National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship Cup
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Forum LockedBeer supplies at Ealing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 16:03
You miss my point we all have low low support numbers in the Champioship
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 20:56
Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

The stand at Cov holds over 2,800. (originally 3000 before a few rearrangements. The ground currently holds 4500.
The Coventry crowd is normally between 2000 and 2500, ignoring special occasions.

A supporter of a club which makes up suspiciously rounded figures of 600, finally claims an average of 1000 for the season, and which for a cup final, with a computerised QR code entry system can only estimate a crowd of 1400, and admits to being outnumbered by the away visitors is really in no position to speak for all the clubs in the division.

You have an unsupported club, dependent totally on the funding of one man's vanity project. How many more years will he have to fund before promotion is granted? 

On the point of estimated crowd sizes, I would suspect that it is due to the generous policy of not charging entry for children. I will agree that a more accurate tally should be possible.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 23:33
Free entry or not, they surely must be counted? I would think there are legalities that cover such things?
Our City,
Our Club
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 02:22
The support for Championship Rugby is low and on the decline. Crowds of 3,000 will not sustain a pro squad. 
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 06:25
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

The support for Championship Rugby is low and on the decline. Crowds of 3,000 will not sustain a pro squad. 

A competition that has bad marketing 
Run by a sports body that wishes it dead

Yet locally, other sports have had a season of major publicity, dominating local sports news (a weekly free sheet) despite playing 8th tier of their sport. Whilst two, second tier rugby clubs are in the same catchment area.

The diagnosis for patient Championship is with help, it could achieve more 3,000+ attendances.
However just like a health system, it needs investment, leadership with passion to see it survive. 

Sadly the sports body concerned is more than happy to remove the care package, life support.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 06:42
However even as a teetotaller I was shocked early in the season to see the queues at one ground when a bar suffered from lack of gas. People were doing emergency runs to a local shop for 12 packs of Cider and Beer.

Thankfully they still had bottled water, so I survived. But it appeared desperate for those wanting more flavoursome liquids.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 08:18
As to the original question of this post, I don't know if they ran out.

On arrival I went to the main bar, passing the shipping container bar, which at that time did not appear to be open. The only bitter on offer was Greene King IPA - I cannot imagine why any bar still serves that dreadful stuff now it is not part of a mandatory sponsorship deal to do so.
The poor chap serving it pulled through line cleaning water for ages  until one of his colleagues told him the beer was connected on the single unlabelled tap next to the labeled one he was using.

There was no food served in the bar, but outside, beyond the servery counter I got an excellent chicken wrap for £7.50. A colleague got something from the other van for £9.00..

I forgot to check whether the container bar was open as I headed around to my position for the match by the player benches.

After the match I was photographing on the pitch while presentations were made, and when I finally left the pitch it looked as if the container bar was shutting up shop - so zi would  guess it had been open.

I left without going back into the main bar - I had several hundred photos to sort out.

I've not heard andy reports that they did sell out - but given the choice of bitter I feel it would be unlikely!
As said, the externally-sourced wrap was excellent.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 08:55
I am not sure how marked the decline in attendance is. In the last season of National 1 the average attendance was 1,744 and in the last season before covid it was 1,614 numbers from Statbunkler so to be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

Could it get to 3,000? The attendance in the Soccer Championship is roughly a third of that in the Premiership, so not unreasonable.

But only with a huge marketing effort.  And that is only going to come from the 12 clubs pulling together. The impression I get is currently the 12 clubs have about 24 opinions  And the likelihood of a concerted joint effort is infinitesimal - especially if it means spending money.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 09:42
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I am not sure how marked the decline in attendance is. In the last season of National 1 the average attendance was 1,744 and in the last season before covid it was 1,614 numbers from Statbunkler so to be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

Could it get to 3,000? The attendance in the Soccer Championship is roughly a third of that in the Premiership, so not unreasonable.

But only with a huge marketing effort.  And that is only going to come from the 12 clubs pulling together. The impression I get is currently the 12 clubs have about 24 opinions  And the likelihood of a concerted joint effort is infinitesimal - especially if it means spending money.

It's 40 percent for 20/21, (16000 vs 40000 rounded) but irrelevant to rugby as AF is the national game. Apples, pears etc.
To add to the irrelevance, it'll be closer next season with Sunderland added (30k+) and Bournemouth (sub 10k) and Posh (10k)  taken away (Prem attendances will likely lower slightly, and Champ should increase a bit).
As you were. EmbarrassedWink
Our City,
Our Club
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 10:10
Actually it is relevant, as in Previous seasons the Rugby Championship figures has in the past been boosted by the presence of a relegated Premiership team, with home gates of 10,000 and 2,000 away fans. Though perhaps only Northampton and Quins back brought quite that many.

The key thing is build it, and they will come is a Hollywood myth. You need to go and tell it on the mountain and keep telling it until you are bored with the message. Only then will others have started to hear you.
Sweeney Delenda Est
373 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 11:33
Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

how do the academy players get game time I hear you say? Well I’ve long said that the RFU Academies should be taken away from the Premiership clubs and instead integrated into the University system with BUCS being the elite competition for under 21’s. 

Thoughts?

How many 13 year olds go to university, out of interest?
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 13:20
Yes, to get back to the original question, the beer supplies didn't run out. The queues were very long at halftime, but when I nipped in for a drink at about 60 minutes, I was in and out within a minute or two. I do think that they should have opened the mobile bar behind the East stands (big metal ones) - I reckon the club missed out a pretty good chunk of revenue.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 17:49
Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

The stand at Cov holds over 2,800. (originally 3000 before a few rearrangements. The ground currently holds 4500.
The Coventry crowd is normally between 2000 and 2500, ignoring special occasions.

A supporter of a club which makes up suspiciously rounded figures of 600, finally claims an average of 1000 for the season, and which for a cup final, with a computerised QR code entry system can only estimate a crowd of 1400, and admits to being outnumbered by the away visitors is really in no position to speak for all the clubs in the division.

You have an unsupported club, dependent totally on the funding of one man's vanity project. How many more years will he have to fund before promotion is granted? 

Nick at his finest ....rude, inaccurate and no understanding of a man ( Sir Mike Gooley ) who has contributed more to rugby than any other individual I can name. 

To say my club is unsupported is insulting to the faithful , dedicated  supporters that follow their club home and away.

The sources of revenue are way above any other club in the Championship. There is not a blade of grass or 3G, all floodlit  that is not used day and night .
 I have always travelled to the away games at Coventry and always enjoyed my visit win or lose. I have watched from all sides but have sat in the main stand on the last four occasions and always been able to sit close to half way line a few rows back. My only gripe is the booing home  crowd whenever a decision does not go their way. It is a particular dislike of mine and really belongs at a football match.

Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 18:43
Originally posted by 373 373 wrote:

Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

how do the academy players get game time I hear you say? Well I’ve long said that the RFU Academies should be taken away from the Premiership clubs and instead integrated into the University system with BUCS being the elite competition for under 21’s. 

Thoughts?

How many 13 year olds go to university, out of interest?

My guess is probably 1 or 2 a year but I’m guessing you are being facetious. 
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 08:56
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

no understanding of a man ( Sir Mike Gooley ) who has contributed more to rugby than any other individual I can name. 

Probably for another thread but that sounds like a challenge... are we talking rugby in general, or one club/local area? And financially only, financially and other things, or just other things? 

Dickie Evans would probably be up there, Keith Barwell (on a slightly larger scale) maybe, sure there are others. Tony Rowe - he's probably done for Devon rugby what Mike Gooley is still trying to do for Ealing.

On the other hand, I'm sure there's a kit man somewhere who has worked hard behind the scenes for decades and doesn't have the money to have bought a club, so seems a bit unfair to rule them out amongst all the millionaires who chose rugby as the beneficiary of their largesse rather than steam engines or Rolls-Royces. 

In fact, I'd be tempted to discount the moneymen from any competition on who has contributed the most to rugby.

keep the faith
RobC View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 13:01
For what it's worth I really enjoyed my first visit to ealing - expecting a pitch in the middle of a field but finding a well-maintained ground with seating on three sides.  

The bar was well-manned/womanned and efficiently run, with the staff all sporting cup final t-shirts specially made for the day (unfortunately not available for general purchase). I resorted to drinking Guinness in the absence of a drinkable ale/bitter, which was a bit disappointing.

As for support - the ealing crowd in our corner, whilst obviously outnumbered, gave it their all in shouting for their team and clearly had a passion for the club.

All in all a nice little set up but I was left wondering why they would want to give it up for a crack in the premiership.  They would surely have to move and attract a totally new set of supporters - where from is the question...
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 13:41
Cov - The only club where I have been told to F*&% Off for cheering for my club.

OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 14:00
Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

Cov - The only club where I have been told to F*&% Off for cheering for my club.

Unacceptable, but by no means the only place where it happens.
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 14:01
Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

... all the millionaires who chose rugby as the beneficiary of their largesse rather than steam engines or Rolls-Royces. 

Alan Pegler as a rugby club owner would have been an interesting proposition ... how many times did he go bankrupt thanks to the Flying Scotsman?
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 14:10
Originally posted by CJB1 CJB1 wrote:

Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

... all the millionaires who chose rugby as the beneficiary of their largesse rather than steam engines or Rolls-Royces. 

Alan Pegler as a rugby club owner would have been an interesting proposition ... how many times did he go bankrupt thanks to the Flying Scotsman?

I think even he had stopped having fun by the end. 
keep the faith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic