National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Championship 2022-2023 signings and departures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 19>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 06:36
Originally posted by dropout22 dropout22 wrote:

Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

Knights sign Maurice Nwakor, takes the current squad up to 29

Is that including Academy players? 

At present yes - and yes that feels like a small squad
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 07:00
Greg McGrath, prop, from Connacht to Jersey Reds - LINK
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 08:25
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Originally posted by All the Way All the Way wrote:

Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

https://www.ampthillrufc.com/

The '1st team squad' page on the website is password protected! I wonder what the rationale is behind that?

My guess would be that this indicates work's in progress...

I am guessing the club are using that well used marketing chestnut of leaking a little at a time to keep the interest flowing. They have announced who has re-signed, who has left, and new signings for the front row. I am guessing it will be followed very shortly by new signings for the second row, back row, and finally the three-quarters. Hence the temporary restriction to the first team squad web page. But I am only guessing.
Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 09:04

Edited by KnightsBoy - 17 Aug 2022 at 09:06
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 12:12
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

I would imagine it's a tactical decision by the DoR, with what budget is available. Quite a young squad generally means less injuries. 

If you sign players in August as oppoosed to June that's 2 months salary you are saving...

I'd imagine they'll sign 4-5 before season starts then

corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 13:14

Greg McGrath, prop, from Connacht to Jersey Reds - LINK
Sounds a good signing 125KG & plays both tight & loose head - although probably not at the same time.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 15:30

Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

I would imagine it's a tactical decision by the DoR, with what budget is available. Quite a young squad generally means less injuries. 

If you sign players in August as oppoosed to June that's 2 months salary you are saving...

I'd imagine they'll sign 4-5 before season starts then

That is what I am thinking / hoping
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 17:10
Originally posted by Cherub Cherub wrote:

The '1st team squad' page on the website is password protected! I wonder what the rationale is behind that?

I am guessing the club are using that well used marketing chestnut of leaking a little at a time to keep the interest flowing. They have announced who has re-signed, who has left, and new signings for the front row. I am guessing it will be followed very shortly by new signings for the second row, back row, and finally the three-quarters. Hence the temporary restriction to the first team squad web page. But I am only guessing.

And there you go. Ampthill have announced three new back row signings for the new season on their website.
Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
hophog View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hophog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 19:13
Morgan Strong looks like a handy signing - according to WalesOnline he turned down a new contract offer at the Ospreys. Seems to be held in high regard by Ospreys fans too (judging by Twitter, at least). 
All the Way View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote All the Way Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 20:22
Don't know how many of these signings have already been covered in this thread.....but:
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 21:01
ITYM  
https//twitter.com/BUCSSuperRugby/status/1514298621948178432?s=20&t=Ok4Ph4g9L67klg9wLYu10Q

Edited by OldNick - 17 Aug 2022 at 21:02
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 14:03

And there you go. Ampthill have announced three new back row signings for the new season on their website.

So what happened to the second row signings then?
Abbotsman View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 16:29
Off to Hartpury on Saturday for a pre-season fixture with Ospreys as per last year. It's been strangely quiet on Pury news this summer. With a number of players moving on at the end of last season, many to Championship sides I know of only 2 joining, a prop from Pirates & an U18 Winger from the USA. Absolutely nothing so far on the club website other than the fixtures for the new season. We always have a high turn over of players, that's normal for Hartpury but i don't quite know what to expect this season. 
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 17:04
Originally posted by Abbotsman Abbotsman wrote:

Off to Hartpury on Saturday for a pre-season fixture with Ospreys as per last year. It's been strangely quiet on Pury news this summer. With a number of players moving on at the end of last season, many to Championship sides I know of only 2 joining, a prop from Pirates & an U18 Winger from the USA. Absolutely nothing so far on the club website other than the fixtures for the new season. We always have a high turn over of players, that's normal for Hartpury but i don't quite know what to expect this season. 

Hartpury very sadly lost their press & PR man Andrew Beacham earlier in the summer, he died towards end of June. He was a lovely man and really good company, as well as being good at his job. I imagine this is a large factor in the lack of info...
Abbotsman View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 18:31
Hartpury very sadly lost their press & PR man Andrew Beacham earlier in the summer, he died towards end of June. He was a lovely man and really good company, as well as being good at his job. I imagine this is a large factor in the lack of info...[/QUOTE]

Thanks Islander, as you said very sad indeed.
AnIdiotAbroad View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AnIdiotAbroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 19:02
Jack Davies (2nd/back row) joined from Doncaster Knights. 

Transparency avoids ambiguity
AmpthillRUFC View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AmpthillRUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 19:12
Originally posted by Abbotsman Abbotsman wrote:

Hartpury very sadly lost their press & PR man Andrew Beacham earlier in the summer, he died towards end of June. He was a lovely man and really good company, as well as being good at his job. I imagine this is a large factor in the lack of info...

Thanks Islander, as you said very sad indeed.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, very sad, a lovely guy and always very helpful. 
Abbotsman View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 19:17
Originally posted by AnIdiotAbroad AnIdiotAbroad wrote:

Jack Davies (2nd/back row) joined from Doncaster Knights. 

Thanks AIB.
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 20:56

Marine Jarrard Signs for The Pirates

Following in the footsteps of fellow Royal Marine Josh Williams, Chichester-born backrower Jarrard Hayler has signed a one-year contract with the Cornish Pirates.

A commissioned officer, who is presently on a sports draft arrangement, 27-year-old Jarrard has had the honour of captaining the Royal Navy in an Army versus Navy game at Twickenham, whilst other teams he has played for are Western Province Rugby Institute (South Africa), Plymouth Albion, Barnstaple, Taunton, Dundee, Saracens (Anglo-Welsh and 7s), Royal Marines, and the UK Armed Forces.

Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 21:11
Hartpury having lost last seasons 10 to Bristol have been loaned Jac Lloyd from Bristol for the season, he is a very talented 10, very quick with a good boot . . expect great things from him, he is Ioan Lloyds younger brother.
Run with it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 19>
  Share Topic