National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Worcester & Wasps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 15:34
Heard on the grapevine - Ealing are eyeing up Wycombe as a venue for Premiership rugby
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 15:45
Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

Maybe a merger with Ealing? ......Ealing Wasps? Kills two birds with one stone and is 3.5 miles from Wasps original home.

What on Earth have Ealing done to deserve that?
Whistle watcher View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whistle watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 16:25
I heard a conversation on Saturday which suggested (again) that Wasps and Worcester may not be the only two to have financial issues this season, and that there may indeed be two more clubs with similar issues.  

8 team prem and 16 team Champ, anyone??  :-)

Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 16:32
Originally posted by Whistle watcher Whistle watcher wrote:

I heard a conversation on Saturday which suggested (again) that Wasps and Worcester may not be the only two to have financial issues this season, and that there may indeed be two more clubs with similar issues.  

8 team prem and 16 team Champ, anyone??  :-)

It will be interesting to see if either or both of Worcester and Wasps win their argument around Covid and the P share. 

If they do other clubs could follow suite in claiming insolvency and then prepack without debts and still hold onto the magical P share. 

Cynic, moi? 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 18:13
Would the P share be designated an asset ..   of value and be sold off to pay their debts ?.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 18:14
Auction off the P shares any takers ......highest bidder.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 18:28
You cannot do that under the articles of association.
The league, or rather PRL Investors Ltd. itself, buys them back.

I think the suggestion for ten team leagues was a 20 team Prem/Champ Cup
The alternative would be to add a third European tier - if you were to do that, I would move Euro Cup to May/June and play the third tier mid-week to get TV coverage. That way, you do not mix mid-week and weekend games.

Arranging that would take a lt of organization, which means you need to find someone able to find their elbow with both hands and a map.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 19:00
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

I don't think we will see any major changes to the Premiership or the Championship* until the existing Premiership deal runs out in 2024.  This gives time for everyone concerned to work out a format that is financially affordable. 

* bar next season going from 12 to 14 teams to include Worcester and Wasps. 

So - just checking how this could play out - to current 12 in Champ, you add Wuss + Wasps to get 14? But also a promoted team from Nat 1 to make 15? But then 'lose' a promoted club to Prem (if they meet criteria), giving Prem 12, if no-one comes down, and Champ 14?

That sounds far to sensible, so unlikely to happen
RAID ON
pen 15 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pen 15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 19:35
Better still wait until the Powers that be meet up and have a few free G&Ts then somebody will suggest something stupid and everyone can agree it's good for the game .
is it stours year yet
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 22:50
Originally posted by dropout22 dropout22 wrote:

Heard on the grapevine - Ealing are eyeing up Wycombe as a venue for Premiership rugby

That would be quite a surprise and turnaround from what had been stated at the club previously.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 06:57
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

That would be quite a surprise and turnaround from what had been stated at the club previously.

Rumours......

Would Ealing be required to find a temporary ground? I don't think so - they have the space to develop the existing facilities - the only real issue I see is access to the ground, and I am not sure that is as big a problem as some have previously alluded to. Granted the road down to the ground is challenging (what will the residents have to say - although allegedly Mr Gooley owns a number of houses down that road (? is this true?) and would he be able to influence objections if any were raised? 

Looking at their performance to date Ealing are on a run to take the crown and earn promotion this season, I just hope that some dodgy ruling doesn't obstruct them again this season.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 09:50
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Rumours......

Would Ealing be required to find a temporary ground? I don't think so - they have the space to develop the existing facilities - the only real issue I see is access to the ground, and I am not sure that is as big a problem as some have previously alluded to. Granted the road down to the ground is challenging (what will the residents have to say - although allegedly Mr Gooley owns a number of houses down that road (? is this true?) and would he be able to influence objections if any were raised? 

Looking at their performance to date Ealing are on a run to take the crown and earn promotion this season, I just hope that some dodgy ruling doesn't obstruct them again this season.

It depends if Vallis Way has all the required planning permission in place to meet the new hurdles (sorry minimum standards). If not, then an alternative ground already meeting those standards makes sense and gives Ealing time to develop Vallis Way, whilst they are playing in the Premiership. 

Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 10:00

Rumours......

True or not (no idea), if Gooley has tenants in those houses, then the protest or otherwise lies with them, not him.
I assume he wouldn't just be sitting on empty properties, would he? Or prepared to summarily throw tenants out?

Our City,
Our Club
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 11:37
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Rumours......

True or not (no idea), if Gooley has tenants in those houses, then the protest or otherwise lies with them, not him.
I assume he wouldn't just be sitting on empty properties, would he? Or prepared to summarily throw tenants out?

As I understand it, the tenants are all contracted players at the club - can’t see many objections coming from that quarter!
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 11:58

Ealing have a very difficult set of fixtures in April with three away games to Blues, Jersey & Donny. Donny is hitting great form and Jersey should finish strongly when Toby Venner is available to play behind their forwards so despite their great start, I expect Ealing will have to work for promotion and if they do finish in top spot, I also hope they are not obstructed again. They deserve their chance imo. 
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 13:02
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Ealing have a very difficult set of fixtures in April with three away games to Blues, Jersey & Donny. Donny is hitting great form and Jersey should finish strongly when Toby Venner is available to play behind their forwards so despite their great start, I expect Ealing will have to work for promotion and if they do finish in top spot, I also hope they are not obstructed again. They deserve their chance imo. 

Couldn't agree more CC
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 14:47
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

Rumours......

He owns a number of houses on the fringes , of which is offered to players and staff as part of their contract offers, of which they pay a minimal amount of rent for.

It depends if Vallis Way has all the required planning permission in place to meet the new hurdles (sorry minimum standards). If not, then an alternative ground already meeting those standards makes sense and gives Ealing time to develop Vallis Way, whilst they are playing in the Premiership. 

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 15:02
Provided the below market rent is declared as a benefit in kind, this is perfectly reasonable.
We know Worcester were providing housing for their academy players, until they were evicted when the company failed to meet the mortgage payments.
Sweeney Delenda Est
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 11:47
Update/speculation (delete as applicable) on the 'W-W' situation...

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 12:42
Any entity at Sixways looking to enter the Championship, would need to be a phoenix for Worcester, not Wasps.

If a new club were to form, it would need to join Worcester CB - and I would hope that they would listen to their existing members.

And surely Wasps Fc would need to approve any use of the name.
Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic