National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Wasps/Worcester

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23242526>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 19:50
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

With Wasps, the professional club, Wasps RFC, owned the IP in the redesigned badge and presumably in the name.

So the receiver could sell that to Mr Carpenter, and he can act as the Chairman of a club with no pitch and no team. With Wasps FC getting forgotten.

Similarly, the Warriors brand belongs to the professional club, not to Worcester RFC.

Who, if anyone, owns the rights to the name London Irish?

Hopefully, it reverted to the amateur club. 

There is certainly a lot more discussion of the amateur club on their message boards, that there ever is on either of the other two.

I think that it's still owned by the amalgamated Irish/Scottish/Richmond company (which interestingly is apparently registered as a company in American Samoa!)

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcase/page/Results/1/UK00003473958

But the fact is that London Irish Amateur own that name (though play as London Irish Wild Geese) and Wasps amateurs are officially Wasps FC (when I pointed that out they existed to a Wasps fan, asked me if they were a football club!).  I guess that they could do a London Welsh Amateur and just claim the name if no other club is using it if they wanted to.
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2024 at 13:19
Wasps no longer considering temporary Sixways move as they pursue new stadium

Wasps have confirmed they will not use the former Sixways Stadium of Worcester Warriors as an interim home when the club is cleared to return to rugby.

The six-time Premiership champions were based in Coventry when they went into administration in October 2022.

Club legend Kenny Logan was hopeful they would initially choose Sixways, prior to relocating to Kent.

But a Wasps spokesperson said they will use a temporary base in the "Greater London and South East England Area".

The spokesperson added: "Wasps have never considered Sixways as a permanent home and were involved only to facilitate an option to play at the stadium on a temporary basis.

"Our intended permanent home is now in Kent, where we are actively pursuing our new stadium."
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2024 at 17:41
The statement also says they are looking for a competition that shares their values. Well that’s a relief. I cannot think of any rugby union competition that shares the Wasps values.
Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2024 at 20:17
LOL
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 08:50
Originally posted by Cherub Cherub wrote:

The statement also says they are looking for a competition that shares their values. Well that’s a relief. I cannot think of any rugby union competition that shares the Wasps values.

Probably going to join a political party
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 18:02
Originally posted by Cherub Cherub wrote:

Sadly I suspect the RFU Committee do.
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 11:13
Originally posted by Paul10 Paul10 wrote:

Parc Y Scarlets is about 15,000 and cost 23M in 2008.

Is there a newer small stadium? There must be but stadia are generally built bigger than that to be able to house other facilities.

Plough Lane in Wimbledon is just under 10,000 but that cost £34 million.
[/QUOTE]

That's a better comparison.
[/QUOTE]

Scarlets CEO just quoted £45M to build the Parc Y Scarlets now.

Add several Ms to do that close to London
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 16:33

Parc Y Scarlets is about 15,000 and cost 23M in 2008.

Is there a newer small stadium? There must be but stadia are generally built bigger than that to be able to house other facilities.

Plough Lane in Wimbledon is just under 10,000 but that cost £34 million.

That's a better comparison.
[/QUOTE]

Scarlets CEO just quoted £45M to build the Parc Y Scarlets now.

Add several Ms to do that close to London
[/QUOTE]

Probably add a 0 on the end, taking land prices in SE England into account
RAID ON
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 16:47
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 17:04
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

https://www.planetrugby.com/news/exclusive-the-us-is-an-option-for-wasps-revival-kenny-logan-reveals

I'm glad to see I was right to call them a franchise if this is true they want to take it to MLR.

Interesting idea, I was surprised they didn't try to copy what the RFL did in Toronto though I can't think the RFU will cover the travel expenses like Jersey and Guernsey.  Perhaps they might requires the USA Wasps to cover the travel of all those Kent 3 clubs they will be playing against like the other code ordered Toronto Wolfpack to do? LOL

This is all the more reason why they must be forced to restart at the bottom of the pyramid if they choose to persist with this ridiculous notion of reviving a zombie club.

Edited by Robb - 22 Apr 2024 at 17:07
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 17:21
I'm very uneasy that they try to lump in an excellent cause in Dodie's charity, with a club who doesn't pay it's debts off.
JAB87 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAB87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 22:03
The Planet Rugby article draws comparison (often quoted elsewhere by Wasps supporters) with the “Coventry” administration in late 2009, and that Cov were not required to start at the bottom of the league pyramid.
Whilst all corporate insolvencies are extremely regrettable, my recollection is that Cov met with all the RFU requirements at the time, and completed all the fixtures in that season.
Contrast this with the Wasps situation where they entered administration early in the 22-23 season, failing to complete the vast majority of their fixtures.  In December 2022, “new” Wasps announced on their own website (it is still there) that agreement had been reached with the RFU for their return in the 23-24 season in the Championship.  It now appears that they do not intend to return to competitive rugby until 25-26.
I find it quite disingenuous to claim that Wasps were not given the same opportunity as Cov to restart.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 22:09
Our City,
Our Club
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 22:46
I see Jack Willis has said he won’t return to Wasps unless they have a long-term future. Could someone tell him they haven’t and to stop worrying about it? These Wasps “legends” are delusional.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 22:49
I remember Wasps efforts to support from Richmond and London Scottish to restart at a high level.
And the rugby world has offered as much support to Wasps.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Exiled_Scots View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
London Scottish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exiled_Scots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 14:13
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I remember Wasps efforts to support from Richmond and London Scottish to restart at a high level.
And the rugby world has offered as much support to Wasps.

Poor Kenny must be suffering from selective memory loss as there is absolutely no mention in the article on his heavy involvement with LS in their ascent back up the leagues from the bottom rung. 

Clearly this does not align with his current Wasps rugby agenda and looks like he does not wish to repeat things and rather they just skip the efforts required to restore the club at the upper end of the rugby pyramid. 
Watch Out - The Scottish Phoenix Club is on the Up!!

Seven down one to go
Stoatgobbler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoatgobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 17:38
Haven't Wasps got an amateur team in the lower reaches?
Why doesn't Logan channel his energy into them, rather than hawking some pathetic 'franchise' around the world leagues.

Next up, Dallaglio and Wasps in the French Pro D2.

Maybe a new Wasps could form a 2 team league with Georgia?
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 17:47
Originally posted by Stoatgobbler Stoatgobbler wrote:

One of the RFU's constitutional aims is to spread the word. Surely Wasps would get financial aid to form/participate in a pan-European Tier 2 clubs league. It would keep them out of our hair  Shocked and encourage the Tier 2 6 Nations.

"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 19:53
It does jar a bit that articles about Mr Logan focus on his association with My Name5 Doddie, a cause that unites everyone in rugby, and Wasps, who, err... don't
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 22:16
Originally posted by Stoatgobbler Stoatgobbler wrote:

Haven't Wasps got an amateur team in the lower reaches?
Why doesn't Logan channel his energy into them, rather than hawking some pathetic 'franchise' around the world leagues.

Next up, Dallaglio and Wasps in the French Pro D2.

Yes they do, Wasps FC. 

When I've mentioned it to all the franchise fans, they genuinely act surprised. Almost like they never knew there was rugby outside of the top 2 tiers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23242526>
  Share Topic