National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

National 2 East Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>
Author
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Even Older Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 21:19
The points deduction for Westcliff was for not putting a side out at the end of last season vs Worthing. As I recall they could not put a front row out, we offered players. Not wanted. The front row were on a stag weekend I believe. Not impressive
Another one against the head
FEZ ANT PLUCKER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEZ ANT PLUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 12:07
Originally posted by Darth Raider Darth Raider wrote:

Hi Shamrose........Dorking do have some previous, though the current side is not as strong as the team that were promoted last time around.......with messrs Crow and Pimelow at the helm ?  They flattered to get promoted again for a while did they not ?  I think Crow was up at Dry Leas last year but I have not seen his name on the team sheet thus far.

I imagine this year's side are strengthened by the addition of four Raiders ?  I reckon two of them could, arguably, play level 3.   
Hi DR. As Shamrose has not replied to your post I thought I would respond. As Camquin has said we were promoted to L4 seven years ago and spent 2 seasons. Its been mentioned before but we finished 4th in our 1st season and shocked quite a few. Its true we had Crow and also Roux our current DOR. Pimlow is still with us but his appearances now are more cameo's as he has returned from a long while out, and now has a family and is of course that much older.
IMO our team of 2022 is as good, but now the club has much deeper strength in depth and can cope with the demands. A strong mix of the club graduating its youth, good recruitment, and the added benefit of state of the art Gym and S&C facilities. The club has also invested heavily in our coaching staff and medical support team, so we have a lot to offer young players who want to join a progressive well managed club.
Indeed it was the lack of our strength in depth that resulted in our relegation the last time. The club has benefitted from good sponsors which has allowed for the development of facilities and our 1st team pitch.
We have also been lucky to have recruited Henry Birch, Henry Anscombe, and Joe Spurgeon from Worthing and all are contributing to our current success. I did try to establish why they left but never got an answer. I understand differences of opinion might be something to do with it.
It will be interesting to see if Crow turns out against us for Henley when we visit Dry Leas on 12th November. 
Fezantplucker
Darth Raider View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 15:24
Thanks for the response FAP......i was surprised Shamrose did not respond himself.
From what you say, it seems that as a club, Dorking have taken big steps forward.  I will be surprised if the current side has more quality than the team that was promoted 7 years ago.....but will let you know what I think after seeing your lot at our place.
I did hear that you have a no8 who is a bit of a terror in the loose and at the breakdown ?

I won't get into reasons why our lads left for Dorking, other than to say you left out Will Scholes, arguably the best of the bunch.  My understanding was that he said he had retired, before turning up at the Big Field.  Ouch

Best of luck for the rest of the season, I reckon another top 4 finish would be a fine result for you.
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 18:12
From that seen some far I would be surprised if Blackheath lose a game all year. That prospect just amplifies the ridiculous RFU reshuffle that in turn means we have no play offs at this level. 

Pace Power Perfection
FEZ ANT PLUCKER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEZ ANT PLUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 11:27
Originally posted by Darth Raider Darth Raider wrote:

Thanks for the response FAP......i was surprised Shamrose did not respond himself.
From what you say, it seems that as a club, Dorking have taken big steps forward.  I will be surprised if the current side has more quality than the team that was promoted 7 years ago.....but will let you know what I think after seeing your lot at our place.
I did hear that you have a no8 who is a bit of a terror in the loose and at the breakdown ?

I won't get into reasons why our lads left for Dorking, other than to say you left out Will Scholes, arguably the best of the bunch.  My understanding was that he said he had retired, before turning up at the Big Field.  Ouch

Best of luck for the rest of the season, I reckon another top 4 finish would be a fine result for you.
Hello again Darth
 I didnt know Will Scholes came from Worthing. It has never actually been officially announced, although there was a lot of rumour going around that he had joined us from Canterbury, and another mention of having played at Bury St Edmunds. He is a real class act IMO and has bolstered our 2nd row so that we now have at least 8 competing for selection. I dont know exactly why he came to us but am very glad he did smell the coffee.
Did you attend our home match v Worthing a couple of weeks ago? I thought you had a very young team and lacked the experience of Dorking on the day. There was not a lot in it tbh.
We will all look forward to our Christmas fixture against Worthing on 17th December and best of luck to you too. 
Fezantplucker
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 12:13
Will joined Bury from Cinderford....he then moved on to Canterbury and then Worthing and now Dorking...  Decent player and a nice guy to go with it, but history suggests best not to include him in any long term plans...

LHTT View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Official Toliet key holder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 12:30
Originally posted by Wigwam Wigwam wrote:

From that seen some far I would be surprised if Blackheath lose a game all year. That prospect just amplifies the ridiculous RFU reshuffle that in turn means we have no play offs at this level. 

It's gone very well so far it's true but I doubt that myself & 4 games in, with only 1 away game played, I don't think the relative strength of Blackheath against the league as a whole can be accurately assessed yet. 

This weekend away at OA's is a big test IMO...
Irritating Offspring of the word unite.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 20:34
TP.....agree it is at least possible that the Club will go unbeaten this season.  Early indication this Saturday away at Woolams.....arguably their toughest fixture of the year ?  Win that one and they are well on their way.  Shanners could do with some success.
Jackal et al.....I think Scholes is an outstanding athlete for a lock and a great tryscorer from that position, not unlike Sumpter at Lions.  But as you say....not likely to be around too long ?  I can understand him leaving Cinderford....I clearly recall writing that their locks at the time, Hone and Lane as I recall in their promotion season, that i thought both could play level 2.  Scholes is very good, but IMO lacks the bulk to go that high.  But suspect he will find more money at level 3 at some point, which is where he belongs. 
Money being why he also is at Dorking.
FAP......no....for the first time I missed our encounter at the Big Field.  Indeed, you were watching a very young and inexperienced 'Raiders' side.  Truth be told, there almost more actual Raiders in the side Dorking fielded.
No idea what will happen with our season......i have only watched the one game so far.  We seem to be improving and despite losing at least 9 members of last year's pack.....excluding Spurge.....we still have some potent backs.....and we seem to be improving a bit.
Hope springs eternal......hoping for top half of the table.  Tongue 
Shamrose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 14:25
Hi Darth

Reason i didnt respond was i really dont know why they chose to come to Dorking but very glad they didSmile 
Dorking do not normally get a group of players from one club arriving together so my guess was they were all friends who decided to move together as we had this at Ealing a couple of times in the 80's and that was the rreason they gave

Edited by Shamrose - 11 Oct 2022 at 14:27
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 16:50
Hi Shamrose........thanks for taking the time to respond.  I also do not know for certain why the four players left for Dorking, though i could hazard some guesses.  They did not all leave at the same time though.....it was a serial affair.  I guess however, that it is fait to conclude that for one reason or another, they were dissatisfied with their lot at the Rugby Park and Dorking were able to offer more of whatever they were looking for.....so best of luck to all involved really......while being a sad and damaging loss for Raiders (imo).
Were you once an Ealing supporter ?  I have half a memory of swapping notes with you before.......though whether that was as an Dorking or Ealing fan I can't recall.  I was ever an huge admirer of the brand of running rugby played by Ealing......Ben Ward pulling the strings so well at 10......and the quite incredibly prolific Phil Chesters on the wing.  I think he may have scored more than 60 tries in one season ? 
Shamrose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 11:53
Darth

I played for Ealing as a colt and senior until i moved overseas and when i moved back to Ealing i used to go down and watch them. Yes i remember watching Ben Ward and him in down at Ealing. He had truely electric pace but was also strong, he scored 70 tries in Ealings promotion in 2010/11 from Nat 2 South to National 1 and then scored 42 the next year in Nat 1! There was a brute of a winger on the other wing Owen Brunsells who scored 32 and 20 in those two years as well

I moved out to Dorking in 2008 but still went back to Ealing quite a bit and but now get to a game once or twice a year but now enjoy the rugby down at Dorking who currenly have an exciting and relatively young team mainly made up of former colts plus some recent useful recruitsWink. Maybe i will see you at your place in DecemberSmile      
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 19:26
Surprise to me, but Club falter away at Woolams......always going to be a tough game......and OA's go top on the back of it.  Makes things more interesting ?

I am expecting more from both Guernsey and TJ's as the season moves on, but many of the eventual top six are most likely, already in place.
Very well done to both Barnes and Dorking, who for me at least, are the overachievers of our season so far Clap
Rochford are a curious side......up until the huge concession by Westcliff today, they had shipped more points than anybody else, while simultaneously recording 5 TBPs.  
I have witnessed a number of seasons in which Hawks, with their considerable resources, have recruited mid-season to great effect.  They cannot be counted out of a title win yet (unfortunately WinkCry)

It remains a shame (to me) that there will not be a race for a playoff place......it might have been quite a competition this year ?

V pleasing win for my lot at the Haberden. Clap
Shamrose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2022 at 09:45
Dorking riding their luck with two away matches won in the last minutes by 1pt and now 2pt's but you make your own luck and as a new team in the League it is a really promising start, especially as 4 of the six matches have been away.

Looking forward to the visit of Burry St Edmunds on Saturday
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 19:55
It seems that Dorking's luck finally ran out.....but still an useful LBP.......did they get a full side out ?
Most of the other results seem to have gone as expected ?

Game of the day will very likely have been at the Rugby Park.....where I was today.  
OA's were quite the biggest pack I have seen for a while and so, I was less surprised at how they had managed to beat the Club last week. They dominated the first quarter and were totally dominant in the set piece.  They scored two tries and our situation was exaggerated by a red card and the shortly after, a yellow.
In between there were a number of injuries to OA's players.....some at least, serious.  They lost their place kicker at 13 and I think, their 8, both very serious injuries causing delays. 
WE defended tigerishly in the loose and with limited possession, managed to use our pace out wide to score three tries while down to 13 men.......and the another early in the second half....still down to 13.
Although I don't accurately recall it....I am told we were down to 12 for a while.
OA's had much the better of the last quarter as we tired.....pulled it back to 31-20 with 10mins to go, but with the clock in the red and trying to secure an LBP, threw an intercept pass.
38-20.  Very pleasing, but perhaps, not the most accurate scoreline in terms of possession and teritory.

Onwards and upwards though......we improve week on week WinkClap

Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 20:21
Have to say Guernsey we’re huge never seen so many tall people in one side 
So many Christians not enough Lions
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 20:40
does not seem to have done them a lot of good Rabbie......crushing defeat ? did their set piece work well ?
any other thought about the game in general ?

in fact....anybody else got anything approaching a match report of what they saw today ?

sweatysock......you at the Rugby Park today ?

Even Older Hooker View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Even Older Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 20:57
Darth, I was there !!!!! and what a privilege. The best game I have watched at the Rugby Park for some seasons. After the Red card which even the offended player said was no offence (high tackle} The work rate and cohesion of the forwards was monumental. their communication support for each other shows a very cohesive unit with respect for each other's skills. Add that to the pace of the backs and their defensive skills, you had almost the perfect team performance. As we tired OAs battled back very well, but we had done too much damage. I believe the score very fairly reflected the quality of play. I do hope the OAs player badly injured recovers ASAP. The Red wine is out, A very happy old Hooker.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 21:04
malbeq or have you changed OH ?
Even Older Hooker View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Even Older Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 21:23
No Darth Malbec it is yum yum
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 21:57
Bit of a stop start game at Well Hall that never really got going as the ref seemed to enjoy listening to his whistle. It was our highest penalty count of the season many decisions which baffled both sides. 4 tries in each half meant the result was never in doubt but Guernsey never gave up and caused problems showing by scoring in the dying moments. One interesting side show was the Armstrong brothers playing against each other for the first time. We were given the benefit of the doubt on a couple of tries this afternoon which probably balances the 3 decisions we weren’t given last week at OAs. 
So many Christians not enough Lions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>
  Share Topic