National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Welcome to CALDY Rugby Football Club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welcome to CALDY Rugby Football Club
    Posted: 18 May 2022 at 20:27
Well done to caldy ( formed in 1924 ) a brilliant achievment . I am looking forward to visiting the area on the away game. Ealing Trailfinders struggled to get a foot hold in our first season in the Championship and were relegated. There was an open meeting at the club and the supporters were given the chance to ask questions of the coaching staff that included Ben Ward ( backs coach ) and Mike Cudmore , Head coach DOR. It was stated that we needed three new players in three key positions. These were hooker, Number 8 and a scrum half.
I can remember they recruited an Rumanian international hooker and a Number 8 from Ulster ( ex Ealing minis and youth player, Shaun O' Connell. They both made a huge impact and nearly turned our first season around but unfortunately other fixtures did not go our way. 

Best of luck to Caldy but it is obviously a big step up but challenging.

Edited by No 7 - 18 May 2022 at 20:38
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
SKalpy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKalpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 21:13
No. 7, It is not a big step, it is massive.

Having made that step up way back in 2004 (and staying there until 2009) all I can say is only the following.  Caldy will compete, they will enjoy themselves, the staff, players and fans who follow them will make lifelong friends and have wonderful memories that will last forever. I wish them all the best.
Sedge Tiger View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Sedgley Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedge Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 21:53
Hear hear SK!!! 
Give him one with handles on
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 08:16
I am very much looking forward to making acquaintances with Caldy Supporters and going to visit their ground - praying for a favourable date when Mrs CPK hasn't "arranged" an alternative fixture for me to attend (fixture = something other than rugby when it comes to her indoors).
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 09:00
Your bar manager will need to stock up on Moët when Big Eddie and the Wirral mafia come visiting Clown
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 11:40
I'm really annoyed that Caldy got promotion! With Esher returning to National 1 I was looking forward to my visit to the Wirral and another pot noodle lunch while sliding down the bank. What can replace that experience?LOL
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 17:23
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

I'm really annoyed that Caldy got promotion! With Esher returning to National 1 I was looking forward to my visit to the Wirral and another pot noodle lunch while sliding down the bank. What can replace that experience?LOL
A visit to the dentist?
Our City,
Our Club
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 23:23
What are the gate's like at Caldy?
SKalpy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKalpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 23:42
Wooden
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 07:28
There is no gates. Long tree lined drive. Think Ampthill on a hill
So many Christians not enough Lions
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 09:38
The Rugby Paper seems to quote attendances of between 700 and 800 recently, which compares favourably with some at a higher level, and no doubt will grow somewhat next season.
Mind you, this is the Rugby Paper which, in last Sunday's results, had Cov beating Doncaster at home (they lost) with Dawidiuk, Bulumakau, Tuitupou, Knox, and Maisey scoring the points.
We haven't seen any of those names at the BPA for some years (barring Will Maisey's uncle of course).
Bit of a rag really.
Our City,
Our Club
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 11:06
WARNING: Doncaster has been awarded City Status as a part of the upcoming Jubilee - this could potentially lead to increases in the cost of a pint to emulate London prices. But the Moet swilling Caldy supporters will no doubt manage this potential price increase I am sure Wink
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 11:32
Interesting, i'd imagine on average potentially 1100-1400 then could be seen. Will make for a good atmosphere.
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 11:57
Unfortunately not so much as all of Caldy viewing space is outside as I said like Ampthill so doesn’t tend to generate as much noise as a stand
So many Christians not enough Lions
pen 15 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pen 15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 14:36
decent single malt and or Bitter is more to the taste up here at Caldy .We only have Champers on exec club coach trips where we work on at least a bottle per person each way ,and to be honest we prefer Cristal.
is it stours year yet
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 09:17
Get ready for an onslaught of criticism on every aspect of your club. Here is a list in no particular order.
Your pitch. .....size , flags, post ,any water logging muddy areas ! God forbid a muddy pitch ( whatever you do not install a 3 G artificial pitch , dead ball area, distance of barriers from pitch, location of medical attendance and more.
Are you a 'real club ' are you a ' proper club' whatever that means I have read on here several differing explanations on what a ' proper' club is. 
Beer.....to some one of THE most important ingredients of a Saturday out . Availability , how long it takes to get a beer, the temperature , the taste,  texture , aroma.
Parking , distance to clubhouse ..  beer . TOILETS, very very important ,size availability queuing time ,smell ! 
Players , coaching backroom staff .

Players.  Are they homegrown , did you entice them away, do they sit on the bench. Have taken them on only to deny another team !.

Attendance, seating arrangements , are there covered , cushioned heated seats.
Programme , content ,accuracy , print size.
Your gates . I believe your gates a zinc coated , galvanised 5 v or six bar and are usually left open. I have this from a reliable source. 

Be prepared this barrage . Again welcome it is a fantastic league and can produce incredible Rugby
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 09:52
Welcome No 7 To Caldy based on the Wirral with 16 Acres of land leased from the National Trust since it was donated to them in 1924 by our benefactor Sir Alfred Paton. 
We have 3 full sized pitches and 14 Mini pitches all marked out weekly by our volunteer Ground team affectionately Known as the "Last of the Summer wine". 
The Ground is open and near to the River Dee so the winds can affect the game. 50mph is not unusual. 
With all the land parking is not a problem,, we coped well with the 3000 which attended the Final Game against Sale. We have the additional benefit of the School grounds being across the road with a further 3 pitches , an all weather hockey pitch and cricket pitch plus parking and changing rooms. 
There is parking at the top of the drive for approximately 50 cars. 
We do not have floodlights, other than training lights as we would need planning permission from National Trust and we are in a green belt area. 
There is no problem with the pitch and the barriers as they are 5 metres from the edge , although one side  needs to be temporary to enable cricket to be played. The pitch was levelled in 1968 in front of the clubhouse and is based on Sandstone. However in very wet winters can get very muddy in parts!!
We do not have a permanent covered stand but a bank the length of the pitch which has three standing levels. We are hoping to increase the number of seats by 50% this year from 80 to 120!!
We do have a small stand on the top of the bank which we refer to it as the "John Inverdale Stand" which sits 3 and doubles up as the BBQ.  
The Club house was built in 1928, whilst it has been extended , it is still a wooden structure, maintained by the members, although we have submitted plans to bring it into the 21st century. 
The bar, is small and we plan to have more bars outside to cater for the enormous support from travelling fans. 
We are proud of our hospitality, whilst our lounge is small and can cater for only 65 we are hoping to provide additional facilities in the season , weather permitting !! 
We are looking forward to meeting new friends in the coming season, I am sure you will enjoy our  warm Hospitality , both inside and out.
This is a new experience for us, we see this season as a journey not a destination we will enjoy it, our squad known as "the Ravers"  (it is all in the name!) will do all they can in a league of "Professional" clubs to show what can be done with pride and commitment which certainly surprised Nat 1. 

Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 14:19
Welcome Workerbee, I'm sure that Caldy will be a very popular and welcome addition to the Championship...going on from No.7's post...

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU HAVEN'T GOT FLOODLIGHTS!!!!

Tackle Low!!!!!
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 15:30
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Get ready for an onslaught of criticism on every aspect of your club. Here is a list in no particular order.
Your pitch. .....size , flags, post ,any water logging muddy areas ! God forbid a muddy pitch ( whatever you do not install a 3 G artificial pitch , dead ball area, distance of barriers from pitch, location of medical attendance and more.
Are you a 'real club ' are you a ' proper club' whatever that means I have read on here several differing explanations on what a ' proper' club is. 
Beer.....to some one of THE most important ingredients of a Saturday out . Availability , how long it takes to get a beer, the temperature , the taste,  texture , aroma.
Parking , distance to clubhouse ..  beer . TOILETS, very very important ,size availability queuing time ,smell ! 
Players , coaching backroom staff .

Players.  Are they homegrown , did you entice them away, do they sit on the bench. Have taken them on only to deny another team !.

Attendance, seating arrangements , are there covered , cushioned heated seats.
Programme , content ,accuracy , print size.
Your gates . I believe your gates a zinc coated , galvanised 5 v or six bar and are usually left open. I have this from a reliable source. 

Be prepared this barrage . Again welcome it is a fantastic league and can produce incredible Rugby

Should Caldy also prepare for a massive dose of paranoia? 
Puli. View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puli. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 15:43
workerbee …… You forgot to mention the one asset that Caldy has that most other clubs would love to have………. Big Eddie.👍👍
If Rugby is the game they play in Heaven ..... Why does it hurt like Hell when you retire?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic