National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship Cup
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Forum LockedBeer supplies at Ealing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beer supplies at Ealing?
    Posted: 20 May 2022 at 09:49
I don't know how many Coventry supporters will be at Ealing tomorrow, but I hope Ealing have got some extra beer in.

Confirmation has come from Coventry Rugby Supporters Club that they are bringing four coachloads of supporters, and our friends at Earlsdon RFC are bringing a coachload too.

That's on top of the supporters who'll be coming by car , and the handful using the train.
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 10:44
I think Cov supporters will outnumber the home crowd!

gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 12:33
Fingers crossed that they open the outdoors shipping container bar (it's nicer than it sounds). As a reminder, there is a bar in the clubhouse, a shipping container bar, and another bar in the upper tier of the grandstand. Usually copes well enough.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 13:01
Originally posted by Stalwart Stalwart wrote:

I think Cov supporters will outnumber the home crowd!

We'd probably outnumber them by about 4000 to one had it been at the BPA Wink
Our City,
Our Club
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 13:11
They could always bring some of their leftover CAMRA beer festival beer down too. ;)

islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 16:43
I hope Ealing have got some extra beer in too - the PR consequences of hosting a final & running out would be considerable...
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 23:12
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

I hope Ealing have got some extra beer in too - the PR consequences of hosting a final & running out would be considerable...
Aye, it'd almost be as bad as the RFU being unable to run a p-up in a brewery.
Our City,
Our Club
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 01:48
Almost as bad as striving for a 150 years to get to the very top , winning Championship and failing to have the required number of seats .
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 09:16
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Almost as bad as striving for a 150 years to get to the very top , winning Championship and failing to have the required number of seats .
Ah, but you've probably got twice as many pitches as the RFU. Wink
Our City,
Our Club
Peter_B View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 01:49
It’s the lack of supporters that is Ealing’s problem
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 08:06
Originally posted by Peter_B Peter_B wrote:

The RFU don't seem to agree. Take yesterday's game: an 'estimated' (why?) crowd of 1400, with an alleged majority of travelling support. Had this game been allowed to be played at the BPA, and the Cov club made many representations to the RFU to have it moved, there would almost certainly have been a capacity attendance, and that would have done a huge amount to raise the utterly lacklustre profile of this unloved competition. 
But no, the body that rules our 'community' (sic) game insisted it should be played in SW London at the ground of a club with possibly some of the least-committed support in the division, in competition with games at Twickenham, Wembley, and elsewhere. Again, why?
Fit for purpose? I don't think so.
Our City,
Our Club
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 08:32
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

The RFU don't seem to agree. Take yesterday's game: an 'estimated' (why?) crowd of 1400, with an alleged majority of travelling support. Had this game been allowed to be played at the BPA, and the Cov club made many representations to the RFU to have it moved, there would almost certainly have been a capacity attendance, and that would have done a huge amount to raise the utterly lacklustre profile of this unloved competition. 
But no, the body that rules our 'community' (sic) game insisted it should be played in SW London at the ground of a club with possibly some of the least-committed support in the division, in competition with games at Twickenham, Wembley, and elsewhere. Again, why?

So you wanted even more people to see Coventry lose? I'm confused about the point of this post. Okay, I'm not really confused, but I am pretty tired of people going on about Ealing's 'lack of support'. Tired, tired, tired.
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 09:05
Gerg you are obviously a dedicated and loyal fan but the lack of home support is an issue. What a shame the game could not have been played at a sold out BPA.

That said well done on such a good season, I really wish you had been allowed into the Premiership . . next season?
Run with it
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 10:54
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

“Least committed support”?? That’s a bit harsh. The numbers may not be high but the level of commitment is as high as anywhere. As for choice of venue for the final, it was clearly laid out in the competition rules from the start. It was done in an attempt to even out the number of home games, given that the league champions did not play in the first round. 
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 12:14
Firstly, well done Cov on a supreme effort, it really could have gone either way which made for a great final. 

However, the fact that this competition was used by most (all?) teams as a method for blooding youngsters/giving squad members a run out, even in the final, goes to show what a farce it is. 

I have a proposal which I have no doubt will never happen but I will give it a go anyway. 

1) scrap the European Challenge Cup
2) Also scrap the Premiership Cup and Championship cup
3) the bottom 7 Premiership teams play in a domestic cup with the 11/12 Championship teams
4) games are played home and away in both the pool and knockout rounds
5) the winner gets a place in the following season’s Europen Champions Cup

Along with a tv deal and prize money, this should make the competition competitive until the very end. 

how do the academy players get game time I hear you say? Well I’ve long said that the RFU Academies should be taken away from the Premiership clubs and instead integrated into the University system with BUCS being the elite competition for under 21’s. 

Thoughts?

oldman View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 12:56
Trailfinder,

Just one question re your proposal. How do less academic players get serious rugby? 
Only 50% of the population go to university (assume same proportion of 18 yr old rugby players), and many good players do not go to good rugby playing universities. Many good rugby players do not want to or cannot go to university. My own club field a very good prop forward who struggles academically. Would not survive at university.
oldman
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 13:50
It is a fair question oldman, there must be a vocational/apprenticeship offering, not everyone wants to go down an academic route. Likewise for those who are supremely talented at 18 (e.g. Maro Itoje) should be allowed to bypass university if they can be signed up by a Premiership team. This is how basketball works I understand, eg Kobe Bryant bypassed the college system. 

Edited by Trailfinder - 22 May 2022 at 14:05
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 14:56
It depends how you define 'committed support'. I obvs didn't make myself clear enough when referring to a body of supporters, not individuals, who I've no doubt are very committed, so apologies if that's the way you saw it.
Mind you, I didn't see many of those committed Ealing supporters at the BPA not so many weeks ago.
Our City,
Our Club
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 15:44

It’s th

e lack of supporters that is Ealing’s problem

All teams in the Championship have a lack support. The numbers are very low throughout the league. I have sat in the big stand at Coventry several times and at best it is half full.

Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 15:57
The stand at Cov holds over 2,800. (originally 3000 before a few rearrangements. The ground currently holds 4500.
The Coventry crowd is normally between 2000 and 2500, ignoring special occasions.

A supporter of a club which makes up suspiciously rounded figures of 600, finally claims an average of 1000 for the season, and which for a cup final, with a computerised QR code entry system can only estimate a crowd of 1400, and admits to being outnumbered by the away visitors is really in no position to speak for all the clubs in the division.

You have an unsupported club, dependent totally on the funding of one man's vanity project. How many more years will he have to fund before promotion is granted? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic