National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Promoting the Championship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 08:59
My memory of it is that well prior to the Ealing/Doncaster application debacle 22/23 had been called frozen between the Championship and Premiership, in both directions. I do not remember that ,being changed when neither team was accepted..

Of course if Wasps, or rather their parent companies, continue to have problems renewing their bond there could be a further gap in the Premiership, and at that point I suspect a team would be found to fit the (reduced) requirements.

Edited by OldNick - 31 May 2022 at 09:23
All the Way View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote All the Way Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 10:20
Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

My memory of it is that well prior to the Ealing/Doncaster application debacle 22/23 had been called frozen between the Championship and Premiership, in both directions. I do not remember that ,being changed when neither team was accepted..

Of course if Wasps, or rather their parent companies, continue to have problems renewing their bond there could be a further gap in the Premiership, and at that point I suspect a team would be found to fit the (reduced) requirements.
I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that, if you are suggesting the demise of a Premiership team could be a good thing for a Championship team.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 10:38
I can't see where Nick's suggesting that would be a good thing. He's just alluding to a highly unlikely possibility. 
Based on the fact that Arena Coventry Ltd, and another of the Wasps group companies, IEC Experience Ltd, have now both been issued with Companies House 'Strike Off' orders, the scenario is one that definitely will be at the forefront of that club's mind while they attempt to re-finance and pay back the overdue bond to its investors.
Our City,
Our Club
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 10:53
if Wasps did become insolvent, I think the Premiership would simply continue with 12 teams.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 11:13
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

if Wasps did become insolvent, I think the Premiership would simply continue with 12 teams.
I tend to agree.
Our City,
Our Club
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 12:53
I read  some where recently that the Premiership teams are having to readdress their player budgets and that accounts for the mass exodus of demanding players from one team to another and the that Premiership squads will be considerably smaller. 
  The article also stated  that younger ( cheaper, lower paid ) Academy players will have more opportunity for game time.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 15:27
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

I read  some where recently that the Premiership teams are having to readdress their player budgets and that accounts for the mass exodus of demanding players from one team to another and the that Premiership squads will be considerably smaller. 
  The article also stated  that younger ( cheaper, lower paid ) Academy players will have more opportunity for game time.
Which is as it should be. No doubt many of the older heads will be heading south and east in search of the Euro.
Our City,
Our Club
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 16:59

You're right ON: there was no formal announcement of the 'freeze' being changed. But neither was there any announcement that it would remain in place while the Prem was 'stuck' at 13 teams.

Instead we have the rather frustrating middle ground where the parties involve express vague hopes [in contributions to articles like THIS ONE] that things might turn out differently at the end of next season, while at the same time giving themselves enough wriggle room that they might not. All rather predictably unsatisfactory... 
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 18:30
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

You're right ON: there was no formal announcement of the 'freeze' being changed. But neither was there any announcement that it would remain in place while the Prem was 'stuck' at 13 teams.

Instead we have the rather frustrating middle ground where the parties involve express vague hopes [in contributions to articles like THIS ONE] that things might turn out differently at the end of next season, while at the same time giving themselves enough wriggle room that they might not. All rather predictably unsatisfactory... 
100% agree with this. Ensuring that 2022/23 had promotion/relegation should have been one of the conditions of Ealing dropping their appeal. However the more I have poked about, the .ore concerned I am that they got nothing but vague statements.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 20:10
So the RFU have apparently found £222m to fund Premier 15s Rugby over 10 years
£20m a season
£2m a team

They seem hell bent on the Womens clubs being the same clubs as in the Pr3miership, if I get the right end of the stick.

Looks like Championship is just an annoying thorn in the RFU sides. 🤬
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 21:43
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

£20m a season
£2m a team

They seem hell bent on the Womens clubs being the same clubs as in the Pr3miership, if I get the right end of the stick.

It's an utter nonsense. So, business as usual for the farts.
Our City,
Our Club
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 23:04
Women’s rugby at every level is the “coming” thing. There is more attention on that, mainly because the numbers are growing while male participation shrinks.
I do think the Championship needs to get its act together, find a strong leader and start banging heads together to demonstrate the importance of Level 2. Its all too quiet!
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 23:23
I wonder why male participation is shrinking?
Hmmm.
Our City,
Our Club
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 08:25
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

I wonder why male participation is shrinking?
Hmmm.
Lots of research on that - growth of other sports, pandemic identified “better” things to do on a Saturday, preference for individual sports over team sports, etc.
Women’s rugby is going through the sort of growth spurt that men’s rugby had 50 years ago.
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 10:18
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Women’s rugby at every level is the “coming” thing. There is more attention on that, mainly because the numbers are growing while male participation shrinks.
I do think the Championship needs to get its act together, find a strong leader and start banging heads together to demonstrate the importance of Level 2. Its all too quiet!

Totally support the growth of Women's Rugby but it still has a long way to go when you consider that the Senior England Male team are responsible for 90% of the RFU's annual income.
All Knwoing All Seeing
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 13:54

£20m a season
£2m a team

Alternately the RFU is an annoying thorn in the side of the Championship.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 20:37

£20m a season
£2m a team

Given they kicked out Richmond, the most historically successful women's club in England, in order to let Exeter in, it's pretty clear that's exactly what they want. (though I believe Wasps Ladies are affiliated to Wasps FC and not Coventry Wasps but minor technicalities). 

Edited by Robb - 03 Jul 2022 at 20:38
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 20:50
Ditto Lichfield who had around 6 or 7 internationals in their team before those players were forced to move on to maintain their status. Scandalous in my view but nothing surprises me any more with this ragbag governing body of ours 
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 07:19
Harlequins didn’t have a team and bought out Aylesford women
So many Christians not enough Lions
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 09:32
Just about the RFU ensuring that the closed shop remains a closed shop - and let the cartel get stronger. Likely that to gain promotion to the premiership you will also need to have a women's rugby team eligible for promotion to the premiership at the same time......just about to send an amazon sewing kit to RFU HQ to help them out with their stitching requirements.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic