Warren's obvious view that Caldy are some how disreputable and do not deserve to be leading National 1 or by the tenor of his remarks even playing against the gentlemen of Rosslyn Park. 

For my part I do not believe Mr Warren's views are the views of most at Rosslyn Park who in my interaction with them, both before and after the game, were generous in their praise for Caldy and what this very small club has achieved.

I would hope that if Mr Warren watches the video clip he will reflect that his upset at losing what he probably viewed as the biggest of games for Rosslyn Park probably got the better of him.

Edited by Big Eddie - 10 Apr 2022 at 12:40
Deva Delinquent View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 12:03
Having differing options and expressing/debating them through this forum is one thing (I think for most of us it's the main reason we contribute), but for TRP to publish a letter from an author clearly showing signs of cognitive dissonance, it is something I'd expect to see from the gutter-press and not the main print publication for Rugby Union.

Absolutely no need for it.
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 12:22
Great way of motivating officials too.
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 12:32
I hope he’s on the blower tomorrow morning 
After a centre page spread post yesterdays result 
Try 5 was a forward pass and try 7 could well have been offside! 
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 12:42
Originally posted by Deva Delinquent Deva Delinquent wrote:

Having differing options and expressing/debating them through this forum is one thing (I think for most of us it's the main reason we contribute), but for TRP to publish a letter from an author clearly showing signs of cognitive dissonance, it is something I'd expect to see from the gutter-press and not the main print publication for Rugby Union.

Maybe someone could start a viz style rival publication. The Rugby Piper.

Made up exclusively of 'sour grape' letters from disgruntled losing  supporters. It'd certainly be an entertaining read and the sort of place such a letter should be..not in a supposedly 'serious' rugby publication 

Edited by Count Ford - 10 Apr 2022 at 12:42
Even Older Hooker View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Even Older Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 12:45
It was only a very short letter, or it was heavily edited Wink
Another one against the head
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 12:47
Originally posted by Count Ford Count Ford wrote:

Originally posted by Deva Delinquent Deva Delinquent wrote:

Maybe someone could start a viz style rival publication. The Rugby Piper.

Made up exclusively of 'sour grape' letters from disgruntled losing  supporters. It'd certainly be an entertaining read and the sort of place such a letter should be..not in a supposedly 'serious' rugby publication 

For all we know TRP has already transitioned into a parody publication, the joke's on us all for not realising sooner LOL
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 13:10
Originally posted by Even Older Hooker Even Older Hooker wrote:

Unfortunately Mr Warren's allegations published by The Rugby Paper are no less offensive for being brief. The Rugby Paper could have made it even shorter and just have paraphrased Mr Warren ........

'The Scousers from Caldy conned a weak referee and they should know their place and be confined to Merseyside and the North so they can't ruin English club rugby by spreading their mischief throughout the country'

If I was referee Adam Wookey I would be furious at the Rugby Paper. I thought he had a very decent game and he handled the Benji Marfo incident expertly and correctly as the sound track on the video clip makes completely clear. At no point in the game was I at all critical of his decsion making, he let the game flow which was why it was such a fast paced tumultuous game. In my book any game where I don't particularly notice the referee's involvement is almost always a decent performance by the official.

The Rugby Paper owe Adam Wookey an apology and the RFU should be stepping in to support their officials.

At the foot of the back page of Rosslyn Park's match day programme Rosslyn Park has the following fine words:

Rosslyn Park FC will not tolerate any form of abuse of Match Officials. Anyone indulging in such behaviour will be ejected from the ground, additionally any of our own members doing so will be liable to suspension from the club.

Rosslyn Park is a fine rugby club and no blame should be attached to them for the contents of Mr Warren's letter. That lies entirely with Mr Warren and The Rugby Paper....with the Rugby Paper being the most culpable....they should know better

Edited by Big Eddie - 11 Apr 2022 at 06:40
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 13:49

'The Scousers from Caldy conned a weak referee and they should know their place and be confined to Merseyside and the North so they can't ruin English club rugby by spreading their mischief throughout the country'

Now that’s funny but you are not far from the truth 
Oh how the RFU are hoping you stumble 

For every real rugby supporter we hope you go all the way 

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 14:19
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

Originally posted by Even Older Hooker Even Older Hooker wrote:

It also seems that geography isn't one of Mr Warren's strong points either. 
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 15:04
The rugby paper were very wrong to publish the letter.
Run with it
greenpower View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 15:40
congratulations to caldy best team won on the day   

FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 16:38
Can't find a copy in the newsagents, but as we all know you play to the officials decisions, end of.

Edited by FHLH - 10 Apr 2022 at 16:39
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 19:29
I was at the game and felt it was well handled by the officials. There was a lengthy time-out after the incident with the winger & the prop, at the end of which I feel few people would argue with the 1Red + 1Yellow outcome. Caldy perhaps a little fortunate to get away with blatant spoiling around the hour mark after a dangerous RP attack (pen given + kicked for 17-11, but no yellow card) however that was a single incident and doesn't justify what this sour loser has written...
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 20:03
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

I was at the game and felt it was well handled by the officials. There was a lengthy time-out after the incident with the winger & the prop, at the end of which I feel few people would argue with the 1Red + 1Yellow outcome. Caldy perhaps a little fortunate to get away with blatant spoiling around the hour mark after a dangerous RP attack (pen given + kicked for 17-11, but no yellow card) however that was a single incident and doesn't justify what this sour loser has written...

You cannot argue with an independent unbiased view.    
RAID ON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic