National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Ealing Crowd numbers matter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 20:57
Originally posted by Geoff DC Geoff DC wrote:

Maybe it's a name thing. Ealing sounds like somewhere you get lost in London.

Premiership Clubs don't make a fuss about their location:-

Saracens are not called Barnet
Quins are not called Twickenham
London Irish are not called Brentford
Wasps are not called M1/M45 or currently 'Solihull ????'
Leicester, Northampton, Bath, Exeter, Sale, Newcastle, Worcester, Gloucester.........locations
Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 23:17
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

Leicester, Northampton, Bath, Exeter, Sale, Newcastle, Worcester, Gloucester.........locations

So by that token:

London Ealing / London Saracens / London Quins / London, London Irish / London NOT London Wasps
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 12:00

Three of those four would have had a number of name changes in recent years if they were named after their location.
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 15:29
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Blues was a 5,000 crowd (sold out over 2 weeks before) and could probably have been 7,500+ if we could get them in. Even if it was not an Ampthill game it would have been 5,000, as it is a bit of a tradition.

Boxing Day for the Blues is always a big money day!

We wouldn’t know what we would get as a Boxing Day fixture as Jersey have never been awarded a home tie in all the years that we have played at this level.

This is where the league has changed for the worse, as before you would either get a Boxing Day game or one on or near to New Years Day, so all clubs had one home and one away game so could benefit from a bumper gate.

We tend to get a home fixture the weekend before Christmas, which is nice as fans can wear Christmas jumpers and hats etc, but it also keeps the numbers down as people are busy before Christmas (as Bedford found out on a freezing cold Saturday afternoon this year). I would love a home Boxing day game. The pressure is off Christmas wise, everyone is in a good mood, it is a great family experience etc. etc.
I am sure that there are other clubs who are in the same boat and do not benefit from a sell out (or as close to it as you can get) crowd.
Tackle Low!!!!!
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 15:55
Games can be managed better if people think about it, Leicester City and Tigers used to have fixture clashes, till the police put their foot down and quoted crowd safety/policing grounds, now the clashes are avoided. This could be taken a step further, when the Tigers at away, the fixtures for Leicester Lions/Hinckley/Loughboro' Students could be at home and maybe pick up some support from those not able/wanting to travel to Exeter of Newcastle, sure this could apply for other sides/areas too to spread the crowds around.
IainS View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 16:07
Admittedly it's 25 years ago but I remember when Coventry last made a serious challenge for promotion to the top tier they were attracting crowds of 4,000-8,000. Bedford achieved similar numbers.

That was before ringfencing-in-all-but name reduced the number of teams eligible for promotion through rules primacy of tenure, ground capacities of 10,000 plus etc. All conveniently applied to clubs seeking promotion but not those already in the top tier.

So in recent years the Championship title race has usually been a foregone conclusion, everyone knowing that the newly relegated team complete with P-shares and parachute payment will run away with the league. If anyone else had the temerity to mount a challenge, they were not eligible for promotion anyway. Those who tried to break in (i.e. London Welsh) were doomed by the rules they had to comply with, so no one much wanted to follow their example.

If most exciting thing about any league is who will win the title/be promoted, then there was boredom built in to the very structure of the Championship. And they wondered why attendances were so low.

In the event that the artificially steep step up to the premiership was smoothed, for example by allowing a ground capacity of 5,000, including temporary stands, more clubs might see top tier rugby as a realistic prospect and there could then be a genuine promotion race involving four or five clubs with a chance of promotion. I suspect that in such circumstances Championship attendances would be rather higher than they are now.
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 16:32
Originally posted by IainS IainS wrote:

Admittedly it's 25 years ago but I remember when Coventry last made a serious challenge for promotion to the top tier they were attracting crowds of 4,000-8,000. Bedford achieved similar numbers.

That was before ringfencing-in-all-but name reduced the number of teams eligible for promotion through rules primacy of tenure, ground capacities of 10,000 plus etc. All conveniently applied to clubs seeking promotion but not those already in the top tier.

So in recent years the Championship title race has usually been a foregone conclusion, everyone knowing that the newly relegated team complete with P-shares and parachute payment will run away with the league. If anyone else had the temerity to mount a challenge, they were not eligible for promotion anyway. Those who tried to break in (i.e. London Welsh) were doomed by the rules they had to comply with, so no one much wanted to follow their example.

If most exciting thing about any league is who will win the title/be promoted, then there was boredom built in to the very structure of the Championship. And they wondered why attendances were so low.

In the event that the artificially steep step up to the premiership was smoothed, for example by allowing a ground capacity of 5,000, including temporary stands, more clubs might see top tier rugby as a realistic prospect and there could then be a genuine promotion race involving four or five clubs with a chance of promotion. I suspect that in such circumstances Championship attendances would be rather higher than they are now.

That makes way too much sense for the RFU to ever consider doing something so sensible.
Tackle Low!!!!!
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 21:24
Originally posted by IainS IainS wrote:

There you have it in a nutshell. When Pirates were in a couple of play-offs (remember them?) our crowds were up in the 2/3 thousand for the big games. When we had a proper cup competition (The B and I remember that?) we sold out the Camborne ground weeks before the final. The powers that be seem to have been deliberately sidelining Championship clubs by introducing a meaningless cup competition, doing away with play-offs and making it virtually impossible for the top team to be promoted (unless it's the relegated Prem team).  If you don't have meaningful matches many punters will not bother to turn up. Add to that the savage cutting of funding and it's plain that, for most clubs, it's a massive struggle just to keep going. 
*Stalwart
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 19:24
Some very important posts on this thread imo. Promotion & Relegation are central to keeping supporters' interest in leagues. Jersey had incredible support when they teetered on the edge of relegation - hundreds spent serious money and travelled to Bedford for that wonderful day at GR when against all odds they won and stayed up. This season with no prospect of relegation or promotion support is half those levels. Promotion and relegation should be determined on the field with the best team going up and the failing team going down. If Ealing can afford a better team than Jersey and win the league I'm not in the least bothered whether their supporters are taller, richer or have more spaniels than me they should be promoted. 
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Park Ranger View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Park Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 20:45
About 10 or more years ago I can recall attending the Jersey v Loughborough Students play off match in Jersey with a big crowd present that day. Onn the other end of the scale I also remember attending an Ealing v Rosslyn Park match at Ealing with about 350 in the ground which Park won. After the match the spectators departed quickly leaving me in the Ealing bar almost alone to reflect on our victory. Jonny no mates style. Needless to say the Ealing v Park match had no bearing on promotion or relegation.
If you're not on the pitch you can't win the game
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 21:18
Originally posted by Park Ranger Park Ranger wrote:

About 10 or more years ago I can recall attending the Jersey v Loughborough Students play off match in Jersey with a big crowd present that day. Onn the other end of the scale I also remember attending an Ealing v Rosslyn Park match at Ealing with about 350 in the ground which Park won. After the match the spectators departed quickly leaving me in the Ealing bar almost alone to reflect on our victory. Jonny no mates style. Needless to say the Ealing v Park match had no bearing on promotion or relegation.

One of the matches you mention is among the oldest surviving match reports on the Reds' website... it was quite a day

Edited by islander - 30 Dec 2022 at 21:18
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Park Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 23:31
Thanks for the match report Islander - I was guilty of too much alcohol in your clubhouse that day so don't recall any of the action on the pitch. The match report mentions your full back. He slotted the longest penalty kick I have ever seen at Priory Lane (I have been following Rosslyn Park since 1964) - a full 60 m plus effort when Jersey comfortably won that day. To get back to the Ealing thread. Sir Mike has done amazing things at Ealing and I do hope he lives to see his team play at the top table. They deserve that opportunity and I do not see them being another London Welsh and losing every game in the Premiership. 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Park Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 23:37
An attendance that day in 2011 of 3100 is incredible for a National Two match.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 08:54

The Jersey side back in those days was genuinely "local" and many of the squad back in 2011 played in the veterans' Nash Cup match this year against Guernsey. A full time professional squad which can compete against Ealing is fitter and wins more games at a higher level but may not have the same connection.
Isithalftimeyet View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isithalftimeyet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 09:58

I think we had over 3500 for the visit of your own team the following season.  A crucial game at that point in the season where RP were going well too.
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 11:18
Promotion and relegation so important for crowd numbers and purpose. 

DMP had over 5000 for their two end of season games against Macclesfield and then a play off against Apmthill to get into National 1!!

But I think to get back to thread, yes I do hope Ealing get their shot at the Premiership and realise one mans dream but if they fail to garner any support I am not sure really what they are achieving!!?
Run with it
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 12:40
Originally posted by Isithalftimeyet Isithalftimeyet wrote:

I think we had over 3500 for the visit of your own team the following season.  A crucial game at that point in the season where RP were going well too.

I remember that day well. First game of the New Year, stunning day, no wind and blue skies, but brisk. The crowds were still coming in 20 minutes into the 1st half (just under 4,000 if memory serves). I think that whoever won went top. Great game, I can’t remember the score, but I know that Jersey won. I think that it is still our largest crowd for a league game (Islander?).
Tackle Low!!!!!
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 12:54
Here's that match report:

And yes I think 3,600 is a league record. With the various containers/toilets/bars installed since then, we'd have a job squeezing that many in these days. There were 3,300 there when we beat Irish in March 2017...

Some nostalgia about the Reds squad being entirely 'local' back in the day - in reality it was more mixed eg for that Loughborough game in 2011 about a third of the 20-man squad were born-and-bred here, another third came to Jersey for mix of work & rugby, while the remaining third moved specifically as pro rugby players.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 14:00
The Jersey crowd were once considered to be nearly as good as an extra man on the pitch. Anyone who was there when they beat London Irish with that incredible late try after goodness knows how many phases will surely remember the crowd noise - they must have heard it in Cork. I have mates who support London Irish and they still treasure the experience even though their team lost. 
newlynbucca View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newlynbucca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 14:38
This issue of promotion and relegation is so vital to generating crowds.
In the Pirates play-off final season that Stalwart refers to earlier, it wasn't really the final that Pirates will remember, as we were, to be fair, well beaten by London Welsh in Oxford. They were a very useful side, and our people were fairly tired and downbeat after losing the home leg too, and just to make everything worse, in the days before the final Cornwall Council had unilaterally announced their withdrawal of support (again!) for the stadium project. So it was a fairly gloomy set of Pirates and supporters who trekked up to Oxford, and the right side won comfortably.
But all Pirates supporters will remember a semi-final match. With a sellout of the Mennaye, and with Sky and all in attendance, the Pirates gave the red-hot favourites for promotion - Bristol - an absolute lesson in fast open running rugby. We all found it difficult to believe, and even the Sky commentators couldn't really believe what they were seeing. But it only mattered because promotion hung on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic