National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Infomation Flow From Club To Supporters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skipton Gardener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Infomation Flow From Club To Supporters
    Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 16:06
One of the vital parts (for me) of club websites, and especially during the close season when we all get bored, is that connected with the playing side of things and allowing club members and all club supporters to be kept abreast of new signings, injured players updates and leavers. New signings always seem to be posted quickly by the new club but info regarding leavers and players injuries updates seem more scant.

I know that match-day programmes are useful tools for this but for the printed physical versions are always slightly out of date. Virtual match-day programmes that I have viewed online seem rammed with info about almost everything including the aforementioned playing side matters.

I wonder how many fellow Rolling Maulers have an opinion or view as to the importance of keeping all supporters (members or not) bang up to date with all matters including and especially those connected to the players that have signed, left or are still injured??

............Or is it that I am just peeved that I had to discover that our leading try scorer from last season has left the club, that I have supported for many years and has signed for Cambridge for next season? And I only know by accidentally surfing through a host of other club's websites just because I am bored with no rugby to watch. As they say, "if you wear the blazer" you are kept in the know. If you are a rank and file supporter who chooses to pay at the gate for however many years, you ain't in the gang so we ain't telling you nowt.

Or maybe I should just keep taking the tablets....Wink

Good luck to Rian Hamilton in National 1 where I am sure you will be a major success.
Riverball is the call..and the book!
Gargrave Green View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gargrave Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 17:34
Well, that's the first I knew about Rian leaving but then I'm not surprised.  Wharfedale are still showing last years management team on their website after a much publicised change which introduced Simon Verbickas as our new Director of Rugby.  Is that important?  Probably not, especially in the close season but surely the upcoming season's fixtures are and Wharfedale have still not updated theirs.

I appreciate that this a largely a volunteer run club and the "Blazers" as you call them, no doubt dig deep into their pockets to help support the club financially but the club wouldn't survive without the faithful supporters who turn up to each and every home game and pay the admission fee.

Spectator numbers, at Wharfedale. have reduced significantly following relegation from Nat 1 and the subsequent covid pandemic so I think it's crucial that the club engages with the supporters.  Information such as transfers, in and out, injuries and updates make me feel part of the club, make me want to go every game but quite frankly I don't think the Wharfedale "blazers" give a f**k.
It's funny how many people get mad when a sentence doesn't end as they carrot juice.
Skipton Gardener View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skipton Gardener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 17:43
Interesting post GG and much aligned to my personal thinking. Perhaps we have a Wharfedale "blazer" on this site who might like to make some comment?

I cannot believe that only 2 of us "Green Eyed" supporters have similar thoughts and feelings. We all want the best for our club but we also want to be kept in the picture about matters that are important to us as supporters.

Hopefully we will see some posts from other teams' supporters on this.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 18:00
Have to say Leicester Lions have been busy both on the Pitchero site but also on facebook, announcements pretty much every week, so fair play to those running the club and to the press officer.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skipton Gardener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 18:20
Good to hear that Tigerburnie. Do the club always report those players leaving the club?

Must admit I do miss us playing Leicester Lions. Loved your winger/centre Devon Constant. He always got some good natured stick from the Dale crowd (mainly because he kept scoring tries against us) and he gave it back to us as well. A great advert for the game. Best of luck for the new season.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 20:03
Originally posted by Skipton Gardener Skipton Gardener wrote:

Good to hear that Tigerburnie. Do the club always report those players leaving the club?

Must admit I do miss us playing Leicester Lions. Loved your winger/centre Devon Constant. He always got some good natured stick from the Dale crowd (mainly because he kept scoring tries against us) and he gave it back to us as well. A great advert for the game. Best of luck for the new season.
Thanks, Devon signed on for next season, not aware that anyone has left the club, seems the whole squad is in for more next season. Seems they are in year three of a five year plan to try and get promotion, good luck with your season 'oop north.
greenpower View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote greenpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 20:59
to be fair gg  wharfedale have always   been slow at  releasing  in,s  and outs  of  players   so far  i think robbie davidson has returned  a back rower from rotherham  has joined   us  but nothing else  has been reported   maybe  we will get to find out more info before saturdays  game against macclesfield   

Edited by greenpower - 04 Aug 2022 at 21:05
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 21:52
Originally posted by greenpower greenpower wrote:

to be fair gg  wharfedale have always   been slow at  releasing  in,s  and outs  of  players   so far  i think robbie davidson has returned  a back rower from rotherham  has joined   us  but nothing else  has been reported   maybe  we will get to find out more info before saturdays  game against macclesfield   

Appreciate Wharfe are reserved in releasing player movement info, we are the same. 
Personally, I dont believe anything until the player is standing there in your shirt.
Interesting that Wharfe have a pre-season friendly on each Saturday in August. That is a tough ask of your squad. Good luck.
All Knwoing All Seeing
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 10:21
Lions are visiting Otley for a pre season game on the 20th, I won't be there, but you can catch up with the team there no doubt.
FEZ ANT PLUCKER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FEZ ANT PLUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 14:15
It is a strange thing this lack of information in the close season. I always thought it was summer indolence coupled with holidays and a matter of "Keeping your powder dry". As faithful members we always keep our noses to the ground and pick up snippets of information in the process. Some of us have sons that play (which is a useful source but not always the full CV), otherwise it is turn up at training and work it out yourselves from the touchline. Certainly despite having a weekly club 'newsletter' sent electronically to the membership, we the loyal die hard members still have no idea of who has joined or left the club. Our own 'field' intelligence sources tell us that numbers are very high at pre-season training, with some very talented new faces and the odd well known face apparently missing. Intelligence is working hard from the cover of a distant defunct scrummaging machine, and hope to have more information before our road trip to Stourbridge next weekend....... I am sure its more about 'keeping your powder dry' although I have seen quite a bit from other N2E clubs via their Instagram profiles. Not to worry we will soon ALL know. 
Fezantplucker
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gargrave Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 13:00
You're absolutely right Greenpower but that doesn't mean it can't be improved.

I was at the Macc game yesterday and was very impressed by the Green Machine, especially when you consider that half the side were missing for one reason or an other.  Or have they left the club...........we don't know for sure.

One plus was definitely the introduction of James Coulton.  He was very impressive and, the way he plays,  will be a big hit with the fans. 
It's funny how many people get mad when a sentence doesn't end as they carrot juice.
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 21:27
I get bored with clubs the announce re-signings, as if it is thought everyone will leave.

I pretty sure that Wharfedale would  love for more people to write script, work on websites, help with social media etc etc as all that currently do also have full time jobs.

I think an incredible amount of great work is done on the Instagram account of the Dale, perhaps some should consider following that.  Social media is  simpler to update,  but there is a massive amount of work involved in writing and  publishing articles on a website.

More volunteers is the answer.
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 18:25
Originally posted by FEZ ANT PLUCKER FEZ ANT PLUCKER wrote:

It is a strange thing this lack of information in the close season. I always thought it was summer indolence coupled with holidays and a matter of "Keeping your powder dry". As faithful members we always keep our noses to the ground and pick up snippets of information in the process. Some of us have sons that play (which is a useful source but not always the full CV), otherwise it is turn up at training and work it out yourselves from the touchline. Certainly despite having a weekly club 'newsletter' sent electronically to the membership, we the loyal die hard members still have no idea of who has joined or left the club. Our own 'field' intelligence sources tell us that numbers are very high at pre-season training, with some very talented new faces and the odd well known face apparently missing. Intelligence is working hard from the cover of a distant defunct scrummaging machine, and hope to have more information before our road trip to Stourbridge next weekend....... I am sure its more about 'keeping your powder dry' although I have seen quite a bit from other N2E clubs via their Instagram profiles. Not to worry we will soon ALL know. 

Dorking have named a 24 man squad to go to Stourbridge, with a mainly unchanged 15 from the squad that was involved in National 3. 
The bench is mainly promoted colts or returning university players.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skipton Gardener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 12:16
Interesting point backrowbob.

Are you saying that if Wharfedale had more volunteers to update the website, then we would have known directly that Rian Hamilton had left? Would we know what the situation was with Adam Howard who rejoined us in 2020 and has not played since, would we know what is happening with Matt Speres who was injured early last season and has not played since.....etc etc etc.

I suggest that the answer is no. I really don't think that more volunteers is the answer as the issue clearly lies with who decides what goes onto the website. My concerns are that unless you are within the inner sanctum of the club, then you have to find out however you can which is most disappointing. 

More user friendly sites such as twitter and Instagram, to my knowledge have never posted any relevant details other than new signings.

Yes, keep you powder dry until new players have fully signed, I do understand that.

If the club do indeed want more volunteers to help with the website updates then just post an advert on the website saying so. Simples.

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gargrave Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 13:05
I tried the Instagram page, "Wharfedalerufc" which I'm assuming is the page that BRB referred to.  It has 875 followers but only 17 posts, the most recent being in 2015.  Is there another?
FEZ ANT PLUCKER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEZ ANT PLUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 15:27
Originally posted by dropout22 dropout22 wrote:

Dorking have named a 24 man squad to go to Stourbridge, with a mainly unchanged 15 from the squad that was involved in National 3. 
ClapClapClapLOLWink

Edited by FEZ ANT PLUCKER - 12 Aug 2022 at 15:29
Fezantplucker
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 20:05
Originally posted by Gargrave Green Gargrave Green wrote:

I tried the Instagram page, "Wharfedalerufc" which I'm assuming is the page that BRB referred to.  It has 875 followers but only 17 posts, the most recent being in 2015.  Is there another?

dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 00:09

Originally posted by dropout22 dropout22 wrote:

ClapClapClapLOLWink

A rumoured new signing is Mike Macdonald formerly of London Scottish
BigChief View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

London Scottish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigChief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 13:20
I don't know the chap DO22 (at LS or Dorking) but think Mike is/was 'Academy' at best for LS? (for context) - More of a Chinnor player previous perhaps..? Thumbs Up
For the ordinary purposes of conversation, a superficial knowledge of many things goes further than an intimacy with one or two.
PM009 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PM009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 14:40
I think he was signed by LS during the COVID Williams era. Also ex Chinnor, Canterbury, Tonbridge Juddians, he has been around. He’s a good player, I think his Army career holds him back from being regularly available for club rugby. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic