National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

National 2 East Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 25>
Author
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 18:02
Sadly, I think the only certainty is NW being relegated (and likely to be replaced by Colchester)...beyond that i think it is still too soon to predict winners and losers.

sweatysock View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatysock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 20:16
bit worried about Worthing, although they could have won yesterday. Need to string a run of decent results
Happy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 08:37
Huge game next week by the looks of it 
Darth Raider View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 13:25
Fantastic result for BSE at the Big Field I though........which as Happy said, seems to have thrown the title race wide open ?  The Dorks had looked unbeatable I thought and I am curious to know how this result came about ?  I am assuming for now that BSE were just outstanding and Dorking had a decent side out.  

I too worry about my lot......a thin squad, no second team and a bunch of injuries have left us in an awkward position.  That said, I watched the game on Saturday and thought that overall, we had the better of it against 4th placed Hawks.  We spent an awful lot of time in their red zone without scoring and this ultimately cost us the game as they kicked their pens well throughout.  Bit of a missed opportunity though, methinks, although Hawks did dominate the first quarter.

Another big game next week.   
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 20:17
I shan’t crow too much about forecasting the BSE win, having watched them beat us I had the feeling that they could upset Dorking. Remember they did the double over them last season. They are a much stronger side than either TJs or Henley who we have played recently. 

We did well to score 7 tries after losing 3 players to injuries in the first 10 minutes. Fortunately the collective level of experience being built in the squad meant that players could fit in without too much difficulty.

Hopefully easy week this week then 4 key matches for us up to the Christmas break.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 21:57
Originally posted by Darth Raider Darth Raider wrote:

Fantastic result for BSE at the Big Field I though........which as Happy said, seems to have thrown the title race wide open ?  The Dorks had looked unbeatable I thought and I am curious to know how this result came about ?  I am assuming for now that BSE were just outstanding and Dorking had a decent side out.  

I too worry about my lot......a thin squad, no second team and a bunch of injuries have left us in an awkward position.  That said, I watched the game on Saturday and thought that overall, we had the better of it against 4th placed Hawks.  We spent an awful lot of time in their red zone without scoring and this ultimately cost us the game as they kicked their pens well throughout.  Bit of a missed opportunity though, methinks, although Hawks did dominate the first quarter.

Another big game next week.   

Agree with your assessment Darth, first 15/20 minutes Henley were well on top with play hardly out of our third.

After that Raiders came back, well to lead at half time.

Second half Henley kicked goals to take the lead, but Worthing should have scored following a great cross kick by our 10 - unfortunately our winger failed to make the catch.

Even then we battered away at the Henley line without being able to cross for the vital score.

2 good performances in the last 2 home games, we need to take this form to Sevenoaks on Saturday.
RAID ON
honestinjun View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honestinjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 23:07
I think the league winner will come from the top 6 sides currently, and the winner will need strength in depth, because we are all going to suffer a run of injuries, we have 7 first choice players out currently for lengthy periods and having lads that can step us has been key for us to maintain a decent performance, so far!

Bury are on a strong run right now, and will be rightfully over the moon after their gutsy win at Dorking, and it is fair to say that I am a little nervous about our chances at Haberden this Saturday! From the rest of the teams below top 6, Guernsey at their place, and OAS last week have both made Barnes work hard to grind out wins. OA’s in particular came back hard against us in the last 15 mins on Saturday. 

Whilst nothing is yet certain, it is a long old season, and what is certain is that there will be lots of surprises ahead!

Edited by honestinjun - 13 Nov 2023 at 23:10
HonestInjun
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 23:41
Injuries are a given. Every club needs to have depth to succeed.

Sweeney Delenda Est
BigChief View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

London Scottish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigChief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 08:58
No shame to lose to BSE Saturday who won the match fair and square and are a very good side (nothing that wasn't already known) also a decent bunch on the touchline and in the bar Handshake.

But, I don't think they would have expected so many unforced errors from Dorking including an absolute peach which gifted BSE a 7 pointer with about 20 to go.  The 'cherry on top' , in a nightmare couple of mins for Dorking, was the long range drop goal immediately after.  This was not only good in execution but probably swung the game towards the visitors (real credit to the fella for seeing it Clap).

BSE were very good on the day and the win wasn't robbery by any stretch - more like an early Christmas present I feel. Embarrassed   

A bad day at the office for Dorking but great character from the players to score 2 late tries, against a defence that gave nothing all day (If you have to lose - grab 2 BPs right....) Thumbs Up

Edited by BigChief - 14 Nov 2023 at 08:59
For the ordinary purposes of conversation, a superficial knowledge of many things goes further than an intimacy with one or two.
WESTCOMBE RANGER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 10:42
And grabbing two bonus points if you lose could well be the key to survival at the other end of the table.
The older I get, the better I was.
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 12:08
Bonus points may well be the key both at top and bottom....BSE picked up nothing in our two defeats and yes victories over Esher and Dorking were pleasing, but both only garnered 4 points.    I really cant call at this stage who might be exiting with NW....as for the top, I dont think there is a side with the strength we saw when Rams won the league or Chinnor for that matter...so its up for grabs IMO.
See you Saturday Injun!
Shamrose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 12:49

BSE were extremely well drilled in defence and Dorking just couldn't seem to get on the outside of them to release the speed men which is their strength. Maybe they should have taken up the middle more but plan A had worked for 8 games so hard to adjust. BSE were also the fittest side we have played and took their opportunities when they arose.

Good advert for the League and plenty more to come from BSE, Barnes, Esher and Dorking this season which i suspect will go to the wire

@boatyjames View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote @boatyjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 07:44
View from Barham Rd is that we need a win. Coaches were quietly confident after just losing to Henley two weeks ago but we made too many errors against Sevenoaks last Saturday. People thought that Sevenoaks were good and well coached.
Really need to pick up points these next two weeks against TJ’s and Esher before must wins against NW and Worthing.
Player numbers are ok at the moment I believe.
The Hawks View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hawks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 23:50
I was at Henley today, a draw was a fair result. Both kickers missed three attempts at goal. I expected a lot from Dorking as they were league leaders, but I feel they were quite average, was it due to the conditions or they haven’t got over their defeat from last week? So two trys each, I still feel Esher are my favourites to go up, but plenty of rugby to play for!!
'Go The Hawks!'
PM009 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PM009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 09:57
Agree, I think Esher’s experience will tell after Christmas
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 10:59
I think yesterdays results (across the board) shows how close teams are in this league...a draw and 4 games with less than a score between the sides....still anybody's guess in my opinion

Shamrose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:39

Half way point on the 9th Dec and Dorking host Esher so perhaps by then we wil have a clearer picture by then? We are also yet to have any really heavy grounds so things may change when they arrive. 

Much more entertaining watching this league than the dire stuff Leicester and Northampton served up yesterday
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 17:02
Good news for Esher yesterday was a lock returning after 12 months our and another joining from Scotland. Nice to have 3 big locks!
@boatyjames View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote @boatyjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 17:16
Dunc will be happy. Will be interesting to see how our packs match up next week - looking forward to it!
Shamrose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 15:23
Entertaining and mad game at Dorking yesterday

I think the lead changed hands 6 if not 7 times in front of yet another good crowd at the Big Field. 

Barnes getting beaten and BSE drawing mean the Dorking Esher game in two weeks is even more pivotal 

Edited by Shamrose - 26 Nov 2023 at 15:25
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 25>
  Share Topic