National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship Cup
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Forum LockedCaldy v Ampthill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caldy v Ampthill
    Posted: 04 Nov 2022 at 11:20
This Saturday Ampthill return to the Paton Field stadium to play Caldy in the first round of the Championship Cup. If the game and the occasion is as good as the league fixture a couple of weeks ago at Dillingham Park it should be a great day all round.

I travelled to Ampthill and I loved every moment of my first Ampthill experience. The pre match craic was the aperitiff to a great afternoon of sport and rugby enjoyment made memorable by a number of unique perspectives.

- The walk through the woods to a brilliant playing surface cut into the side of the hill was surely unique at this level of rugby and my first impression was to recall numerous video clips of the most dangerous airstrips in the world. Dillingham Park would surely feature if Caldy's Paul Harrison was to try and land his gyrocopter there.

- Talking with Paul Turner after the game was a confidence boost. This most knowledgeable of players and coaches is not renowned for false praise and his exhortations for Caldy to realise how competitive they were at Championship level made an impression.

However the absolute highlight of my afternoon at Dillingham Park came in conversation with ex Bridgend and Pontypridd no 8 Nathan Strong. This giant of a man had travelled with his mother from South Wales that morning to watch his son Morgan Strong play against Caldy.

Nathan and his mother both looked at least 20 years younger than I suspect they are and being in their company was a delight. I learnt how and why Wales under 20 player Morgan had turned down a renewed contract at the Ospreys to come to play at Ampthill under Paul Turner and we reminicsed about rugby matches and incidents.

Nathan told me one of the funniest of rugby stories. Playing for Bridgend against Cardiff he had been up against the legendary Tongan Maama Molitika. The match was physical and there was some hard rucking and rough house play which the referee was struggling to clamp down on.

After one such incident Molitika was left with a bloodied scalp and face. The man in the middle summoned Nathan to explain why he was going to be carded. Nathan's protestaions of innocence cut no ice with the  official who instead pointed to Nathan's right boot.

Looking down at the size 13 it was clear to everyone who the culprit was. Wrapped around and entangled with Nathan's boot was Molitika's white head guard.

No disputing that call!

Edited by Big Eddie - 04 Nov 2022 at 11:38
''The future isn't what it used to be''
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2022 at 13:23
LOL

MM formerly* of Ampthill of course… 

* unless he’s still there?!
Cov kid 42 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cov kid 42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2022 at 15:42
''The walk through the Woods'' can be far from fun when it is wet & muddy
John Butler
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2022 at 17:58
Originally posted by Cov kid 42 Cov kid 42 wrote:

''The walk through the Woods'' can be far from fun when it is wet & muddy
I can imagine it's pretty fraught for you John, yes.
Our City,
Our Club
Elijah Cadman View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elijah Cadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 09:13
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

This Saturday Ampthill return to the Paton Field stadium to play Caldy in the first round of the Championship Cup. If the game and the occasion is as good as the league fixture a couple of weeks ago at Dillingham Park it should be a great day all round.

I travelled to Ampthill and I loved every moment of my first Ampthill experience. The pre match craic was the aperitiff to a great afternoon of sport and rugby enjoyment made memorable by a number of unique perspectives.

- The walk through the woods to a brilliant playing surface cut into the side of the hill was surely unique at this level of rugby and my first impression was to recall numerous video clips of the most dangerous airstrips in the world. Dillingham Park would surely feature if Caldy's Paul Harrison was to try and land his gyrocopter there.

- Talking with Paul Turner after the game was a confidence boost. This most knowledgeable of players and coaches is not renowned for false praise and his exhortations for Caldy to realise how competitive they were at Championship level made an impression.

However the absolute highlight of my afternoon at Dillingham Park came in conversation with ex Bridgend and Pontypridd no 8 Nathan Strong. This giant of a man had travelled with his mother from South Wales that morning to watch his son Morgan Strong play against Caldy.

Nathan and his mother both looked at least 20 years younger than I suspect they are and being in their company was a delight. I learnt how and why Wales under 20 player Morgan had turned down a renewed contract at the Ospreys to come to play at Ampthill under Paul Turner and we reminicsed about rugby matches and incidents.

Nathan told me one of the funniest of rugby stories. Playing for Bridgend against Cardiff he had been up against the legendary Tongan Maama Molitika. The match was physical and there was some hard rucking and rough house play which the referee was struggling to clamp down on.

After one such incident Molitika was left with a bloodied scalp and face. The man in the middle summoned Nathan to explain why he was going to be carded. Nathan's protestaions of innocence cut no ice with the  official who instead pointed to Nathan's right boot.

Looking down at the size 13 it was clear to everyone who the culprit was. Wrapped around and entangled with Nathan's boot was Molitika's white head guard.

No disputing that call!

Well today I find myself wending my way across the North and into the country lanes of the wirral/Cheshire.
Looking forward to what could well be a good tussle.  I hope you have saved Big Eddie my stand seat!
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 09:45
Elijah…… I understand that the seated areas are already solidly booked out but there will always be space around the field for you
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 10:07
Hi Elijah, since your last visit we have had 4 new Memorial benches which has increased our seating by 20%. Unfortunately, our new retractable roof on the stand cannot be opened due to the high winds. The rain has been constant, and we have had to swap the ambulance for inshore rescue!!
Elijah Cadman View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elijah Cadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 09:10
Well Caldy, and I mean this in a good way, hasnt changed.  Still a real rugby club ethos.  Same characters walking around, pint in hand.  All seem proud of their journey and also enjoying the experience. As to it should be said Ampthill.  Great to be able to speak with coaches, players and supporters.  Of course they continue to see 'dimly through their own lens but will one day see clearly im sure! :)

The brand new umbrella which was purchased just in case the weather descended and swept across the vast expanse lasted all of 16 minutes before it was ripped in two by what can be best described as a heavy shower!  Pleased to share in Gareths birthday celebrations :)  I look forward to my next visit.  I look forward to Big Eddies exposition of the text of the game. 
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 10:41
Elijah,

It was most enjoyable to catch up with you again. Caldy hasn't changed one jot and neither have you. Take care my friend.

PS Degsy sends his regards
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 15:52
BE - will Caldy be hoovering up Wasps / Worcester players as Ampthill are doing?
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 14:07
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

BE - will Caldy be hoovering up Wasps / Worcester players as Ampthill are doing?

There seem to be a number of clubs "hoovering up" former Wasps & Worcester players and not just Ampthill.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic