National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Austin Healey's crass and inaccurate comments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeeBumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 19:53
I complained to Telegraph - trust I got it right cos they, Healey, got us wrong 😢

Nice to see our  little club Caldy hit the headlines in the national press but, the patronising approach and the suggestion that Caldy was somehow a beneficiary of Sale Shark's largess in its use of Academy players was about as far from the reality as you can get.

All the more annoying because the great and the good of the Sale Sharks machine were present at the game supporting Sale FC which, in fielding six of Sale Sharks' Academy players on the day has exactly the sort of relationship with Sharks which Healey wrongly ascribed to Caldy.

Suggest you now provide the same space and ask Austin Healey to put right the wrong done to one of the little teams that has got to this level largely by dint of its own endeavours and adherence to traditional rugby values and club model.
Me? I'm just buzzin' around!
Even Older Hooker View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Even Older Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 21:06
I read the article this morning and was pleased to see Caldy mentioned. in such depth, with the good feeling that Nat Rugby was being highlighted in the Nat press. I admit I was not aware of the structure of the club in fine detail. I am not surprised he made a horlicks of it because all his pieces seem very thin and opiniated, to put it mildly!
All I can say from a Rugby lover down South well done Caldy. You have done the game and Nat leagues very proud
Another one against the head
upnorthcombine View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upnorthcombine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 09:59
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

I have submitted a letter of complaint to the Daily Telegraph using the link that FHLH kindly provided

this isn't a trivial matter. Austin Healey's article is akin to suggesting that Liverpool FC's fantastic season so far is actually down to the huge support provided by Chelsea because Mo Salah once played for Chelsea.............I am still incensed
I picked this up from twitter, from Austin Healey :

"I said it was an amazing achievement Caldy getting promoted and great for the NW, Sale supported them as they will continue to do but as I said it wasn’t the reason they got promoted l… lots of horrible stuff in that forum" 
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 10:42
Originally posted by upnorthcombine upnorthcombine wrote:

Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

I have submitted a letter of complaint to the Daily Telegraph using the link that FHLH kindly provided

this isn't a trivial matter. Austin Healey's article is akin to suggesting that Liverpool FC's fantastic season so far is actually down to the huge support provided by Chelsea because Mo Salah once played for Chelsea.............I am still incensed
I picked this up from twitter, from Austin Healey :

"I said it was an amazing achievement Caldy getting promoted and great for the NW, Sale supported them as they will continue to do but as I said it wasn’t the reason they got promoted l… lots of horrible stuff in that forum

Austin Healey is dissembling .........it is unfortunate that few rugby people like him, I do not have an opinion on that. I have only taken issue with his insinuation that Caldy were hugely helped by Sale Sharks.....and that Caldy is a feeder club......that is just factually incorrect and diminishes Caldy's 'huge' achievement, which was done with a squad of some 31.1 players with Caldy players being 30 and the two Sale Sharks players being 1.1 in total. That in my book is not 'huge support' from Sale Sharks. 

However, having said all that the two Sale Sharks lads, full back Elliot Gourlay (25 games) and the diminutive scrum half Nye Thomas (1.6 games) are top lads and I would be very sure be welcomed back by Caldy next season......they both fitted in to the Caldy culture really well

As far as being a feeder club is concerned I do not know if a Caldy player has ever gone to Sale Sharks and I think the last player to leave Caldy to take up a professional career in the Premiership would be Sam Dickinson who went to Northampton via Rotherham some dozen or so years ago.

Edited by Big Eddie - 30 Apr 2022 at 11:09
''The future isn't what it used to be''
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic