National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Topic ClosedHMQ - Games off?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 08:30
Big Eddie
I hear what you say, and agree, but how we mourn as a society has changed.  In the not too distant past applause to celebrate a life, especially  of a young one, would be unheard of.  People now want to celebrate a life, and that could never be more pertinent than in her Majesty's case. 

That said, I'm fairly sure all matches will be cancelled and that the state funeral will be on a weekend, and everything will be off again.  A remarkable woman, a remarkable monarch, but IMV living life does not disrespect the dead.

Edited by backrowb - 09 Sep 2022 at 08:31
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 08:35
My wife is currently (on her day off) cancelling a massive event for tomorrow, ringing round suppliers etc.

Edited by billesleyexile - 09 Sep 2022 at 08:37
keep the faith
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 08:36
Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

That said, I'm fairly sure all matches will be cancelled and that the state funeral will be on a weekend, and everything will be off again. 

I *think* current plans are for state funeral Monday week, but how that works without an emergency bank holiday....

Edited by billesleyexile - 09 Sep 2022 at 08:37
keep the faith
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 08:40

Big Eddie
I hear what you say, and agree, but how we mourn as a society has changed.  In the not too distant past applause to celebrate a life, especially  of a young one, would be unheard of.  People now want to celebrate a life, and that could never be more pertinent than in her Majesty's case. 

That said, I'm fairly sure all matches will be cancelled and that the state funeral will be on a weekend, and everything will be off again.  A remarkable woman, a remarkable monarch, but IMV living life does not disrespect the dead.

Backrowbob,

Personally I agree with everything you say and that is actually my stance as well. However, I have so many close friends who will want to mourn in the traditional manner and this coupled with society's increasingly frantic pace gave me pause for thought last night.

Accordingly I believe it is right for society to slow down for a period and reflect on an individual who gave herself to others for her entire life, with no let up and no complaint. 

''The future isn't what it used to be''
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 09:13
It has now gone 9 a.m. and as far as I am aware there has not yet been any official guidance from the RFU.

Caldy is easily the smallest club in the Championship and it relies on its members sponsors and events. Last night out of respect it moved quickly to cancel today's fundraising lunch for 200 at the club, however without clear direction from the RFU Caldy cannot unilaterally cancel tomorrow's home game against Hartpury.

Caldy are in limbo  this morning and with 300 guests arriving for lunch tomorrow, clear and immediate direction is crucial.

Where is the RFU???

Since its promotion to the Championship the RFU has required Caldy to not only undertake a myriad of infrastructure improvements and enhanced media and communications changes but also to put in place the following :

Medical needs assessment plan
Operations plan
A stewarding plan
A temporary ground plan
A contingency plan
A major incident plan
A go critical plan

Where is the RFU's plan for what was clearly a foreseen event that was certain to happen ?

Edited by Big Eddie - 09 Sep 2022 at 09:38
''The future isn't what it used to be''
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 09:57
The problem for many clubs is the fact that they will be travelling today and staying overnight for the game tomorrow and in the case of Richmond they are scheduled to play Cornish Pirates away tonight!! With hotel accommodation already booked. We need the answer now surely the RFU have a contingency plan for such an expected event. 

Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 10:17
Sporting events called off following death of Queen Elizabeth II

In rugby union, Northampton abandoned their Premiership Rugby Cup clash against Saracens scheduled for Thursday evening.

Scotland women's Test international against Spain on Sunday has been called off and Scottish Rugby has also postponed all domestic competitive games this weekend as a mark of respect.

I expect the RFU will seek to postpone this weekend's matches, and hopefully Premiership Rugby will be in agreement.
oldman View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 10:19
It appears theatre's are continuing with planned performances after advise from the government. Does this set a precedent?
oldman
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 10:25
Originally posted by oldman oldman wrote:

It appears theatre's are continuing with planned performances after advise from the government. Does this set a precedent?

doubt it - there isn't a league body for theatres so it's more a question of admitting defeat before (some, presumably) theatres turned round and said 'we're not shutting, do one'

On the other hand, they have *because they do control it* canned the last night of the Proms.

Much easier for sports with a single governing body to lay the law down - either way.

But what I think is happening is the RFU waiting for the FA to jump, because then it gets top cover.

Of course, when George VI died the FA played on, and the RFU cancelled everything...
keep the faith
Hare today! View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 10:30
I think they're waiting for clear direction from the Dept of Culture, Media and Sport.  We might hear something by Tuesday Disapprove
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 10:31
The RFU are awaiting the outcome of a DCMS meeting that I believe started at 0830. It's true that a prompt decision is needed - let alone the weekend, there are 2 Prem + 2 Champ games tonight: Richmond must have set off for Penzance some time ago, and also Saints heading up to Sale... and the Reds have a flight to catch (or not) at 1340
Jester10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 10:31
10.30 and nothing from RFU. Chinnor are supposed to be hosting Rams tonight. This is ridiculous 
Enjoying life!
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 10:33
One has to make allowances for the carers  to get the RFU members ready in a morning
jimbojetset View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 10:36
It's almost as if the RFU wants to appear as incompetent as they can.... Make a decision one way or the other, but for crying out loud make a decision.
Hare today! View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 10:39
Just reported that DCMS have said recommend call off but they've left the ultimate decision to the Premier League & the FA, nothing re RFU so I guess RFU will follow Footballs lead.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 10:42
This from Bristol POst reporter...

John Evely
@JohnEvely_BPost
ยท
The Gallagher Premiership's organising body appear to be sitting on their hands waiting for direction from the Government, but Super League, EFL, Scottish Rugby Union, ECB, European Tour Group golf, and British Horseracing Authority have all managed to make a decision alone.
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 10:43
After the Death of the last Monarch, the FA ran a full program of matches 3 days after
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 10:45
Originally posted by Hare today! Hare today! wrote:

Just reported that DCMS have said recommend call off but they've left the ultimate decision to the Premier League & the FA, nothing re RFU so I guess RFU will follow Footballs lead.

Yes just saw this via Times reporter...

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 10:45

After the Death of the last Monarch, the FA ran a full program of matches 3 days after

Yes and the RFU didn't. So you can pick your preferred way forward as either has a precedent. What we've instead got is the RFU running scared at the start of the Prem season and consequently not getting on with making a decision. Either way, frankly.

keep the faith
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 10:52
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Originally posted by Hare today! Hare today! wrote:

Yes just saw this via Times reporter...

Basically they bottled it. Leaving it up to the respective governing bodies, none of whom have the bravery to make the first move.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic