National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

NL Season to be delayed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NL Season to be delayed?
    Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 16:39
I have heard from a pal who has a pal supposedly "in the know" (so most likely nothing in it at all) that plans are being made to delay the start of the National League season due to the lack of rain and bone-hard pitches preventing proper preparation.

I can understand the logic but am wondering if anyone else has any more definite information?
Full Bodied Red View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Bodied Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 18:21
Maybe it’s a possibility, but what about playing on 3 and 4G pitches all year round?

PM009 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PM009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 19:32
Have heard this rumour too so would guess there could be some truth in it. Odd with the amount of sevens played through the summer plus the argument about 4G pitches. We just used to get on with it and put some TCP in the bath back in the day..
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 20:03
Grass not growing at the moment, until we get steady consistent rain, unlikely to change. You could get some nasty burns and skin removed. 
Cauliflower ear.
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 07:03
This has been mooted by the RFU. Most of our pitches are in a bad way. The problem is that playing on them has the concern of tearing out the roots. Grass is a great survivor but needs its roots to remain in the ground.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 07:55
This is a view of Castle Park yesterday - pretty green and healthy at the minute

Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 09:31
No need to rub it in.
Sweeney Delenda Est
oldman View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 11:04
Was the start of the season delayed in 1976 after the last major drought?  This was in my university days hence memory is a little "fuzzy". (all substance's digested were legal, or should have been legal at the time!)

I must admit I have always thought a hard pitch in September is as bad as a frozen pitch in January.
oldman
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 11:28
Originally posted by oldman oldman wrote:

Was the start of the season delayed in 1976 after the last major drought?  This was in my university days hence memory is a little "fuzzy". (all substance's digested were legal, or should have been legal at the time!)

I must admit I have always thought a hard pitch in September is as bad as a frozen pitch in January.

The difference with 1976 though was that September and October were wetter than normal after a hotter than normal summer. At the moment, there's not much sign of a repetition. 

Essentially, I don't suppose it was much fun in the first week of September (though the matches would have been played in the rain) but it got very damp very quickly and then stayed wet. 

keep the faith
Camp Freddie View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camp Freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 11:42
I believe it is a discussion point in the South East. Pitches are bone dry and there is no substantial rain forcast in the forseeable.

Sat up here in the North West and it's certainly not as much an issue
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 12:47
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

No need to rub it in.
Sorry CQ
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 19:38
confirmed by National League Rugby this evening - no blanket suspension of matches because of dry pitches. Calling off matches will be subject to the existing rule which requires inspection by an RFU Referee. Suggestion also that where Clubs have 2 or 3 teams, use your best pitch in series, playing 2 or 3 matches in one day.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 08:59
I see Club v Richmond this w/e has been moved from Saturday to Friday eve as a result of high temperatures forecast (altho' there's no suggestion that this relates to the condition of the pitch, which of course won't change between the original and new slots)
Saturnate View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 09:07
Club's pitch looked fantastic earlier in the week when I saw it from the road (although from that angle it can be somewhat deceptive), and they also have a 3G they could use.
Even Older Hooker View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Even Older Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 09:26
Worthing v Rosslyn Pk this sat moved to Parks 3G pitch
Another one against the head
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 11:51
Esher’s game this Saturday moved to Maidenhead’s 3G pitch.
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 11:53
Originally posted by Saturnate Saturnate wrote:

Club's pitch looked fantastic earlier in the week when I saw it from the road (although from that angle it can be somewhat deceptive), and they also have a 3G they could use.
Was told earlier this week the 3G pitch can only be used for training - it needs work on it.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 13:27
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Esher’s game this Saturday moved to Maidenhead’s 3G pitch.

World rugby approved the use of leggings / tights in October 21 as protection from abrasions caused by artificial pitches 

Edited by FHLH - 10 Aug 2022 at 13:28
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 13:31
A bigger problem would be getting the pitch to take a stud.
Sweeney Delenda Est
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 15:15
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

A bigger problem would be getting the pitch to take a stud.
and associated knee problems - why did we play this game - mud, that's why!
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic