National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Regional 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Regional 1 South East 2022/2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Regional 1 South East 2022/2023
    Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 15:23
Just thought I'd get this started by listing the clubs involved. 
Bedford Athletic
Colchester
CS Stags 1863
Harpenden
Hertford
Medway
Shelford
Sidcup
Sudbury
Tring
Tunbridge Wells
Westcombe Park

As envisaged, a few new clubs to visit, and old adversaries remain. 

Bedford were winners of Midlands 1 East with an impressive 23 wins from 24 matches.
Medway were 3rd in London 1 South
Shelford, Sudbury, Colchester and Harpenden, in that order, arrive from London 1 North

Can anyone provide a run-down on what to expect from any of the newbies at this level.

The older I get, the better I was.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 15:44
The Ath have played at both Midlands and London Premier before. Often yo yo from 5 to 6 to 5.

Whilst still an outer rim team, more games within reasonable travel, three Hertfordshire and one Cambridgeshire. The four Kent trips might be interesting depending how well the players travel.

Ath run a joint Colts team with Bedford Blues of the Championship. Not sure how many Colts will move into Senior team, or are University bound. Ath 2nd XV won the East Midlands Merit League (Northants, Bedfordshire, former Huntingdonshire, Milton Keynes). The 3rd XV did not seem to play, but website indicates the 3rd XV hopefully will be back.

Although youngsters go to university, not sure if the club have links to the University Campus which has a sports faculty.

Allegedly the club can host 500 spectators, but would imagine 100 is a typical turnout. Doubt they reach the 200 mark.

Edited by kempstonblue - 25 Jun 2022 at 15:47
Looking forward to new beginnings.
BruceElliott View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceElliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 20:01
For any of you on Twitter I've set up a list so that if you click through you'll see a feed just from these teams.  It's an easy way to see what's going on, especially on a Saturday afternoon for scores and results...

https://twitter.com/i/lists/1529062766992142336
WESTCOMBE RANGER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 10:16
That's brilliant, thanks.
HAVANT TONY View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 10:21
Bruce
Can you do that for Regional One South Central 😁
All the best for next season, hope TW's luck changes  

Edited by HAVANT TONY - 27 Jun 2022 at 10:21
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 13:37
HAVANT TONY View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 14:26
Mark W-J
Nice one  Thankyou
Owe you a beer when we play you🍺
I hear your lot take a decent crowd to away games...sounds like fun
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 14:58
We've been taking a couple of hundred to some of the more local games, but I think the longer trips this year will impact the travelling numbers.  Having said that, Havant is a fixture that lots of people remember from 30 years ago, so who knows.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 19:41
Lots more 3G pitches joining the league with the London north lads joining us.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 17:34
Nice warm day today in South East England. Hard to think 4 weeks until the league starts.
Two pre season games for Ath, home to Olney away at Bury St Edmunds.

As I get older the close  season gets shorter.
WESTCOMBE RANGER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 13:50
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

Nice warm day today in South East England. Hard to think 4 weeks until the league starts.
Two pre season games for Ath, home to Olney away at Bury St Edmunds.

As I get older the close  season gets shorter.

Be a testing one at Bury St Edmunds. 
Fatty1973 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatty1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 22:41
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum but can anyone shed any light on why CS Rugby are still in this league after they were unable to field a side on several occasions last season?
Happy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 07:47
my understanding is that last season there was no relegation, due to the seriousness of not fulfilling fixtures they were due to be relegated. However the disciplinary committee took the "no relegation season"into account and on the provision that CS could prove that they could remain competitive they would stay in the league. 
Hence the win against TWells and the vast improvement in performance towards the end of the season was so important to them.
I also believe numerous clubs wrote in support to the RFU of no relegation for CS 

I may however be completely wrong 
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 10:39
Personally I think the RFU bent over backwards to stop one of the founder members going under. I genuinely thought that Civil Service wouldn't be here this season as they have only 1 team, no youth section and surrounded by paying clubs and really struggled last year. 

I wouldn't be surprised though if clubs did ask to keep the Civil Service in the league.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 06:29
First game of the season. Venue change.
Tring v Bedford Athletic at Aylesbury Rugby Club. 17.00

Aths Instagram page put it down to pitch conditions at Tring.

Next weeks weather looks helpful for many pitches.

Thunderpants View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunderpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 21:24
1800 Ko @Kempston,see you there
It really was from the 22....
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 13:44
Been talk  on the South Central forum about admission charges.
Last season Bedford Ath was £5 (was that the programme?).

Firstly Region 1, is fifth tier rugby, I have no issue with an admission fee.
Locally tier 7 football is £11, tier 8 £10.

Will confirm prices next week.

So over to you folks. How many of the other 11 clubs are free admission, or a admission price.

Enjoy the trip of season 2022/23.
BruceElliott View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BruceElliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 09:51
Originally posted by kempstonblueHow many of the other 11 clubs are free admission, or a admission price.<br>[/QUOTE kempstonblueHow many of the other 11 clubs are free admission, or a admission price.
[/QUOTE wrote:

Tunbridge Wells - £5.
Concessions and U16s - free entry.

Tunbridge Wells - £5.
Concessions and U16s - free entry.
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 11:00
Programs are zero rated for vat and admission charges stardard rated, so a cost saving. 
Cauliflower ear.
carlos fandango View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlos fandango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 11:58
Went down to Medway yesterday. Seemed to be free to get in, plenty of parking and dog friendly. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic