National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

National 2 East Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2024 at 16:10
Originally posted by Darth Raider Darth Raider wrote:

Hi Jackal.....were you at the game ?  I can imagine it must be gutting from an BSE standpoint to surrender the match situation like that ?

As regards the remaining six fixtures.....I have not looked at all of them I confess, but my lot have both the in form Sevenoaks and NW at home, and the Wombles away.  So strictly speaking, it would not be unreasonable I think, to say that we DO hold our survival in our own hands ?  I suspect that two more wins might be enough ?  But you never know.

As regards which team might be considered the over-achievers in this season, my vote would go to WP.
They are not holding an exactly heady position in the league, but have amassed a very good points total for a recently promoted side.  In addition, if you were to look at prospects for next year, then although they have lost 12 games, 8 of those were by 7pts or less.  So it would not take a great deal more for them to be top 6 next year ?  Sevenoaks also merit a mention....a fine season for them too and perhaps, still improving ?

As regards the under-achievers.  I think given recent seasons form, it should be Worthing Raiders. 
Guernsey too, may have been hoping for a much better outcome this year.  I for one keep expecting them to mount a title challenge sometime soon ?

I suppose Esher would like to wrap up the title early if they can ?  They remain in a strong position but with both Dorking and Barnes in their last two fixtures, nothing can be taken for granted yet.  Four very winnable games precede that though, and maximum points there could do the job ?   

Esher now have the re-arranged home fixture against Guernsey between the Dorking and Barnes games.
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2024 at 16:28
Hi Darth...yes i was at the game....had been royally entertained by the Worthing Boys on the Friday and all was well until 2.30!
That is 5 defeats in a row now since the euphoria of beating Henley....We let slip a similar lead v TJs and the wheels seem to have come well and truly off!  Such a shame having got into the promo scrap to now face a dispointing end to the season.

Esher seem nailed on for the title...i cant see them slipping up twice.
Down the bottom...if you had asked me at 2.30 on Saturday I would have said Worthing were the poorest team we have played recently (having played all the other contenders recently) but now who knows!

Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 10:47
Jackal, we continue to tighten the nuts at Esher! We were poor last week against a dogged 7oaks. We will need to find more cohesion in March with the Away matches at TJs and North Walsham. 

In some ways having the Guernsey match rearranged to the spare week between Dorking and Barnes could help us. We will know what we need to achieve each week in April.

Most of our injuries have cleared and we have depth in every position, shown by our 2nd XV now winning consistently.

Having said all of that, every match now becomes a Cup Final with every opponent wanting to trip us up! That's rugby for you!!

Sorry to see BSE slipping away, you’re such a great Club and deserve better. 
Ancient Oak View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ancient Oak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 12:48
Hi Halliford. Interesting to read your comments on last Saturday's encounter at yours. We had seven enforced changes, casualties from the previous week's bruising  Battle of the A21 v TJs - three scrum halves in the starting XV! Quite frankly we were expecting a drubbing so were pleased with our showing against the league leaders scoring 5 tries to Esher's 6. Got quite excited at 26-26 after 47 minutes but your guys always seemed able to step up a gear when called for. Very impressed by your fly half and the overall skill level of your backs in attack.
Good luck hereon. Cant honestly see anyone stopping you.
"Heaven prosper our sport"
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 21:09
Our fly half is definitely a star and he does help create space for two very quick wingers. I was disappointed with our forwards, they let you into the game more than they should. I think the player losses fave your guys a motivation which worked!

I don’t expect us to dominate the next 3 matches, we should win them but we will have to work hard. The four matches in April will need us to be on top form.
Happy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 18:45
Well played walsham a well deserved first win !!
sweatysock View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatysock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 10:06
So defeat for Esher keeps it interesting at the top with 3 teams in the mix. Esher remain favourites as they have played one game less. At the bottom, that remains tight for the best 13th place between the North and East. Worthing 38 pts, Wimbledon 33, Ionians 32 Billingham 31. Dudley in the West have 24 which seems a bridge too far
sweatysock View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatysock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 21:47
so another week sees Esher, Barnes and Dorking all on 91 pts and Wimbledon, Ionians and Billingham all on 33 pts with 4 to go. Esher still favorites with one more game to play, but very close. Worthing seem to be able to rest a bit easier - probably just need to pick up a point or 2. Relegation place is anyone's guess
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 15:14
Esher have 92 points to the 91 of Dorking and Barnes. 
Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 20:03
Which league will North Walsham be playing in next season?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 21:43
I guess Regional 1: South East, along with Shelford, Sudbury etc.
Sweeney Delenda Est
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 08:45
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Esher have 92 points to the 91 of Dorking and Barnes. 

Yes, that's correct; anyone who trusts the BBC for accurate league tables is making a mistake. They had the Hull/Rotherham score in important N2N match last w/e the wring way round too, altho' that has since been corrected at least...
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 15:59
For once the current bottom 3 in N1 consist of 2 from SW and 1 from SE.

So it is entirely possible Chester might revert to N2 next season.
RAID ON
PM009 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PM009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 13:12
As N2E heads into the last few games, albeit with plenty to play for at both ends of the table, keen to hear people’s thoughts on the league this year? It’s been disappointing to see Bury fall away after starting so well. TJs, after investing so heavily, again, have flattered to convince. Esher have been the standout, Dorking and Barnes have had strong seasons, but are a level below Esher from what I’ve seen.

It’s been good to see NW become competitive as the season has progressed, expect them to be strong at the level below next season. Worthing paying the price for a few seasons of mismanagement, TJs take note! Looking forward to the last few weeks Thumbs Up

Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 13:36
It’s only 2 down from Nat 1 plus 1 up
So many Christians not enough Lions
PM009 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PM009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 13:39
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

It’s only 2 down from Nat 1 plus 1 up

Don’t quote me but not sure that’s correct? 3 down from Nat 1 and the winner of each N2 league goes up. From Nat2 the bottom sides all go across the leagues, and of the 2nd bottom sides, the one with the best record stays up. So 5 down from N2 across the 3 leagues. 
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 14:38
I don't know the source, and I can't find a link on the RFU website, but I was sent this last week:

Following the demise of Jersey, the RFU have circulated clubs with the consequential impact of this on promotion and relegation.

For clarity, the details are as follows:

No club is relegated from the Championship
    Winners of National 1 are promoted to the Championship
    The bottom two clubs in National 1 are relegated to National 2
    The top team in each of the three National 2 leagues are promoted to National 1
    The winners of the six-level 5 leagues are promoted to National 2
    The clubs in 14th position in the three National 2 leagues are relegated to level 5
    The playing records of the three clubs in 13th position in the three National 2 leagues are compared. The club with the best playing record remains in National 2 and the other two are relegated to level 5
PM009 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PM009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 14:45
Originally posted by Mark W-J Mark W-J wrote:

I don't know the source, and I can't find a link on the RFU website, but I was sent this last week:

Following the demise of Jersey, the RFU have circulated clubs with the consequential impact of this on promotion and relegation.

For clarity, the details are as follows:

No club is relegated from the Championship
    Winners of National 1 are promoted to the Championship
    The bottom two clubs in National 1 are relegated to National 2
    The top team in each of the three National 2 leagues are promoted to National 1
    The winners of the six-level 5 leagues are promoted to National 2
    The clubs in 14th position in the three National 2 leagues are relegated to level 5
    The playing records of the three clubs in 13th position in the three National 2 leagues are compared. The club with the best playing record remains in National 2 and the other two are relegated to level 5

Thumbs Up
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 15:47
All of this is subject to no changes being agreed i the composition of the premiership or Championship.
We believe the premiership is continuing as a 10 team tournament.
We are expecting a decision on the Championship by Easter.

Many of the clubs in the Championship were pressing for an immediate expansion to 14 sides.

Which would mean three promoted from National 1 and no relegation and only one down from each national 2 league.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 20:57
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

All of this is subject to no changes being agreed i the composition of the premiership or Championship.
We believe the premiership is continuing as a 10 team tournament.
We are expecting a decision on the Championship by Easter.

Many of the clubs in the Championship were pressing for an immediate expansion to 14 sides.

Which would mean three promoted from National 1 and no relegation and only one down from each national 2 league.

That would assume RFU doesn't parachute any or all of Irish, Wasps and Worcester into the Championship
RAID ON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>
  Share Topic