National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

2022-23 Championship - Season Predictions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 23:46
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

It is interesting and a bit daunting to have the views ahead of the season, from supporters of other clubs who have significant experience at this level. 

I cannot disagree with Brizzer or Runitback's assessment because in essence Caldy is at its heart a small village rugby club being helped by players coming from other local village clubs to have a crack at the big teams in the Championship. We were in Wonderland in National One ......Caldy RFC in the the Championship is just bonkers

Our community has now grown to be just a bit larger than just Caldy/West Kirby and its environs.  Supporters of other local rugby clubs came to Caldy for the pre season visit of Sale Sharks, I am sure they enjoyed the experience. Every comment I heard was positive and just a bit proud that a small village rugby club on the Wirral had gotten this far. There are nine other great local rugby clubs within a 10 mile radius of Paton Field and in some small way Caldy is representing these clubs as well as itself in what is realistically now the top tier of 'proper' club rugby in England.

Caldy is all about its own players representing the club and its community as best it can whilst also hopefully giving the opportunity for some game time to a couple of Sale Sharks youngsters who may otherwise be kicking their heels on a Saturday. 

Last season two young Sharks players had game time with Caldy. Full back Elliot Gourlay, owing to the unfortunate season long injury to Caldy's Rhys Hayes, Elliot played with distinction in nearly every game, and scrum half Nye Thomas who made a dazzling impact from the bench on three occasions and had a start in a couple of others. Good young lads who really fitted in with the rest of the Caldy squad and assimilated the Caldy DNA (particularly on away coach trips). It will be pleasing if both are in Caldy's squad for the coming season.

Caldy may not win many (...or any!) but I know the Caldy players will step up and give of their best each and every time and we will be proud of them...always.

Last season in National One we absolutely loved our visits to some brilliant National One clubs with our visit to Chinnor, Rosslyn Park and Tonbridge Juddians being stand outs for me and I know we will hugely enjoy our visits to some new and famous clubs this season. 

Just as for pretty much every season for the last 20 years or so it is all going to be another great adventure. 

WOLWAOTB

And in that post there is what rugby is all about. You are a credit to your club Big Eddie and Caldy have earned the right to eat at this table. They are very welcome and will be a great asset to the league for sure.
Tackle Low!!!!!
RobC View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 11:47
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

All you need to 'know' about Cov is that they are rebuilding, pragmatically.
They lost an awful lot of experience at the end of last season in Burrows, Boulton, Fenner etc, and have brought in a raft of youngsters and promoted academy boys from within.
I hope Alex Rae knows what he's doing, but him being a Cov Kid, whatever happens it won't be for the lack of passion.
My thoughts; I'm hopeful of survival. I expect a few canings along the way, mind.

It will undoubtedly be a steep learning curve for the Cov youngsters and I struggle to see anything other than lower bottom half this season.  
As Kimbo says though, the passion to play for the club will definitely be there and, hopefully, the home support will help us win a few at BPA...
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 14:14

Caldy may not win many (...or any!) 
I predict Caldy will win 6 games and enjoy a great season and avoid relegation. I hope they defend like their lives depend on it and fight for every bonus point - they may need them. 
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
BigChief View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

London Scottish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigChief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 15:49
1. Ealing (But wouldn't be surprised if Jersey/Pirates do not read the script!)
2. Cornish Pirates
3. Jersey 
4. Doncaster 
5. Bedford 
6. Ampthill 
7. Coventry 
8. Hartpury
9. London Scottish 
10. Nottingham 
11. Caldy 
12. Richmond 

Good luck to all Clap
For the ordinary purposes of conversation, a superficial knowledge of many things goes further than an intimacy with one or two.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 17:29
Originally posted by BigChief BigChief wrote:

2. Cornish Pirates
3. Jersey 
4. Doncaster 
5. Bedford 
6. Ampthill 
7. Coventry 
8. Hartpury
9. London Scottish 
10. Nottingham 
11. Caldy 
12. Richmond 

Good luck to all Clap
To be honest I think 4th would do us nicely- the core of our squad remains, but we did lose our star players to higher leagues (but there were some good lads waiting waiting in the aisles to step up). Last weeks result was a bitter pill to swallow but I am sure Bodes and the coaching staff will have taken some learning points from that and we should see improvements this week. We then have potentially the hardest away game of the season, first up - Ealing have signed well and we will have to show the same grit as last season denying them any league points from our fixtures with them, to have any hope this year.

I look forward to welcoming and then visiting Caldy for my first time. Travelling to Jersey in October, and bumping into acquaintances from all the other clubs this coming season, sadly I will not be able to travel to Penzance this year but look forwards to welcoming them to Castle Park. This season could just be the year Ealing achieve their ambitions but they know every team will try their hardest to knock them from their favourites pedestal.

Good luck to all, but obviously more luck to the Knights 😁
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 22:04
1. Ealing
2. Jersey
3. Pirates
4. Doncaster
5. Ampthill
6. Bedford
7. Hartpury
8. Coventry
9. Richmond
10. London Scottish
11. Caldy
12. Nottingham
AnIdiotAbroad View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnIdiotAbroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 05:59
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Originally posted by BigChief BigChief wrote:

2. Cornish Pirates
3. Jersey 
4. Doncaster 
5. Bedford 
6. Ampthill 
7. Coventry 
8. Hartpury
9. London Scottish 
10. Nottingham 
11. Caldy 
12. Richmond 

Good luck to all Clap
To be honest I think 4th would do us nicely- the core of our squad remains, but we did lose our star players to higher leagues (but there were some good lads waiting waiting in the aisles to step up). Last weeks result was a bitter pill to swallow but I am sure Bodes and the coaching staff will have taken some learning points from that and we should see improvements this week. We then have potentially the hardest away game of the season, first up - Ealing have signed well and we will have to show the same grit as last season denying them any league points from our fixtures with them, to have any hope this year.

I look forward to welcoming and then visiting Caldy for my first time. Travelling to Jersey in October, and bumping into acquaintances from all the other clubs this coming season, sadly I will not be able to travel to Penzance this year but look forwards to welcoming them to Castle Park. This season could just be the year Ealing achieve their ambitions but they know every team will try their hardest to knock them from their favourites pedestal.

Good luck to all, but obviously more luck to the Knights 😁

Really interesting season ahead Castle Park Knight. It is hard to look beyond Ealing with the new recruits adding even more depth to an already great squad. For me, Jersey may be the best of the rest bet if they can avoid mishaps on the road and ET slip up when sides get in their face. Pirates have lost a number of big players but if the raft of DR signings adapt to the Champ they could go very well. 
For Donny a transition season, loss of a couple to the Prem and others that remove depth in key positions - new signings hitting their straps early is pivotal with ET and 'Pury away as first 2 fixtures. Feel these will be the top 4 this season with the Mob taking big scalps and all clubs capable of getting results. Personally looking forward to the Ravers first season - their promotion shows what can be done and promotion should be open to Champ clubs to the lofty heights of the Prem. 

Transparency avoids ambiguity
Woody View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 11:03
Three divisions within the league for me.

Top four looks pretty nailed on.

1 Ealing - Strong and motivated to pressure the bankrupt Prem clubs if MSC is sorted.
2 Donny - A great example of a well run club with a good squad. Will be v competitive, pre season not withstanding.
3 Jersey - Always strong but this is probably their glass ceiling...
4 Pirates - final position will depend on the impact of the loss of key players this summer.

Middle group is less certain.

5 Bedford - V strong at home and a settled squad will help. Bolstered by Saints.
6 Coventry - Seem to be stable and give anyone a game.
7 Nottingham - More settled and motivated under Hammond in his second season. Link to Tigers will keep them out of the bottom 4.
8 Hartpury - Gloucester are looking better so Pury should continue to benefit. Can beat most teams on their day.

Bottom 4. Can't see any other result but Caldy bottom I'm afraid. The other three could be in any order.

9 London Scottish - Depends on who they get with regularity from Quins.
10 Ampthill - It will be interesting to see if they have kicked on from last year. If so could be higher.
11 Richmond - Might suffer from high turnover and need Bright to stay fit.
12 Caldy - The step up is arguably bigger than when Ampthill came up so I can't see them hanging on unless another club implodes. Wish them lots of luck though.
Forever Green.
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 20:31
Can’t disagree too much with what’s been said. I think Jersey’s recruitment has been impressive and I think they’re the most likely to challenge Ealing (Venner at 9 in particular is far too good for this league). Also think Ampthill have made some good signings. LS a bit of a unknown quantity, may surprise people depending on quality of Quins players.

As for Bedford, we should be the “best of the rest” in 5th and maybe push 4th, but depends on injuries. We have a talented but very small core squad. In particular, we’re thin at scrum half, front row and back row and will be relying on Saints players for depth in these positions.

Champs
1. Ealing - Losing more than 1 game should be deemed a failure given their resources compared to rest of league. Jordan Burns should not be a 3rd string championship SH

Top 4:
2. Jersey - Impressive recruitment. Could challenge Ealing
3. Doncaster - Lost a few, gained a few. Should be strong
4. Pirates. Have lost some key players. May not be as strong as last year

Middle Pack:
5. Bedford - Could push top 4 if lucky with injuries, could be bottom half if unlucky with them 
6. Ampthill - Decent recruitment. Should be able to push on
7. Coventry - In a bit of a rebuild. Underperformed last year, but v strong at home and expect improvements 

Bottom Half:
8. Nottingham - Some useful signings
9. Hartpury - As ever, depends on quality/available of Glos players. Lost a few of their stars
10. London Scottish - See above but read Harlequins
11. Richmond - Just looked through their squad and made some decent signings I missed (Johnston, O’Meara). I know they lost a few too. They always outperform my prediction so sure they will again!

Bottom:
12. Caldy - Admire them sticking with the team that got them here and they will no doubt cause some upsets at home, but can’t see past a 12th place finish 
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 14:02
Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

Bottom:
12. Caldy - Admire them sticking with the team that got them here and they will no doubt cause some upsets at home, but can’t see past a 12th place finish 

Caldy will probably appear to be somewhat of a dinosaur to most clubs they will meet in the Championship in their inaugral season (and I do admit it is most probable that this will also be their last season in the Championship):

- Caldy has a wooden hut for a clubhouse which has no heating other than from the throng of bodies and a couple of open fires, 
- there are no covered areas in any part of the ground other than squeezing into the small wooden clubhouse
- there is no outside seating other than a few wooden benches which are reserved for the elderly/infirm 
- it draws most of its players from its own junior and youth system and from the other splendid rugby clubs within the locality plus like last season a couple of young Sale Sharks Academy players Elliott Gourlay and Nye Thomas

The Rugby Paper has made it clear today that in their view Caldy's decision to pretty much stick with the squad that won them promotion to the Championship will see them finish bottom of the league and last season's bottom club  London Scottish 'maybe saved from relegation by the fact that Caldy are in the league'

I acknowledge that all of the above will almost certainly be the reality of the season ahead but I know that everyone at Caldy is upbeat about the adventure the club is about to embark on and I will make one very confident prediction about the season ahead.

"Caldy may have very little in infrastructure and no marquee rugby stars but it will share what it does have in abundance with every visiting club and every visiting spectator - the warmest of welcomes, a truly breathtaking vista and the most resolute, hard fought and sporting 80 minutes of rugby that Caldy and its players can muster."

Caldy will deliver on this prediction and even if they lose every game at this level by a barrowload of points I for one will still be very proud of everyone associated with our 'village club' and its determination to stick by everything that defines it as a tremendous and vibrant rugby club.

Edited by Big Eddie - 04 Sep 2022 at 14:06
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 14:56
I have no doubt Caldy will do well, they have a very physical squad with a scattering of real class. I doubt they will win more than they lose but looking at Championship squads you would say on probability Richmond and Caldy were the least experienced, which will probably correlate with league position.  I would not be surprised if Caldy gave Hartpury a "bloody nose" first up . .  especially  with 3000 "posh" scousers there :-).

Run with it
PI003 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PI003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 15:24
Cannot really disagree with the predicted 3 group Championship this season, player recruitment has been in operation for all sides.  I am just looking forward to a season of hopes and aspirations for all teams.
As we all know, and I hope agree, the Championship will always be looked on with disdain by the RFU and treated with contempt.  The funding of it, or lack of it, the constant denigrating of it by both PRL/RFU will always threaten to give me heart palpitations!
But, another season is here and I look forward to another season of Championship fun, both home and away.  Good luck to all teams and , hopefully, Ealing get their rightful place in the Premiership.  Although I know all other sides will be hoping to spike those dreams.
As for Caldy, and Big Eddie, welcome to the Championship.  I look forward to our, Coventry’s trip there, and know the , shall I say, Spartan but welcoming ground will provide a big boost to Caldy’s home results.
Just one request Big Eddie, could you arrange for more than one corkscrew to be available behind the bar please for our desired Malbec or Shiraz imbibing?! 

Once more good luck to all Championship teams, let’s go!
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 17:41
Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

I have no doubt Caldy will do well, they have a very physical squad with a scattering of real class. I doubt they will win more than they lose but looking at Championship squads you would say on probability Richmond and Caldy were the least experienced, which will probably correlate with league position.  I would not be surprised if Caldy gave Hartpury a "bloody nose" first up . .  especially  with 3000 "posh" scousers there :-).

I hope Caldy could muster 750+ but 3,000 is a stretch as there will be fixtures for the other 9 rugby clubs on the Wirral and the 'rugby afficionados' will be spread somewhat more thinly than was the case when Sale Sharks visited in August.

The weather will be the main determinent. Whether Caldy will ever be able to give an experienced Championship side a 'bloody nose' is optimistic conjecture but they will attempt to give more than a tickle....
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 17:47
Originally posted by PI003 PI003 wrote:

As for Caldy, and Big Eddie, welcome to the Championship.  I look forward to our, Coventry’s trip there, and know the , shall I say, Spartan but welcoming ground will provide a big boost to Caldy’s home results.
Just one request Big Eddie, could you arrange for more than one corkscrew to be available behind the bar please for our desired Malbec or Shiraz imbibing?! 

I will make it my mission PI003............as with Caldy's Pot Noodle catering, the house wine comes in what would be loosely described as a plastic cask.......Caldy's experienced sommelier Mr John Butler generally supervises the decanting of the house wine into smaller receptacles.....John will be delighted that a visiting spectator is sufficiently knowledgeable and refined to request something that requires the use of the club corkscrew
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 18:59
Originally posted by PI003 PI003 wrote:

Cannot really disagree with the predicted 3 group Championship this season, player recruitment has been in operation for all sides.  I am just looking forward to a season of hopes and aspirations for all teams.
As we all know, and I hope agree, the Championship will always be looked on with disdain by the RFU and treated with contempt.  The funding of it, or lack of it, the constant denigrating of it by both PRL/RFU will always threaten to give me heart palpitations!
But, another season is here and I look forward to another season of Championship fun, both home and away.  Good luck to all teams and , hopefully, Ealing get their rightful place in the Premiership.  Although I know all other sides will be hoping to spike those dreams.

Good grief Paul. Wine corks? Get yersen into the 21st century...
Our City,
Our Club
Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 19:42
Sounds like Yates's Wine Lodge would be a good sponsor.

It's a long time since I visited one - the last time was the one opposite the entrance to Herculaneum dock in the late 60's

First time I ever saw jet black water in a dock, I guess some of it must have been water ??
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2022 at 07:22
Really looking forward to visiting Caldy in a few weeks time. Is 8th Oct too early to have the fire lit?! Don't keep official stats on these things, but I believe it could be the first away clubhouse with a proper fire on our travels since Macclesfield in 11/12!
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2022 at 08:57
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Really looking forward to visiting Caldy in a few weeks time. Is 8th Oct too early to have the fire lit?! Don't keep official stats on these things, but I believe it could be the first away clubhouse with a proper fire on our travels since Macclesfield in 11/12!

Macclesfield's fire must be rubbish because in all my visits to Macc I cannot recollect ever seeing one........

If there is a nip in the air the fire will be lit in the main bar and possibly also in the 'lounge' bar.........on the basis that folks from Jersey may be put off travelling to the frozen North in early October I will personally ensure the fire will be lit ........Caldy's roaring, spitting and crackling log fire has never let us down......

.........there will probably be some Bombay Bad Boy on the menu as well.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2022 at 09:46

Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Macclesfield's fire must be rubbish because in all my visits to Macc I cannot recollect ever seeing one........

If there is a nip in the air the fire will be lit in the main bar and possibly also in the 'lounge' bar.........on the basis that folks from Jersey may be put off travelling to the frozen North in early October I will personally ensure the fire will be lit ........Caldy's roaring, spitting and crackling log fire has never let us down......

.........there will probably be some Bombay Bad Boy on the menu as well.

Marvellous! I survived Wharfedale in January, and we had an arctic December date in Newcastle 3ish years ago, so hopefully the Wirral in October will be ok. Definitely a fire at Macc - it was spitting and crackling, a bit like Geoff Wappett (the head coach, large and rather intimidating when you first met him but actually a nice chap once he'd settled down) after a home defeat! Big smile
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2022 at 10:07
Geoff Wappett was an imposing brooding presence on the touchline for sure .........with the livelier Andy Northey acting as a counterweight...............lots of crackling and spitting 

Surviving Wharfedale at any time of year is a challenge ........never mind the views and the Countryfile location ........Wharfedale posses possibly the most hostile set of supporters in England

Edited by Big Eddie - 05 Sep 2022 at 10:10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic